IGNORED

Problem with player1color and pfscroll - need help

Impaler_26

I wanna make a game with an up-scrolling playfield and made a few tests. With a normal sprite my test-file works fine but when i use the "player1color" option i get a display-glitch in the lower area of the playfield. It disappears when you move the sprite to the bottom.

So my question is can i use "player1color" and "pfscroll up" together or is it too much to handle for bB?

Maybe i just made a stupid mistake i overlooked?

I hope someone here can help me with this!

chim.bas

chim.bas.bin

Edited by Impaler_26

Sorry it took so long. I had to go to the dentist and get some sleep, but here is my version with the glitch removed:

chim_2008y_07m_30d_1817t.bin

chim_2008y_07m_30d_1817t.bas

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated!! :cool:

Your version also answered a few other questions for me so now i can finally start making this game!

Yep, no more fooling around - time to make some games (or at least try and fail :D)!

I played around a bit more with RT's example and while it's a big help it unfortunately didn't really fix the display-glitch in the last line.

I didn't notice the glitch during scrolling but sometimes when the sprite hits the wall and the scrolling stops it shows up like in the screenshot below.

I slowed down my test-files with another drawscreen so you can see the glitch better.

Again this only happens when i use player1colors, it doesn't happen in the file with a single-color sprite.

Meanwhile i saw in other games like Primate Plunge that you can use player1colors and pfscroll together without any problems.

So now i wonder if this is a bug in bB or if something is wrong with my environment? I'm using the latest fixes posted by SeaGtGruff here.

I also think i'm calling drawscreen at the wrong time....

Has anyone any idea what's going on here? I'm confused.... :???:

post-12950-1217535977_thumb.png

slow_colors.bas

slow_colors.bas.bin

slow.bas

slow.bas.bin

Edited by Impaler_26

If you add an extra drawscreen, that will totally screw it up.

To slow down the whole thing for testing, it's better to use something like this:

slowdown
drawscreen
m=m+1: if m<10 then goto slowdown
m=0

Here it is with the extra drawscreen removed and the code above added, and the line that removes the glitch in the main part of the game also added under hitwall:

chim_slow_colors_2008y_07m_31d_1723t.bas.bin

chim_slow_colors_2008y_07m_31d_1723t.bas

• Like 1

If you add an extra drawscreen, that will totally screw it up.

To slow down the whole thing for testing, it's better to use something like this:

slowdown
drawscreen
m=m+1: if m<10 then goto slowdown
m=0

Here it is with the extra drawscreen removed and the code above added, and the line that removes the glitch in the main part of the game also added under hitwall:

chim_slow_colors_2008y_07m_31d_1723t.bas.bin

chim_slow_colors_2008y_07m_31d_1723t.bas

Oh boy, am i stupid! :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

But i think i got it now... So this glitch always happens if you don't clear the hidden line before drawscreen...

Another thing i noticed is that your example uses too many cycles but i guess i can find a solution for this.

So after all i learned something today, thanx again! :)

Another thing i noticed is that your example uses too many cycles but i guess i can find a solution for this.

Are you just talking the quick and dirty code that slows down the whole game for testing or the other stuff when that slow down code is removed?

Are you just talking the quick and dirty code that slows down the whole game for testing or the other stuff when that slow down code is removed?

It's not the slow down code, it's the other stuff you added in your first example. Just thought i'll let you know so you can check if it's the same with your game.

Here's a version of your example from post#4 with debug cyclescore.... Seems like something's not right here..?

chim_2008y_cyclescore.bas.bin

It's not the slow down code, it's the other stuff you added in your first example. Just thought i'll let you know so you can check if it's the same with your game.

Here's a version of your example from post#4 with debug cyclescore.... Seems like something's not right here..?

Thanks. When I did your version, I switched to pfhline instead of using playfield variables. I did that so it would use less code and would be less confusing. I'll switch it over to playfield variables tonight and see if that makes a big enough difference in the number of cycles.

I was trying to find ways to crunch this down, but since it has already taken too long, I'll just post the bloated version:

chim_2008y_08m_02d_0456t.bin

chim_2008y_08m_02d_0456t.bas

This is similar to what I am using in another program that I'm working on where I make a solid line, make the hole on the left side, then slide the hole over into position. I think this wastes fewer cycles.

OK, I finally figured out that I could change a number and that would allow the program to skip more code until it's needed, so this should waste even fewer cycles:

chim_2008y_08m_02d_1852t.bin

chim_2008y_08m_02d_1852t.bas

:dunce:

That's much better, thanks! :thumbsup:

I'll spend the next few weeks with "learning by doing" and see if i can come up with something...

Nice game so far. I had the idea that it should be Alice in Wonderland falling.. like this:

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepi...bbit-hole-1.jpg

Maybe some sprites of chairs and lamps and whatever could fly around also that you have to avoid.

Actually this is supposed to become a port of a neat little C64 basic-game called Down The Chimney.

I'm planning to add a few more things to it like a falling brick (ball sprite) and maybe a cloud of soot (player0) you have to avoid. Also it should start with slow scrolling and become faster each level and the gaps should become narrower each level.

But i like your idea about Alice in Wonderland, this would also be a nice theme for the game...

Hmm... maybe i'll have to make 2 games then...

But remember that i'm still a bloody beginner with bB so don't expect anything playable before X-Mas.... 2009. :lol:

• 10 years later...

Rise from the grave!

After 10 years i forgot most of what i knew about bB so that's a perfect opportunity to try my hands at Down the Chimney once more. :grin:

I'm looking forward to learn bB again and implement some improvements and new elements i have on my mind. Maybe i can make it a fun to play game this time? Find out one day in 2019 only here at AtariAge. I'll post a new thread in the bB forums once i have a playable demo.

For starters here's the last version from 2009 as featured on ZeroPage Homebrew:

post-12950-0-59868100-1545339719.jpg post-12950-0-48106900-1545339733.jpg

Down The Chimney Test (2009) (Christian Giegerich, Duane Alan Hahn) (WIP).bin

• Like 6

• 1 year later...