IGNORED

H/w mod’s or upgrades you bought or done for classic h/w

carmel_andrews

Here’s mine

130xe bought with 4 in 1 o/s upgrade (standard xe o/s, warp speed o/s which allowed modded 1050’s/810’s to utilise the hi speed upgrades without the need for special Ultraspeed Formatting/ sector Skewing, Omni mon and Ultimon which were built in o/s’s with m/c lang. debuggers and 800 o/s also)

800xl, bought with o/s controller card (o/s upgrade) and a Rambo (or Standard) 256k ram upgrade

130 xe (with same o/s u’g as 800xl)

Atari 800, bought with the 800 version of Ultimon (an o/s with m/c lang. debugger)

Atari 1050

2 Bought with Super Archiver II mod (in ea. drive)

1 Bought w/Happy 1050 mod

1 bought with lazer/USD mod (a happy clone/ripoff)

Speedy 1050 upgrade (which I did myself)

Atari Ste

Upgraded it to 4meg (which I did myself) and a dual tos (and tos switcher) which someone else did for me

Also a mod to allow the Ste to use a standard internal Amiga drive (info. Wasn’t released into PD as this was my own mod)

Any more for any more

It's OS, not O/S.

130XE - built in self-made APE. SVideo port, 3.5mm audio jack (I intend to replace that with an RCA).

800XL - Supervideo upgrade (didn't turn out so great, backed off some of the mod). Added chroma output line.

Standalone APE interface.

Amiga CD32 - got it from eBay and it didn't have the PSU, so I had to modify a 6-pin plug into a 4-pin plug to fit it's power input, then wired it to a molex connector to run off a PC power supply.

PS1 - my first one was chipped (by someone else), although it failed after a year.

7800 - pending S-Video and seperate audio upgrade

A 1050 with a parallel interface for data transfer to the CPU.

Enable $D600-$D7FF memory for DOS 2.0 buffers. (allows DD copying without increasing LOMEM)

IDE interface.

...and some other stuff.

Bob

Here’s mine

130xe bought with 4 in 1 o/s upgrade (standard xe o/s, warp speed o/s which allowed modded 1050’s/810’s to utilise the hi speed upgrades without the need for special Ultraspeed Formatting/ sector Skewing, Omni mon and Ultimon which were built in o/s’s with m/c lang. debuggers and 800 o/s also)

800xl, bought with o/s controller card (o/s upgrade) and a Rambo (or Standard) 256k ram upgrade

Atari 800, bought with the 800 version of Ultimon (an o/s with m/c lang. debugger)

Atari 1050

Atari Ste

Upgraded it to 4meg (which I did myself) and a dual tos (and tos switcher) which someone else did for me

Also a mod to allow the Ste to use a standard internal Amiga drive (info. Wasn’t released into PD as this was my own mod)

Any more for any more

It's OS, not O/S.

One would suggest you give the follwing link a looksie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O/S

it states for the record that both shortforms are an accepted standard shortform

not to step in you guys' pile or anything, but wikipedia isn't exactly a definitive source. (and I always see it written as OS when referring to 8 bits)

Back in the day:

130xe (my original one) - 320k ram upgrade, piggybacked. Built a battery backup system (UPS of sorts) to run a BBS on it, but never finished the setup before buying my first ST.

520st - 1meg ram upgrade, piggybacked. DSDD internal drive upgrade.

In the last decade or so:

1200xl - clearpic, 512k ram upgrade (forget the source), internal sio2pc

130xe - 512k ram upgrade (also forget the source), internal sio2pc

1040st - 4meg ram upgrade, internal scsi

(all of these computers were given away/sold when I moved last)

Current:

1200xl - (rambo 256k, clearpic, internal MyIDE with internal CF card reader, dual pokey)

C64 - dual SIDs, custom Prophet64 keyboard keycaps, modded case with paddle pots and mini joystick

Gameboy Color - prosound mod, LED backlight

Edit: Didn't know if original XBox counts...but I modded mine with an Xecuter3 and 320gb HD in it. I did also chip a PS2 some time back, but it died a horrible death when the dog pulled it off of the shelf during a particularly raucous GH session... :D

Edited by cephallus

Atari 800 Engineering Serial 26 prototype - with original 36K RAM but modified by Atari to reflect production memory map, OS, and BASIC. See this thread.

Atari 400 plus Axlon RAM-CRAM - self-modified for 48K RAM.

Atari 800 - self-modified for 64K RAM, plus AXLON RAM-CRAM self-modified to 128K RAMDISK, plus self-made SoftCart, plus self-made EPROM burner. See here.

Atari 800XL - self-modified for "Quarter Meg" RAM, plus partial Supervideo mod. See this one.

Edited by ClausB

Here’s mine

Atari Ste

Any more for any more

AMIGA 500+

68030@50mhz

68881@50mhz

40 megabytes 32bit system RAM

2 megabytes custom chip RAM

Internal 1.8meg AMIGA hi-density floppy.

Internal scan-doubled/de-interlaced VGA output.

GVP HD+ hardisk controller with 2.1gig internal SCSI hardisk.

ATARI STe: Used as a wedge shaped doorstop to hold the shit-house door open.

PMSL.

The STe isn't quite that useless. At the least it should chock the back door open, leave outhouse duties to a Spectrum or something.

And, doesn't expanding RAM involve simply pushing SIMMs into place? The only instance I've found that hard was on certain old '386 machines that were stupid enough to situate them under the PSU which meant pulling the thing out to access them.

In an 800XL, at one point I had a 2nd PIA wired to a parallel port. Then I used a parallel null-modem/laplink type cable hooked to a PC and wrote programs to transfer files back and forth. Later I built a MyIDE internal interface but had many problems with it. I suspected the problem was the NCR CPU that Mr. Atari warns about but after I gave up messing around with it, in favor of registered APE and SIO2PC cable, I figured out that it had been a cruddy EPROM the whole time. I bought a Wizztronics 256KB PCB and installed that in one my of 800XLs. Now I also have Ken's MIO :)

In my Sony HB-F1II (MSX2) I built a RAM upgrade using a 512KB SRAM chip. It involved soldering five wires to pins on a 100-pin SMD chip @_@ I also wired up a "turbo switch" which lets me turn off an unneeded memory waitstate (although it causes graphical glitches in certain screen modes due to their lame choice to rely on software delays to appease the VDP's datarate limitations.)

At home:

- 800XL: 256KB (not done by me).

- 1050: switch to write bad-sectors (but removed, caused RF interference).

At office:

- 1050: power for SIO cable (not done by me).

- 1050: replaced disk drive with a DVD unit and most of the board with an IDE-2-USB mini-board and an "internal" power adaptor, just keep front panel's switch and led working. Looks great as an external retro-unit. I don't know if this counts as a mod ;)

Both drives are connected to my DELL desktop.

++Vitoco

800XL with supermon and super ram, cold start switch and an extra switch that toggles RA9 line for some very special hacking.

800 with super 800-xl upgrade and superram with xe like mod.

800 with John Nickoles monintor. Never seen outside of australia. Uses bank switching to map 8K monintor into 4K

1050 that started life with supermax and superled. now has supermax replaced with superarchiver.

800XL with Printmon and Printmon interface and with superram

800XL with rambo ram upgrade. (bought that way)

1050 with happy. (bought that way)

xf551 duel drive upgrade

xf551 with xf update (usd compatible) and xf enhancer

600XL with 64K internal

oss cart with Basic XL, XE, Mac/65 and Action all in one.

2 atari carts with 16 8k games on one and 8 16k games on the other. selectable with dip switches

Indus GT with an extra switch to write to the back side of disks without a notch.

810 with archiver chip and write protect switch

James

Think that is all the hardware mods

Edited by sup8pdct

Here’s mine

Atari 1050

Atari Ste

Any more for any more

Too many to mention. Tons of ST mods and Atari 8bit. Several arcade mods.

I just got 8bitMaestro's 320k upgrade for the 130xe with 4bit ram chips. I will see if it can be modified to upgrade a 600xl to 256k.

Assuming it fits, yeah it can.. But its ALOT of wiring.. And the first thing you gotta do is remove the two TTL ICs hes got on there..

You could do a much nicer job with a piece of perfboard..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

1200xl with RAMBO 256k, video upgrade, internal ps/2 keyboard encoder (used for videogames and in conjunction with my office Dell)

1050 converted to DVD/CDRW and USB hub (used in conjunction with my office Dell)

1050 with internal SIO2PC (used with home 1200xl)

1064 gutted and converted to SIO2SD (home)

Assuming it fits, yeah it can.. But its ALOT of wiring.. And the first thing you gotta do is remove the two TTL ICs hes got on there..

All the ICs, resistor, capacitor, and connections are seperate. It is a kit and you would have to solder it all together onto the bare board.

All the ICs, resistor, capacitor, and connections are seperate. It is a kit and you would have to solder it all together onto the bare board.

Yep... But unfortunately, your gonna have to have different/more logic to do what you wanna do, and even if you cut traces on that board and drill holes to mount diferent ICs, It'll end up being twice the pain in the ass and not nearly as neat as it could be done on a piece of perfboard, to start with.

ATARI STe: Used as a wedge shaped doorstop to hold the shit-house door open.

LOL!!! About right.

800 with super 800-xl upgrade and superram with xe like mod.

Nice! Do you have the specs to this upgrade?

For me, a lot of Atari 800 stuff that I use off an on, though I mainly use a stock 800 (and right now XEGS)

-Warerat XE 576K mod for the 800

-MrAtari MyIde800 OS Clu ;)

Other additions:

-A/V Breakout box from A8maestro

-Speedier module " " " (19.2K baud)

-SIO Spider " " " (Lets you have multiple SIO ports)

-SIO2SD module.

Plan on picking up the U-Jack from a8maestro when that becomes available to use USB devices off the SIO power. :)

What I consider to be nice additions (though not hardware mods)

Atari 5200 - Atarimax 128-in-1 USB cartridge

Atari 7800 - Cuttle Cart 2

And like Metalguy, I use 810 disk drives to prop open doors in my house. :D

1200xl with RAMBO 256k, video upgrade, internal ps/2 keyboard encoder (used for videogames and in conjunction with my office Dell)

1050 converted to DVD/CDRW and USB hub (used in conjunction with my office Dell)

What kind of job do you have, where you get to use a 1200XL and 1050 at work? (And are they hiring?)

Seriously though... do you use the Atari stuff to do actual work, or are they there for goofing off on your lunch break and/or showing off to visitors?