IGNORED

How to make Atari 2600 16K homebrew carts (Telegames)?

Retrofan

I have some 8K Telegames carts and want to know, if I can use them for 16K/32K games, too (similar to the AtariAge PCBs)?

For 8K games they work perfectly. Perhaps someone knows what to do with the PCBs to use them for bigger eproms.

Second question: For 8K roms I have to switch the 4K banks A-B to B-A. Which is the correct order of the banks for a 16K Eprom? B-A-D-C or D-C-B-A?

Here are photos of the PCB:

Upside with chips (without eprom)

post-4682-1217853452_thumb.jpg

Upside without chips:

post-4682-1217853474_thumb.jpg

Downside:

post-4682-1217853486_thumb.jpg

The simple answer is no - I had the same question a while back and reverse-engineered the boards. The jumpers at the top are for supporting larger chips, but NOT larger games. That is, the jumpers will allow you to use a 16k or 32k chip on the board but still only 8k of space on the chip will be supported. I have used this feature myself as I have a zillion 32k EPROMs but very few 8k.

For the more complex answer, if you don't mind deadbugging another chip on there and adding a cap, you might be able to get 16k, or possibly 32k out of it. The good news is that (IIRC) the 74138 is wired such that you should be able to get proper address decoding for 16k-32k, but you still need a latch for 16k or two for 32k. Another 7400 might work. It is not going to look pretty, however.

• 10 years later...