IGNORED

Strange looking Genesis 1

Wickeycolumbus

Early Genesis 1 models have this. I've seen many with, and just as many without, over the years.

I couldn't say what it was meant for, exactly, but it's not really uncommon for a system to have a port or connector that the designers thought might be useful, which then never gets used and sometimes gets taken out.

5200s have such a port. So do early-model 7800s. The toaster NES has some kind of connector on the bottom that I've never seen used for anything, and the first-model SNES has one on the back; both disappeared in the redesigns. The list goes on.

I remember reading how Sega was experimenting with Seganet in the earlier days before Dreamcast, and how there was to be a modem released but never was.

My Gen 1 has this port, also have an aftermarket controller with it, also. Naki, and the buttons are also marked with things like Play, Rewind and other audio/video controls. Odd.

I just read that thread linked to, and sounds feasible. Either for a modem or system linking, which both would be really neat to do.

Something else that would be neat is if AtGames would implement this in their new consoles. GenOnline, has a nice ring to it.

I still hope that one of these days I can design/build something to take advantage of an old idea like the Sega modem that never happened. I still have a Lot of learning to do. <sigh>

Nathan

/edit If anyone has the pinout for this port, I'd be happy to try out a few experiments to see if I can get it to do something.

Edited by nathanallan

I found it with a bit more thorough googling/digging: EXT port and Program

Now I want to use a crossover cable to make two consoles talk to each other. According to what I have read, you don't need that model Genesis to make it work, you can use the port2 on a model 2 as well. Not 100% on this, though. I'll see if I can make it work with what I have on a Model2, if so I will document and post it here.

Wickey, no need to open her up, it's been found (but thanks anyway!)

Nathan

I found it with a bit more thorough googling/digging: EXT port and Program

Now I want to use a crossover cable to make two consoles talk to each other. According to what I have read, you don't need that model Genesis to make it work, you can use the port2 on a model 2 as well. Not 100% on this, though. I'll see if I can make it work with what I have on a Model2, if so I will document and post it here.

Wickey, no need to open her up, it's been found (but thanks anyway!)

Nathan

Cool, Hope you can get them talking.

Just got off of work, and had to check back in. The sega-16 guys aren't very enthused about the port, says it's a useless third controller port on that model 1 that no games take advantage of.

I haven't made much of an impression over there yet, I suppose, wanting to squeeze every IOTA of capability out of my hardware.

So the thoughts have been running around my head all night at work: The Genesis is basically internet ready considering it was 199X when it came out. Add modem, add buddy with Genesis across town and play Modem Wars-- too bad it never made it to the Genesis.

Enter the rom dumping. From what I read, you can dump the roms from cart to computer and make new carts. This is cool.

Compare to the Atari ST computer. Both used the second port to do I/O through, both use the 68K processor, and both are 16-bit. I have had these points clicking in my skull (only mildly annoying clicking) all night as I worked. When I get them doing something, I'll definitley drink a beer to celebrate. Maybe two. :)

Nathan

/edit Wickey, check the inside of your other Gen1 that has no port on the outside, there may be a solder pad that isn't used in the inside near there. Read that, too.

Edited by nathanallan

I think my Genesis has that port too, and I bought mine with Sonic included. I didn't think those would have been from the first run? Hmm...

The EXT port was around for a while, more than just what I'd call a first run. I'm pretty sure the port was discontinued by the time of Sonic and the price cut, but if yours came with it then I guess there may have been some left at that point still being shipped.

Even after they stopped populating the port, it's apparent from the last photo that they were still using old motherboards that had been built for it. So it might have remained populated for a while just because they still had the parts.

The guys at the Sega-16 forums still don't seem that interested. I asked Brandon at Superfighter, and I think he'll point me in the right direction for developing for it.

Also, from my other post, it seems that port 2 is a full-blown comm port, modem ready, on the model 2. I might have to make a special cable to use it attached to anything but another Genesis EXT port (port2->EXT) because of the resistors on the mainboard, but soldering up a serial port is not that hard.

According to what I read, it would have taken a modem from sega with the hardware built in. The cable, in theory, will allow any rs-232 modem to work. With appropriate stuff in the cable.

I knew my studying into the 68K processor would come in handy one day! This is a networker's nearly wet dream.

Sorry guys, I'm rambling, it's late but I am excited about this.

Nathan

• Confused 1

I have an Altered Beast poster (I think it came with my Genny) that shows the modem on the backside (along with the Power Base Converter and screenshots of the early games). I always figured the port was for the modem. I'm kinda surprised to hear the sega-16 guys think it's for a third controller. Just what are their Sega credentials anyway? j/k ;)

I have an Altered Beast poster (I think it came with my Genny) that shows the modem on the backside (along with the Power Base Converter and screenshots of the early games). I always figured the port was for the modem. I'm kinda surprised to hear the sega-16 guys think it's for a third controller. Just what are their Sega credentials anyway? j/k ;)

I'm pretty convinced it was for a modem. I remember reading about that supposedly upcoming modem when the Genesis was being launched. I think it was in a "Boy's Life" article - not exactly an authority on the subject but anyway, it was being talked about way back then.

The Sega-16 guys might just mean it functions like a controller port, not that it would actually be used that way.

The Sega-16 guys might just mean it functions like a controller port, not that it would actually be used that way.

This is probably true, because the controller ports have the same number and same kind of capicitors and diodes above them. If you looked at them side by side, it would be hard to tell the difference.

Okay, got a second Gen1 on the way so I won't have to do any guesswork as to whether the second controller port on a Gen2 will work or not. Do that later.

Since I haven't done anything yet but get some bulk cable and lots of pins, let's discuss.

According to the pinout there are four data lines, and from everything I read they are bidirectional. It's more like a cut down parallel port than a serial, which is good but makes getting it to talk to a modem a bit more involved. Something I might try is to go with an embedded ethernet device further down the road.

To get them talking, whatever program would have to facilitate this. Here, I am thinking a pong type game, just to prove the capability and to get good I/O going. I'll have to buy a blank cart, or some kind of flash cart. I would rather buy one of those carts rather than a boatload of blank rom chips and programmer, etc. That would be the last thing I would have to actually purchase, I would think, for a while.

Also, for the Gen consoles with no EXT port, I have a Naki brand controller that actually has a serial port on the top of it. I will post a pic or two later, but my camera's batteries need recharging. Does anyone have any info on any of the Genesis Naki controllers?

About the pinout, what do TL, TH and TR mean? I ought to know this, but just don't.

Sega Pinout

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, bump for a great thread.

Next, I found an unofficial revision list for the different Model 1's out there: Sega-16's Revision Thread

and a pic of the Naki that I need info for.

Also, it crossed my mind that maybe, just maybe the Genesis can use a parallel port to ethernet adapter, since it is a cut down ppt.

post-7404-1219353755_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathanallan

Just FWIW...

The EXT port esentially the same as the two front controller ports, only it's a female plug instead of a male plug. All three ports can be made to do serial I/O (300, 1200, 2400, and 4800 baud), but the one in back was intended to be used with a modem. (The modem was only released in Japan.) You need a RS-232 to TTL level converter to use this with an RS-232 port. I have actually used it with a hack of an old version of Macsbug to do some debugging, but it wasn't easy. (And the lack of a Bus Error circuit didn't help.)

Also, while many Genesis 1 units have the port, and quite a few have it unpopulated on the board (I've modded one to populate it with a plug and cut the hole in the case), very few of them are the original version which doesn't have the lockout ROM. If you see the "licensed by sega" message, you don't have a first revision.

The first revision of the Genesis lets you play the third-party games which didn't have the lockout code. After not having one for a long time, suddenly I found three of them in a period of about two weeks.

If I remember correctly, there WAS a modem that came out for the Genesis, but it was only in Japan. The only game I really remember hearing about that worked with it was some Soccer game.

Are my posts invisible? I mentioned that the modem came out for the Genesis, but only in Japan.... :)

Perhaps if I soup up my post a bit more?

:P

post-1161-1219788724_thumb.jpg

post-1161-1219788730_thumb.jpg

OK. First off, on the Gen 2, the 2nd controller port CAN be used to communicate with the computer. I remember reading something on that years ago, you'd need a Sega CD attached, download the software, burn to CD. Now. You put the CD in the Sega CD, with a cable running from Port 2 to the serial port on your PC, and you're free to dump roms and who knows what else. I've never actually done it, but I'd read about it in a few places.

Also, I'm pretty sure the EXT port on the Gen 1 can be used for the same thing, by the looks of it, although this is the first I've heard of that.

• 1 month later...