IGNORED

Unknown Computers

Not sure this is the right forum for this topic, so Mod.s I'm sorry if it's wrong.

Has any one here in collecting old hardware ever gotten a hold of some thing unknown to even the company who made it?

I have an IBM "Laptop" that must be one of the first of it's kind. The machine doesn't even pop up on the company's web site in their history and it runs on "1-2-3 Lotus" for it's OS ..at least that's what I'm told since the machine doesn't understand DOS commands.

Laptop or luggable? How much does it weigh. The mid-80's machines usually weighed around 50lbs. and had tiny built-in screens. I have an old Panasonic Sr. Partner luggable. Can you post a pic of it?

I've never heard the term luggable before but it feels fitting to the machine. A computer very close in look of model is said to weigh 40lbs, this computer does hurt you if you put it in it's carrying bag to tote around. Don't think it was made in the mid-80's. When booting at one point you see a copyright mentioning 1980 and on the start screen it has 1982 written with further information of what you'd expect on an old monitor. ( At least that's how I view it being used to Cocos ).

<edit>

Didn't notice the question.

My camera needs new batteries, it can't do any thing right now.

Edited by systemcat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1

That's a luggable, or "suitcase computer", as they were popularly known.

Look for any stickers or ingravings on the case. That might give you a clue. (Old computers are something of a specialty of mine. As we speak I'm internally modding a 1541 Commodore disk drive to be device #9 so I can couple it with a stock factory 1541).

Forgot to mention that Lotus is a spreadsheet application, not an OS...there's DOS lurking somewhere under there.

1982 would make it pretty early in the luggable period there wasn't an actual 'notebook' computer until the late 80's. I had a Kaypro II that was from '82...I also had an Osborne 1 at one point, which I believe came out in '80 or '81. Both were heavy suitcases with green screens running CP/M. Fun!

The one you have isn't a 5155, is it?

Yep, I've got a couple of Cinemaster DVD player cards and two internal DSL modems from GVC. There's very little info on the net about either card. The modems turned out awesome when I had one computer hooked to the net. The Cinemasters have noticeable frame drops, but they are OK. I use the one in this computer. Although another computer has one, I use a software player on that because it drops way less frames.

Well i don't have anything not know by the manufacturer but i did own a few rare home computers. Until recently i owned a laser 2001 a rare computer and 2 comx 35 computers also rare, i've sold them to make room for my console collection.

I still have a Philips :yes, one of the few computers that used a 80186 microprocessor. Before i got this machine i never heard of the 80186. I always thought that Intel went from 8086 to 80286. The 80186 is still in use in some home electronics like microwaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1

That's a luggable, or "suitcase computer", as they were popularly known.

Look for any stickers or ingravings on the case. That might give you a clue. (Old computers are something of a specialty of mine. As we speak I'm internally modding a 1541 Commodore disk drive to be device #9 so I can couple it with a stock factory 1541).

When you say case do you mean what's encasing the computer or it's carrier? Ever get a hold of a Gridcase 1520? I swear you could drop that computer from a two story building and it wouldn't effect the machine in the least ( don't worry I never tried doing it when I owned one ). For that "Tank-built" computer a few years ago and maybe even now you could still find compatible software for it on the net.

Guys, I'm going to look up a computer very close to this IBM later and show what it basically looks like.

The one you have isn't a 5155, is it?

Sooooo...like I asked, is the one you have an IBM 5155?

Sorry that I didn't notice the question. Dude I fear moving this computer around to look but I will in a second ...

It says "IBM Portable Personal Computer" and nothing more.

Sorry that I didn't notice the question. Dude I fear moving this computer around to look but I will in a second ...

Because it might fall on you? :D

They *are* heavy...

Funny :roll: . It is up high and the last time it was moved around a lot ..The thing kept banging into my ribs and the following day they felt broken. :(