IGNORED

Tell me about the ColecoVision...

Sauron

Within the last couple of years I've whittled my gaming collection down to pretty much only my Atari systems (not counting my modern consoles). However, there's one system that I've always wanted to own but never have...the ColecoVision. Lately I've been getting the itch to buy a system and start discovering its gems. So, can anyone tell me what I need to know about it? How much do the systems generally go for? Any particular models to avoid? What games should I look into getting for it right away? Any information on where to start collecting for this system (including purchasing the system itself) would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

If i recall correctly There was only one released version, the standard Coleco vision

There were plans to upgrade the colecovision for using higher data storage devices (similar to sinclair's waferdrive disks) the system was going to be called 'the super game module' ,the system was scrapped in favour of the coleco Adam (basically a coleco, with computer keyboard and the super game module upgrade)

There was an attempt by a British company (Palan Electronics) to re-release the system in the late 80's...I don't know how successful that was

An interesting footnote is that CBS electronics (one of the main 3rd party colecovision games publishers) had the european and UK sales & marketing rights to the colecovison hardware apparently

I love the Colecovision. Some people dislike the controllers but I think they are awesome. You can always use an Atari joystick for games that only require one button and then use the second player controller for the # buttons. One issue that comes up with Colecovisions is the power supply connection. Sometimes it becomes bad and will give you a realy fuzzy picture. I cleaned off the traces on the motherboard and re-soldered the connections on mine and now the picture is crystal clear. The wall wart is huge but that's not a big deal.

If you like Arcade games then the Colecovision has plenty of good ones to choose from. Some awesome games to get right away would be Lady Bug, Frenzy, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong JR, Pepper II, Defender, Mr. Do!, Centipede, Slither, Gyrus, Frogger, Popeye, H.E.R.O., Jumpman Jr, Mousetrap, Galaxian (If you don't mind spending about $30), and many many more. I also recomend getting the roller controller to play Centipede & Slither with.

The ColecoVision is one of my favorite classic early 1980s systems. It had some arcade game translations that I only discovered playing in places where obscure arcade games were the norm, like the long-defunct Cheap Skates/Chateau Complex rollerskating rink in Swansea, MA -- Ladybug being the primary one. It also had Smurf: Rescue In Gargamel's Castle, which was a pretty good game for that system that I felt should have been made into an arcade game, it's THAT good. It's got a pair of controllers with a rather stiff control knob that makes playing arcade/action games a chore, though it's less of a headache than the Atari 5200 controller's control stick, and besides you can hook up Atari 2600 controllers to its controller ports and play games using them (mostly games that use just a single action button and no keypad input). It's got expansion modules like the one that you can play Atari 2600 games through the ColecoVision, and the Adam Family Computer System module somebody else had already mentioned. The only thing it didn't have was a long market life -- the Video Game Crash of 1984 helped kill it after about two years, not to mention Coleco's failure with the Adam Family Computer System and the runaway "success" of the Cabbage Patch Kids. Nonetheless, I still enjoy playing what it has to offer, though nowadays I can only play ColecoVision games through a system emulator (like Cologne for the GBA) because I ended up throwing out my unused and decrepit Adam computer after 22 years.

The negative to me with Colecovision collecting is that you need to make some decisions if you are a completist. One can affordably collect the entire 5200 library over time (excluding BBSB). This is not the case with the Colecovision (you have some rare/obscure/expensive ones) and there are carts which in my opinion are not as desirable; for example, all the education carts, the double-enders (NTSC but not released in the U.S. I believe), and all the Telegames releases (ugly carts and manuals from a re-seller company). Also, I don't like the Super Action sticks - they are way too bulky and overly-complicated. However, all in all, the Colecovision is a really good one.

One small caveat about the Colecovision... while it was a great system in the day, it can feel a little redundant now in the post-MAME era, as almost all of it's games are arcade ports. There are a very few exception, like Smurf and WarGames, but the CV library has far fewer original games than other classic consoles. So while it was a great machine for 'bringing the arcade home' in the 80's, you may not feel a need for it now if you play a lot of MAME.

Having said that, it's worth noting that very few of the arcade games that were ported to the CV have been included in the legal arcade compilations. If you want to play a legal version of Mousetrap, Cosmic Avenger, Looping, Frenzy, Pepper II, etc. without having an actual arcade machine, the ColecoVision is still an excellent choice.

$75 for a modded CV is an excellent price. I paid more than that for my un-modded system and then paid even more to get the darn thing fixed and later modded. I LOVE my CV but the joysticks are not the best. The Super Action Controllers are nice but only work on certain games. The Roller Controller is a must for Centipede and Slither and the driving module is great for Turbo (one of my all-time Arcade fave's). Collecting for the system can get pricey but you can still get some good deals from time to time. Most of the really fun games are still affordable. It also has an active HomeBrew following but I haven't purchased any of those yet. I've been collecting the CV for about 2 years and I have half of the collection (US). If I weren't so cheap I could have probably completed it by now. I think I have seen every available game on ebay at one time or another over the past two years.

Az has one over at DP (and it's a/v modded). It's $75 which is a great price considering a mod is almost $40. Look in the marketplace and his username is something like oxxoxx. Good guy. If it's still there.

Hi there. I'm new here (n00b!!!) so please forgive me. What's DP?

Just bought an A/V modded ColecoVision for $65 off of the evilBay yesterday. Hoping to snag some games before long.

De

One small caveat about the Colecovision... while it was a great system in the day, it can feel a little redundant now in the post-MAME era, as almost all of it's games are arcade ports. There are a very few exception, like Smurf and WarGames, but the CV library has far fewer original games than other classic consoles. So while it was a great machine for 'bringing the arcade home' in the 80's, you may not feel a need for it now if you play a lot of MAME.

Having said that, it's worth noting that very few of the arcade games that were ported to the CV have been included in the legal arcade compilations. If you want to play a legal version of Mousetrap, Cosmic Avenger, Looping, Frenzy, Pepper II, etc. without having an actual arcade machine, the ColecoVision is still an excellent choice.

And baseball! Don't forget baseball, with the little spinner wheel on the controller...wheeeeeeee! Oh, how I loved that game.

Edited by cephallus

I love the Colecovision. Some people dislike the controllers but I think they are awesome. You can always use an Atari joystick for games that only require one button and then use the second player controller for the # buttons. One issue that comes up with Colecovisions is the power supply connection. Sometimes it becomes bad and will give you a realy fuzzy picture. I cleaned off the traces on the motherboard and re-soldered the connections on mine and now the picture is crystal clear. The wall wart is huge but that's not a big deal.

If you like Arcade games then the Colecovision has plenty of good ones to choose from. Some awesome games to get right away would be Lady Bug, Frenzy, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong JR, Pepper II, Defender, Mr. Do!, Centipede, Slither, Gyrus, Frogger, Popeye, H.E.R.O., Jumpman Jr, Mousetrap, Galaxian (If you don't mind spending about $30), and many many more. I also recomend getting the roller controller to play Centipede & Slither with.

You could also use a Sega Genesis Controller!! XD

~Aaron

http://www.datamuncher.webs.com/

^^Classic Nintendo Reviews^^

Cant go wrong with the ColecoVision.I love its sound,very close to arcade,some dead on.I have 5 CV's now,and all worked fine .The stock CV power supply's arent very reliable in my experience,out of 10 i find,2-3 would be good.And i've had a couple with cracked solder joints inside the rf modulator box inside the console where the rf cable plugs in the console,which ive easily fixed,that was the cause of fuzzy,breaking up picture,or screen going blank.Thats about it for me.Cant be too hard on the CV,i mean the thing is close to 30 years old,and it and other classic consoles have held up pretty damn good considering!Some have expressed problems with the power switch,i still have to encounter that one.The CV wasnt built rugged like say the atari consoles were,(were built pretty cheaply really)but still had great games,and is worth every penny.Gotta get Frogger,Burgertime,Jungle Hunt,Frenzy,H.E.R.O.,Popeye,Pepper 1&2,Dk,Dkjr,CV Dragonfire and Fathom are real eye candy,and whole bunch others are just great for the CV.

Edited by Rik

I never had a CV back in the day but bought one a couple of months ago.

Instead of collecting carts and spending hundreds of dollars doing so, I strongly recommend the ColecoVision 128-in-1 USB Flash Cartridge

cvkit_3.jpg

I bought one of these and never looked back - it works better than I could have expected and keeps wear and tear from switching carts a thing of the past!

Must have games:

Q*Bert

Fortune BUilder

Frenzy

Frogger

Jumpman Junior

MOntezuma's Revenge

Pepper II

MOuse Trap

War Games

2010: Graphic ACtion

BC's Quest for TIres

I have more, but IMHO those are the essentials.

I dont mention Zaxxon because I have the ADAM version which is light years better

The thing that get's me is, why did Coleco announce the 'super game module' when they knew that they were'nt going to release it...As i understand that it was being developed in tandem or at the same time as the Computer upgrade (The 'Adam')

Firstly, Coleco announced a lot of things that never came about.. I recall word of an Intellivision module.

And as far as I was aware, the super game module was scrapped because the tech wasnt that great, and plus they had to shift production to the ADAM because of a lawsuit rgarding it not being available (or am I confusing that with the Intellivision?)