IGNORED

Just bought my first 8-bit systems

aftermac

I just happened to be out yesterday and by chance decided to stop by the local flea market. I certainly wasn't prepared for what I found, since I only had $20. Fortunately, I was with my wife and brother-in-law who had $20 each. After walking around for a while I found guy that had quite a few classic systems. ColecoVision, Intelivision, 2600, 7800, NES, and an XEGS and 800 XE! He also had a bunch of games for the systems. I never realized how small the 8-Bit carts were. I was expecting them to be closer to 2600 size.

Initially, he wanted $40 for the XEGS alone, but I managed to get everything in the picture for $50!

The 800 XE is missing the "8" key as well as the plastic insert that keeps the key from being pressed. Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement?

post-17553-1217250902_thumb.jpg

Be aware that there are 5 or 6 different keyboard types for the XL. The one in the picture is the orange PCB based one with shorter key travel. This is one of my favorite types, btw.

Edited by Bryan

Thanks, for the comments guys!

That's an excellent deal, especially if the XF-551 is working.

:)

I hope it works too! :) Unfortunately, as I just realized, there is no power supply. DOH! I'm used to bus powered Apple ][ drives. I should be seeing the guy again very soon, so I'll ask him about it then. I don't have any A8 software on floppy (only A2 :) ), but I do have some blank floppies that I could format, once I get a brick. Anyone happen to know the voltage off the top of their head? I'm sure I can look it up later if not.

That's a kickarse package for 50 bucks!

What's that third cart? Looks like it says "Adventure Menu".

Adventure Creator: http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...areLabelID=2621

Haven't had a chance to really investigate it yet, so I'm not really sure what to do with it.

B&C Computervisions has keyboards for $25. May not be worth it if the XEGS works good.

So far, the XEGS seems to be working fine, but I haven't tested the keyboard yet. The "Select" and "Option" buttons didn't work at first, so pressed them rapidly a few dozen times and they started responding. I'm guessing the contacts need a bit of cleaning.

I've got an old parts keyboard here that I could pull an "8" key off. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks! I will do that!

That's a pretty solid score for $50. Spend some time playing those classics on the A8s, and you won't want to go back to the "other" classic Atari consoles! Ha ha ha! Seriously, they are THAT fun from my experience. The only beef I run into is grabbing carts that also use keyboard functions (like Star Raiders), and not having instructions for them... otherwise, A8s are a blast.

Adventure Creator is a really neat program that lets you make your own Temple of Asphai style games. This year my 8 year old son used Adventure Creator for his school's project fair and his game was abig hit with the other kids!

Here is the post about his project fair : http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...hl=project+fair

Adventure Creator: http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...areLabelID=2621

Haven't had a chance to really investigate it yet, so I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Edited by Fletch