IGNORED

Two little new C64 Games on Cart and Disk released.

Simon

Hello,

after years of developing games and demos for the VCS, I just finished work on two little games for the C64.

SHOTGATE is a 4 kilobytes game for one player.

KONFL1KT is a 1 kilobyte game for two players.

Beneath releasing them as an original disk for classic gaming fans, I decided to check out the C64 cartridge technology and made 20 cartridges.

c64c.jpg

Both games will take place in this years MiniGameCompo here:

http://www.minigamecomp.org.uk

You can read more, watch pictures and order here:

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/sk.html

Best regards,

Simon

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your feedback.

It's remeniscant of early games that were ported from 2600 to C-64; is this a port? The next step is to create a game that really takes advantage of the extra memory and graphics capability.

I limited the game to 4 kb of total size, because I want to compete in this year's 4k-MiniGameComp.

On the other hand SHOTGATE was my first C64 programming after about 7 years programming on the VCS. So I really needed to get started again.

Afterwards I started programming other minigames with enhanced graphics (own charsets, multicolor, soft scrolling, etc.). You can read about them here: http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/r8.html

How were the cartridges made? Did you find vintage cartridges with EEPROMS?

Only new material is used (PCB, EPROM, cartridge shell, box, etc.).

No old games were harmed or destroyed for the production of this game. :)

Later,

Simon

Simon, I sent you an e-mail regarding the cost to ship to the US. Rereading your page, and this thread, I think I now understand that it's the limited edition run of 20 carts that is 45 euros. I'm just curious, what is the price for non-limited edition carts, and the disks? Thank you - and sorry if I've somehow overlooked this info somewhere if it was available.

--Timster--

How were the cartridges made? Did you find vintage cartridges with EEPROMS?

Like the 2600 there are modern circuit boards and 8k/16k chips available to burn and solder to make new carts without having to destroy old ones.

Are there also modern C-64 cartridge shells? Is there a stock shell that just happens to fit? Or are these custom resin shells from a garage shop?

Are there also modern C-64 cartridge shells? Is there a stock shell that just happens to fit? Or are these custom resin shells from a garage shop?

I believe Jens Schoenfeld of Individual Computers was manufacturing new ones. Even in various colors IIRC. Don't know if he still is or not.

Garak

Simon, I sent you an e-mail regarding the cost to ship to the US. Rereading your page, and this thread, I think I now understand that it's the limited edition run of 20 carts that is 45 euros. I'm just curious, what is the price for non-limited edition carts, and the disks? Thank you - and sorry if I've somehow overlooked this info somewhere if it was available.

I just checked my website again and it separates the two categories:

LIMITED - 20 Cartridges at 45,00 Euro

UNLIMITED - Disks at 10,00 Euro.

No more cartridges are manufactured, so there is no unlimited cartridge run afterwards...

Thanks,

Simon

I believe Jens Schoenfeld of Individual Computers was manufacturing new ones. Even in various colors IIRC. Don't know if he still is or not.

Yes, he still does. http://www.icomp.de/

And I used them for my limited cartridge run, too.

Even if I didn't know that at the beginning, because I got them from a retailer of Jens' items.

Later,

Simon