IGNORED

Horizontal stand?

godslabrat

Hi all.

I'm going to take the plunge on a 360 (decided to do it the first week of Sept.) I'm trying to do the best I can to minimize RRoD issues, accepting that it may be a necessary evil with this particular system. Once suggestion was to keep it horizontal and prop it up. Are there any commercial stands for this? I've only found a few.. most hold the system vertically, which I don't like at all. Even if it didn't help the RRoD issues, I just think it's tacky. The only horizontal one I found holds the system up a good six inches, and that's too high... I was thinking of only like an inch or two.

Failing this, I'll just make a stand, but if there's a decent ready-made one, I'm all about that.

I dont recall ever seeing a stand like what you are talking about.

The bottom side of the 360 is solid except for a few lines of vent holes on the right and left side of the unit.

If you want to raise it an inch or two, just set it on a book.

I dont recall ever seeing a stand like what you are talking about.

The bottom side of the 360 is solid except for a few lines of vent holes on the right and left side of the unit.

If you want to raise it an inch or two, just set it on a book.

Thanks, moycon. I guess that's what I'll do, at least at first.

"If you want to raise it an inch or two, just set it on a book."

I have my Xbox 360 sitting horizontally on a flipped over wire mesh letter tray I bought at OfficeMax for $5. It allows the two vents on the underside to be completely open and maximize airflow through my unit.

I have my Xbox 360 sitting horizontally on a flipped over wire mesh letter tray I bought at OfficeMax for $5. It allows the two vents on the underside to be completely open and maximize airflow through my unit.

To clarify make sure the book is narrow enough so it doesn't block the vent holes. As long as you set it on a book that is about 9 inches wide or less, you will not block any holes. I have mine sitting on the HD DVD drive.

To clarify make sure the book is narrow enough so it doesn't block the vent holes. As long as you set it on a book that is about 9 inches wide or less, you will not block any holes. I have mine sitting on the HD DVD drive.

I knew what you meant, but thanks. :) I'm sure I can find something like the aforementioned letter tray that could be adapted for the use, but in the meantime, a book will do nicely.

"I have mine sitting on the HD DVD drive."

I guess that's one way to use it.....

It's actually perfect. That thing is built pretty solid. I'd rather not use my videogame console as a DVD player so for $39.99 you cant go wrong, especially since many HD DVD can be had cheap these days. (I mainly use it for standard DVDs tho, go figure) Since the demise of HD DVD these things can be picked up for about the price of a book and the movies can be found for peanuts. I bought 2 HD movies last week (Dead Silence and Evan Almighty) for less than $8 apiece. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

If you're that worried about heat, I'd suggest just getting four white erasers and sticking them under the four corners. A couple of centimetres should be more than enough.

Sitting it on a book isn't going to help at all. In fact, it might even make things worse: There are four small rubber feet on the side of the 360 that keep it from being flush against whatever it's sitting on. If you have a book under it, directly in contact with the plastic, you might generate a hot spot there, with no chance of any air flow at all.

--Zero

If you have a book under it, directly in contact with the plastic, you might generate a hot spot there, with no chance of any air flow at all.

--Zero

I'm confused. How it it physically possible to cut off the air flow if you don't cover up the air holes that expell the hot air?

I can understand the "hot spot" but not the air flow cut off.

If you have a book under it, directly in contact with the plastic, you might generate a hot spot there, with no chance of any air flow at all.

--Zero

I'm confused. How it it physically possible to cut off the air flow if you don't cover up the air holes that expell the hot air?

I second that.

--Zero

I second that.

I can understand where he's comeing from, there would be no airflow under the book itself, generateing a hot spot in that place (roughly the center of the system, where all the overheating problems take place to begin with)

Like the wire basket Idea, but mine's already been siiting verticaly for close to a year and it would probably ruin the drive to reorient it by now.