IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 46: Spider Fighter

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Oh no! Your garden is being overrun with insects! Your prize-winning harvest is about to be stolen unless you act quickly, so ready your insect blaster and prepare to fire at will, because this week's game is Spider Fighter!

s_SpiderFighter_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Spider Fighter
  • Released By: Activision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Expert Game
  • Right Difficulty: Your Choice (A - Straight Shots, B - Guided)
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday July 30th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 608,870 (homerwannabee) [+11]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  2. 526,730 (toymailman) [+10]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  3. 225,530 (SpiceWare) [+9]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  4. 166,800 (darthkur) [+8]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  5. 135,140 (LarcenTyler) [+7]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  6. 131,660 (LaserHawk) [+6]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  7. 127,110 (Deteacher) [+5]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  8. 87,790 (midnight magicman) [+4]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  9. 57,240 (Kurt_Woloch) [+3]SpiderFighter.jpg[+1]
  10. 36,520 (Captain Beard) [+2]
  11. 26,580 (Impaler_26) [+1]
  12. 19,300 (aftermac) [+1]
  13. 18,970 (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]
  14. 14,690 (Shannon) [+1]

Best Tips
  • LarcenTyler [+2]

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Spider Fighters - Score 40,000 points or higher and you get 1 bonus point.

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 900,000 (Todd Rogers, David B Yancey, Douglas C Korekach, Keith C Post, Christian L Keilback, Frankie Cardulla)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [435]
  2. toymailman [395]
  3. aftermac [239]
  4. keilbaca [225]
  5. SpiceWare [190]
  6. Captain Beard [183]
  7. Impaler_26 [180]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [173]
  9. theking21083 [143]
  10. homerwannabee [90]
  11. Nathan Strum [88]
  12. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  13. phaxda [83]
  14. Mister VCS [77]
  15. StanJr [75]
  16. Gemini [75]
  17. rheffera [65]
  18. LarcenTyler [60]
  19. midnight magicman [58]
  20. DarthCalvin [54]
  21. shadow460 [48]
  22. godzillajoe [45]
  23. Recycled [44]
  24. Bentley Bear! [44]
  25. the 5th ghost [42]
  26. Blackjack [35]
  27. Christophero Sly [35]
  28. darthkur [34]
  29. ed1475 [25]
  30. Rom Hunter [23]
  31. jjd [22]
  32. opeygon [21]
  33. Shannon [19]
  34. Butterwasp [18]
  35. jimdandy75 [17]
  36. cosmosiss [16]
  37. iangamer [15]
  38. doctorclu [13]
  39. Thomas Jentzsch [13]
  40. tremoloman2006 [12]
  41. RJ [12]
  42. theKLT [12]
  43. lucifershalo [12]
  44. LaserHawk [10]
  45. Artlover [9]
  46. atariwarrior [9]
  47. Dauber [9]
  48. atari2600land [8]
  49. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  50. Vectorman0 [7]
  51. Krytol [7]
  52. keitaro [7]
  53. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  54. Goochman [6]
  55. Omegamatrix [6]
  56. Phantom [5]
  57. chuckwalla [5]
  58. Nognir [5]
  59. MrBeefy [5]
  60. Elerach [3]
  61. Crazy Climber [3]
  62. SeaGtGruff [3]
  63. hrecker [2]
  64. gospeedde [2]
  65. Snider-man [2]
  66. EricDeLee [1]
  67. Whickeycolumbus [1]
  68. jboypacman [1]
  69. paddleperson [1]
  70. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  71. HatNJ [1]
  72. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Spider Fighter
  • Master Nest - 100 points
  • Stinger - 50 points
  • Spy Pod - 50 points
  • Green Widow - 30 points
  • Point values for insects are multiplied when you are protecting certain fruit: insects are worth twice as much when protecting grapes, four times as much for strawberries, and eight times as the regular game point values when bananas are present.
  • Bonus points: If you manage to save all three fruit in a wave, and you also have four bug blasters in reserve, then you will receive 400 bonus points.

Hints and Tips
  • There are various strategies you can experiment with, but one of the most effective that I have found is to first gun down the lone Spy Pod. If you can exterminate that Pod, you halt the flow of reinforcements. Afterwards, you can pick off the rest of the attackers, leaving the Master Nest for last.
  • Occasionally, the Master Nest will release a continuous stream of Spy Pods, and each one you hit seems to be replaced. If this happens, you must immediately destroy the Master Nest and take your chances against a squadron full of angry Stingers. Normally, though, it is best to destroy the slower Spy Pods and Green Widows that hover near the bottom of the screen before killing the Master Nest. A low-flying Stinger is your worst enemy.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the tips it provides:
LarcenTyler
-As tempting as it is, don't go for the Master Nest first, otherwise you'll be left at the mercy of the merciless stingers. Instead, go for the Spy Pods first to keep the Master Nest from spawning any further enemies. Take out any Green Widows that may be on screen at one time, and then go for the nest.

-Don't forget that when a Master Nest first appears, a white band will appear on it, making it immune to your shots. It will disappear once a Spy Pod is released.

-The Master Nests don't go after the fruits immediately. Instead, they wait about 10-15 seconds before doing so. Take advantage of this time to try to take out the other enemies before you gun them down. However, if one of them starts to steal your fruit, then kill it immediately. Be warned, though, that doing so will turn all remaining enemies onscreen into Stingers, but it's worth it.

-When dealing with Stingers, focus on dodging their shots and pop them when you get a second. Since Stingers can't steal your fruit, and they only appear when the Master Nest is destroyed, you can take your time with them and focus on staying alive.

-When you get hit by a spider (and it will happen, trust me,) don't fret. When your next blaster appears on screen, the spiders will move around but won't shoot at you right away. You will be able to shoot at them without retaliation for a few seconds, so take advantage of this as best as you can, especially when you're dealing with Stingers.
Kurt_Woloch
I found the best strategy to be shooting mindlessly to the top. :-)
No, seriously... in the waves before the banana wave, it's essential to dodge the enemies' shots. It's better to make that first priority than to hit the enemy (unless the master nest tries to steal a fruit).
Generally, the master nest swoops around the whole screen, while for the other enemies, the screen is divided in 4 horizontal bars. Once spawned, each of the other enemies stays in his bar. And only two of the enemies will actually shoot at you: the master nest and the highest flying other one. Therefore, out of the other enemies, you should take out the lower ones first, because they don't shoot at you anyway as long as the top one is there (so no danger of getting hit by them), and the bullets dropped by the top one are visible relatively long, so that it's possible to dodge them if necessary.
As for the master nest, I think it's best to wait until it tries to steal a fruit, because at that point it will stop bouncing around erratically and rather go in a straight path which is easy to anticipate, so it's much easier to take out the master nest at this point.
My strategy changes a bit with the banana level, because at that point both your and the enemies' bullets begin to travel twice as fast, which also means you get to shoot at twice the rate as before. This also means that it's much harder to dodge the enemies' bullets at that level, so it's best to stay out of their line of fire entirely. The non-guided missiles, I think, are better suited for this strategy... just give off a constant stream of bullets and wait until the enemies cross your line of fire. Most of them will be killed this way. And if they get killed at that point, you also have an easier time dodging their bullets.
There, however, is a problem if the master nest comes out with the white band which stays on for some seconds, while the master nest bounces around erratically. In this case, it's better to avoid the master nest and its line of fire as well as possible and wait for it to deploy other enemies. Then let them all run into your line of fire. However, if you can't take out the master nest that way (you will usually take out the other, slow going, enemies by that strategy before they turn into stingers), and it stays on screen last, avoid it until it goes to steal a fruit, as described earlier.
By the way, if the master nest spawns a stinger, that stinger is as slow-going as the other enemies. However, if you then take out the master nest, while other enemies will turn into fast-moving stingers, the "native" stinger will remain a stinger, and also will remain as slow as it was.

--Zero

Score to come later, but here are the tips from my guide on GameFAQs (with some revisions made):

-As tempting as it is, don't go for the Master Nest first, otherwise you'll be left at the mercy of the merciless stingers. Instead, go for the Spy Pods first to keep the Master Nest from spawning any further enemies. Take out any Green Widows that may be on screen at one time, and then go for the nest.

-Don't forget that when a Master Nest first appears, a white band will appear on it, making it immune to your shots. It will disappear once a Spy Pod is released.

-The Master Nests don't go after the fruits immediately. Instead, they wait about 10-15 seconds before doing so. Take advantage of this time to try to take out the other enemies before you gun them down. However, if one of them starts to steal your fruit, then kill it immediately. Be warned, though, that doing so will turn all remaining enemies onscreen into Stingers, but it's worth it.

-When dealing with Stingers, focus on dodging their shots and pop them when you get a second. Since Stingers can't steal your fruit, and they only appear when the Master Nest is destroyed, you can take your time with them and focus on staying alive.

-When you get hit by a spider (and it will happen, trust me,) don't fret. When your next blaster appears on screen, the spiders will move around but won't shoot at you right away. You will be able to shoot at them without retaliation for a few seconds, so take advantage of this as best as you can, especially when you're dealing with Stingers.

Edited by LarcenTyler

OK, here's my best so far... 57240.

post-8393-1216914323_thumb.png

I found the best strategy to be shooting mindlessly to the top. :-)

No, seriously... in the waves before the banana wave, it's essential to dodge the enemies' shots. It's better to make that first priority than to hit the enemy (unless the master nest tries to steal a fruit).

Generally, the master nest swoops around the whole screen, while for the other enemies, the screen is divided in 4 horizontal bars. Once spawned, each of the other enemies stays in his bar. And only two of the enemies will actually shoot at you: the master nest and the highest flying other one. Therefore, out of the other enemies, you should take out the lower ones first, because they don't shoot at you anyway as long as the top one is there (so no danger of getting hit by them), and the bullets dropped by the top one are visible relatively long, so that it's possible to dodge them if necessary.

As for the master nest, I think it's best to wait until it tries to steal a fruit, because at that point it will stop bouncing around erratically and rather go in a straight path which is easy to anticipate, so it's much easier to take out the master nest at this point.

My strategy changes a bit with the banana level, because at that point both your and the enemies' bullets begin to travel twice as fast, which also means you get to shoot at twice the rate as before. This also means that it's much harder to dodge the enemies' bullets at that level, so it's best to stay out of their line of fire entirely. The non-guided missiles, I think, are better suited for this strategy... just give off a constant stream of bullets and wait until the enemies cross your line of fire. Most of them will be killed this way. And if they get killed at that point, you also have an easier time dodging their bullets.

There, however, is a problem if the master nest comes out with the white band which stays on for some seconds, while the master nest bounces around erratically. In this case, it's better to avoid the master nest and its line of fire as well as possible and wait for it to deploy other enemies. Then let them all run into your line of fire. However, if you can't take out the master nest that way (you will usually take out the other, slow going, enemies by that strategy before they turn into stingers), and it stays on screen last, avoid it until it goes to steal a fruit, as described earlier.

By the way, if the master nest spawns a stinger, that stinger is as slow-going as the other enemies. However, if you then take out the master nest, while other enemies will turn into fast-moving stingers, the "native" stinger will remain a stinger, and also will remain as slow as it was.

I'll take a shot at it I have a base score a goal score that I set to break of 20,000 that I set back in the 90's when I was in battling with my cousin for high scores I haven't really played many of these games in a coon's age I just recently got a whole lot of 2600 carts....

Well I gave it a shot anod only managed 18,970 I'll try laer today after I have gotten some rest I I forgot how much stress the joystick puts on my wrist and being left handed has some what of a disadvantage and I realized I also need to clean several of my carts

Edited by LoneWolfSeth

19,300, plus I killed two spiders in the garage this morning for whatever that's worth. :)

Here's my participation point. I didn't have much time to play this week, and when I did it usually wasn't pretty. I've always liked the game... I'm just not very good at it.

post-17553-1217370704_thumb.png

I managed to get a little time in this evening. My wife and I just closed on our first house so it's been busy for us. On top of that, we just got our FiOs installed. Anyway, here's my score: 127,110. Sorry for the crappy photo.

post-9712-1217379573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher

I got some much needed playing time in last night.

post-10944-1217381130_thumb.jpg

Once you get the hang of it, then it becomes a test of endurance. I turned it off halfway through to rolling it. Just don't have several hours to devote to one game this week to roll it, but maybe sometime in the future when I'm taping it. ;)

Also, I estimate a little over 3 hours to roll the game. My scoring rate was a little bit higher than 50,000 points every 10 minutes.

Also, I estimate a little over 3 hours to roll the game. My scoring rate was a little bit higher than 50,000 points every 10 minutes.

Agreed, I got 225K in 40 minutes which comes out to about 3 hours. Not sure how I estimated 4 1/2 before :ponder: