IGNORED

So I own a 360......

Artlover

Your last post makes me think that you are more upset with the publishers and not the Xbox360 (as Pmpddytim said). You admitted that the hardware can do what you want. So is it the 360, or the software publishers you are disappointed with?

Somehow we've gotten focused just on the games aspect. Which is only half of it. I already touched on Xbox360/Microsoft specific issues.

To make a Jaguar analogy out of it: It doesn't matter what it's capable of when the people who own/built the thing and all the developers are yahoo's.

Hardware design issues, media compatabilty, insane price scheme for Xbox Arcade, texture pop-in, and other things I didn't mention before (like the fact the controllers suck through batteries like crazy or lag/fps issues when things get really busy). I have plenty of reasons to dislike the unit & Microsoft without factoring game quality into it.

I wouldn't want every game to look photo realistic.

If videogames are considered an artform, and the look of the game is imagined and made possible by talented people/artists creating something out of nothing in an attempt to impress the masses, then it would get awfully redundant and boring if every game looked like the world around you.

You're taking it out of context. I can accept cartoony and CG when it's approporate to the nature of the game. Katamari, Kung Fu Panda, etc. No complants, atleast with regards to visual styling. Be it modern generation or old. Crazy Taxi, Cell Damage. They are what they are. Hell, ask me about my idea for a minimalist quake paintball map I came up with. ;)

But I find it to be a huge problem when it's in conflict with the fundamental of the game's intent. Even more so when it's inconsistant.

What is COD4 supposed to be? An artistic fantasy shooter, or a realistic fps war simulation?

What is Forza2 supposed to be? Arcade racer or driving sim?

To make COD4 an example again. Some parts are very well done, then some places aren't, and I don't get it. Why can the plants in one field look great, then in another they become rubber stamp repeating low texture unnatural looking garbage that stands out like a sore thumb? Sorry, but that crap ruins a game for me. Why, because it sucks to be playing, getting sucked into it and becoming part of it, then getting smacked in the face with something so obvious that they should have just blanked the screen with text saying "this is just a game and it's all fake". Yup, one second killing russians and blowing up tanks, next second in a field of neon cartoon plants. :roll: It's even more of a spoiler when most of the rest of it IS near photo realistic. If you can make a realistic grenade shockwave, vehiculars, explosions, enemies, buildings and so on, then you should beable to make a semi realistic looking bush. :x

It's just a repeating theme I've noticed in many of the games I've played so far.. "looks good, look good, looks good, so obviously fake you can only assume it was a mistake or production oversight". It's like, imagine if the entire movie StarWars was exactly like it is, except for the big final battle scene which was replaced with a bunch of guys moving ship models around on sticks, with the sticks and their hands in the picture making sound effects with their mouths like a bunch of 6 year olds making their first movie with their dad's camera in the garage. :ponder:

Gotcha.

Well yeah the most obvious solution then would be to get a Wii.

Every game made for that system is perfect in terms of graphics and control.

The old Nintendo games you can get through the Nintendo store are like 5 cents apiece.

I believe you can stream every and any file type you want from anywhere in the world without having to install anything on the Wii and...

You can lose weight with it!!!

Get a Wii = Issue solved.

Edited by moycon

To make COD4 an example again. Some parts are very well done, then some places aren't, and I don't get it. Why can the plants in one field look great, then in another they become rubber stamp repeating low texture unnatural looking garbage that stands out like a sore thumb? Sorry, but that crap ruins a game for me. Why, because it sucks to be playing, getting sucked into it and becoming part of it, then getting smacked in the face with something so obvious that they should have just blanked the screen with text saying "this is just a game and it's all fake". Yup, one second killing russians and blowing up tanks, next second in a field of neon cartoon plants. :roll: It's even more of a spoiler when most of the rest of it IS near photo realistic. If you can make a realistic grenade shockwave, vehiculars, explosions, enemies, buildings and so on, then you should beable to make a semi realistic looking bush. :x

I think it's because different people work on different sections of the game. Same for movies. Besides having time constraints and more money for certain effects and very little for the things that aren't as important to the filmmaker, some 'artists' just suck ass. They have no discernment and can't tell Mickey Mouse from a real mouse. They'll brag in an interview about how realistic some effect looks and you involuntarily scream at the TV "no it's not you brainless turd nugget!"

As long as they keep hiring dipshits with no discernment to work on parts of games and movies, we'll keep getting inconsistent results. Jaw dropping photo-realistic worlds with embarrassing bits that will yank you out of the game faster than a pissed off wife who wants you to take out the garbage.

Hey Art, long time no see. Wondering where you've been.

I think first and foremost your biggest mistake is using COD4 as a benchmark. Why everyone is apeshit over it is beyond me. I think it is hands down one of the most awful looking games on the system. Whenever I see my kid playing it, the word "bland" instantly pops in my head, and not only because of the graphics. Benchmark game I would think is Gears of war. Well done game in every aspect.

I agree with the media compatability. I think the PS3 kinda does a better job, although the 360 finds everything even if it can't play it, the PS3 is a little more particular in how it finds stuff but less particular on what it will play, assuming of course, the latest Sony firmware update doesn't cause too many problems :lol:

Controller lag is there but I only notice it online only and with Halo and only when sniping. Got the recharge packs and they last forever. Never used regular batteries.

By far I think the 360 has got it all just about right. PS3 could kick ass but it's really just a huge mess in just about every aspect. The wii.....I won't even say.

Gears of War sucks compared to COD4.

The multiplayer aspect is 10x better than GOW.

You could be right on the MP, it's been a while since I played Gears MP. Gears still craps on most 360 games for graphics, and nobody will ever convince me that COD has great graphics. They are so washed, bland, and vanilla. I think the story of Gears is more interesting and overall, as a complete package, Gears is polished.

I could be biased though as I prefer sci-fi over more realsitic military style shooters. Yay and M-16....again. Boring. I still play Halo 3 online almost daily. With all it's faults, it's still got vehicles and not-so-run of the mill maps and weapons. And it doesn't take itself too seriously. And fileshare.

Edited by Starscream

Well yeah the most obvious solution then would be to get a Wii.

Every game made for that system is perfect in terms of graphics and control.

The old Nintendo games you can get through the Nintendo store are like 5 cents apiece.

I believe you can stream every and any file type you want from anywhere in the world without having to install anything on the Wii and...

You can lose weight with it!!!

Get a Wii = Issue solved.

Ptthhhhhh! Again, I consistantly had fun playing my friends. Where as on the 360, my fun level has been inconsistant at best.

Ultimatly, isn't that what gaming is about; FUN?

Part of my problem was buying the 360 without using it first going by my Xbox1 experience, beliving all the hype and thinking this was going to be the best thing in the universe. Where as when I reluctantly played the Wii, I did so expecting to hate every fiber of it's existance.

I think it's because different people work on different sections of the game. Same for movies. Besides having time constraints and more money for certain effects and very little for the things that aren't as important to the filmmaker, some 'artists' just suck ass. They have no discernment and can't tell Mickey Mouse from a real mouse. They'll brag in an interview about how realistic some effect looks and you involuntarily scream at the TV "no it's not you brainless turd nugget!"

As long as they keep hiring dipshits with no discernment to work on parts of games and movies, we'll keep getting inconsistent results. Jaw dropping photo-realistic worlds with embarrassing bits that will yank you out of the game faster than a pissed off wife who wants you to take out the garbage.

You know, you're probably 100% correct on this.

I think first and foremost your biggest mistake is using COD4 as a benchmark. Why everyone is apeshit over it is beyond me. I think it is hands down one of the most awful looking games on the system. Whenever I see my kid playing it, the word "bland" instantly pops in my head, and not only because of the graphics.

I use COD4 as an example mostly because it illistrates my gripe the best.

I don't aggree with Gears of War tho. Wasn't impressed by that either, tho it was graphicly consistant and alright as games go. Personally, Battlefield Bad Company is my opinion of being top notch in nearly every way. Hell, every tree in the forest is an individual element that can be destroyed. Very impressive.

#3: Xbox Live. Bah. Still don't give a rats ass about online multiplayer gaming....I'll just turn on the Xbox 1 and play mame.

You forget about one thing though.. and that's challenging other gamers in score! :) So if you feel like getting Galaga or Robotron, or heck even Geometry Wars 2 and challenging your online buds on a high score list, Xbox Live is currently the best for that.

You simply can't do that as effectively or as nicely on the Xbox 1 with Mame. And yes I am a big fan of Xbox 1 emus... but it is a solitary experience more or less.

xboxemus.jpg

As far as media streaming, yes the Xbox 1 does it better. But the 360 does Hi-Def stuff (hdwmv's etc.) that the xbox 1 can't handle well. So, just use it when appropriate. 99% of the media I play is through the xbox. But when I need to play hidef content, its' the 360. What's the problem? :P

As far as media streaming, yes the Xbox 1 does it better. But the 360 does Hi-Def stuff (hdwmv's etc.) that the xbox 1 can't handle well. So, just use it when appropriate. 99% of the media I play is through the xbox. But when I need to play hidef content, its' the 360. What's the problem? :P

I don't give a rat ass about HD either. :P ;)

Personally, Battlefield Bad Company is my opinion of being top notch in nearly every way. Hell, every tree in the forest is an individual element that can be destroyed. Very impressive.

Sounds like my kind of game and gives us what we were missing in games like GTA and Mercenaries on the old Xbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyP7QqDFqG0

I don't give a rat ass about HD either. :P ;)

Doesn't matter if you do or don't. Just stating the fact that the Xbox 1 doesn't handle it well (it stutters and freezes) and the 360 can.

And for the record, I primarily use the xbox for streaming since I really don't give a rats ass about HD either and have stated it numerous times throughout these forums ;)

Now who's up for a high score challenge in Robotron? :D

Edited by NE146

I came to a point now on no matter what............. he hates the 360. I'm not a god loving hater I have just about every system made. and a decent library for each. I have work on games. And still mess around with some 3d animation. I have a KILLER quad core 2 PC. So I'm no noob to games. Now If somebody tells me COD 4 is crap on GFX, your crazy! I'm not saying it the best ever, but its up there esp for a console game for sure. It runs really smooth....great textures and details for the size of the maps not counting all the explosions and gunfire, debris, lighting, dust particles, bugs flying around. Oh yeah not too mention all the ppl running around on the multi player games to. They did an EXCELLENT job on it hands down. And RANDOM TERRAIN hit a point before I could kinda... Its not like the programmers and artist are going to spend 100hrs getting a tree branch or pop can to look PHOTO perfect when most ppl during game play are going to run past it 98% of the time or it just there for ambiance esp on multi player. Movie makers do the same thing all the time, fill in actors in backgrounds have less of the cool costumes or make up. like in zombie movies, mad maxish movies or just almost any move with a fairly large battle sequence, spaceship cockpits that have a whole bunch of random wires lights bullshit screens in the background running some totally worthless wire frame grid pattern or bar graphs. Or a coffee pot machine with some silver sphere and lights on it in the background....it just filler.

I also believe that q HD TV makes a HUGH difference in the newer games, so much more detail is seen. I'm not talking about some 19" TV. At least a 27" but more towards a 32"-48" is beautiful. Yeah there are some grips about every system out there. But you really picked a bad one to rant about. It has great games and runs them like it should for a games system released in 2005. If you have a problem with the price of games dont buy it! I think that $5 is not that bad for most arcade games with original & new GFX & SFX and adding multiplayer option & Achievments to them on a new system is a bad price to pay. I know most of us here would pay maytimes more than that to get lets say a atari 2600 version of missle command with flashy GFX and head to head play with a friend or a save score feature. Or a Jaguar realease of Yars revenge in higher resolution and 3D.

As I said before I like many systems and games but you are crying about some really petty stuff, I guess you must have forgot all the shortcommings of all the old systems and games before. SO I AGREE! Get yourself a Wii. Enjoy the Superior games on it, If that dont do it PS3 Has a scarey huge library of great games too that all look 10X better than anything 360 has to offer.

I guess you must have forgot all the shortcommings of all the old systems and games before. SO I AGREE! Get yourself a Wii. Enjoy the Superior games on it

Or just be like most of us older video game fans and simply get a Wii, PS3, and 360 and thus render all rants moot :P

I guess you must have forgot all the shortcommings of all the old systems and games before. SO I AGREE! Get yourself a Wii. Enjoy the Superior games on it

Or just be like most of us older video game fans and simply get a Wii, PS3, and 360 and thus render all rants moot :P

LOL, exactly :)

Or start two new rants about everything I hate on the Wii & PS3. :cool:

I'll eventualy have all three. I always end up having nearly every console, even if it takes a few decades to do it. :)

I think this is the first thread I've read that someone actually thinks Wii>360??

But yeah, get yourself a Wii, and then you can be like the rest of us, giving them away and/or just having them sit and collect dust while we go back to playing our 360's.

Uhh.. I play my Wii a lot thank you very much :P

Currently I've been breaking out the Geometry Wars for it again after playing so much of it on the 360. That and Williams Pinball Classics & Zelda (yes, again.). :lol:

If you play the Wii as often as you play the 360 based on your logging into Live, that must be all you do is play videogames and nothing else. :P

EDIT: BWAHAHA Not more than 2 minutes after I posted that you signed into Live.

Edited by moycon

If you play the Wii as often as you play the 360 based on your logging into Live, that must be all you do is play videogames and nothing else. :P

lol lol lol

lol lol lol

Actually I think my playtime this past week is primariy the PSP at the moment since I'm playing Ys and Phantasy Star (SMS versions) on it. Seriously. :P At least until I finish Ys.. which won't be long now.

And yes of course I play the 360 a lot. I play a lot of videogames! I post here don't I? :D I'm a near 40 year old guy who's played more videogames than you can possible imagine since the 70's. What can I say? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

although not a MS Fanboy and very sceptical before I talked myself into a Xbox360 I have to say it is a real good game system. I do like the Xbox live offerings and I guess hardwarewise it is good enough for a couple more years to come.

I do agree on your criticism about looks of Xbox360. From the beginning I thought there is a very sterile look to gfx (some might call it cartoonish) but nevertheless games play well and once I got used to the gfx, I think it's beautiful enough.

Now I'm hoping to get a nice plasma this x-mas season and I'm sure it will just look beautifully.