IGNORED

The NES Max controller-UGH!....

The Max isn't "broken", the little cycloid for the D-pad is always loose. It was designed to slide with your thumb to press the direction you want to move in.

Yeah, I was going to say that. I got one at about the same time as I got a Power Glove, back in the early 90's. I liked the turbos, but never got used to the thumb slider thing. It seemed that I had to press harder than on a regular d-pad.

The Power Glove was crap as we all know... but I did find that if you shot the finger at the tv, Mario would walk really slow like he was tip toeing...

NES Advantage was pure awesomeness.

The Max isn't "broken", the little cycloid for the D-pad is always loose. It was designed to slide with your thumb to press the direction you want to move in.

Yeah, I was going to say that. I got one at about the same time as I got a Power Glove, back in the early 90's. I liked the turbos, but never got used to the thumb slider thing. It seemed that I had to press harder than on a regular d-pad.

The Power Glove was crap as we all know... but I did find that if you shot the finger at the tv, Mario would walk really slow like he was tip toeing...

NES Advantage was pure awesomeness.

Yeah, the Advantage was a kickass stick. Thank you, ASCII for making the original for the FC. (They also did the "Super Advantage" for the SNES).

Well, that's a tease. Simple for anyone to repair, or just people who are good at repairing stuff? I have two broken ones and have taken them apart and checked the contacts, cleaned them, and given problem areas a squirt of deoxit and they still don't work. So what are your repair secrets? I would love to get mine to work.

Send me a picture of the insides, of both.

Repairing button sensors is the easiest fix,

just get a nice bottle of rubber cement and apply it to the busted part and let dry and its fixed.

Repairing the scroll stick is alot sort of a simple fix,

sometimes it can be that the alignment is a bit off.

• 4 weeks later...

The NES Max seems weird and unwieldy until you realize how it works. You don't use the slider as an analog-stick-like interface; you use the slider to move your thumb across the D-Pad in a far more smooth manner than a regular D-Pad, and press down on it just like a regular D-Pad. Also, even pressing the D-Pad is made easier due to the slider feeling like an arcade button when you press it. These two things make the NES Max great for both smooth scrolling in hockey games or, surprisingly, shooters, and also great for precise D-Pad taps in Mega Man, due to the D-Pad having the tactile feel of a button. Unfortunately, neither of these things are immediately apparent, which probably caused a lot of people to pass up the NES Max (or think that the disk-based D-Pad is a broken joystick, like the starter of this topic). I personally think this is the best NES controller ever, and has the best D-Pad ever. I hope someone brings back the "cycloid" D-Pad; I miss it's easy-to-use greatness.

Also, @ everyone who keeps saying that the NES Advantage is the ultimate controller: Try holding B all the time to run in Super Mario Bros with the Advantage. Not a pleasant experience. (The Advantage is still awesome, though.)

... I just realized that I wrote a very long paragraph on the NES Max. I guess I really don't have a life.

Edited by StinkDude1