IGNORED

H/w mod’s or upgrades you bought or done for classic h/w

carmel_andrews

1200xl with RAMBO 256k, video upgrade, internal ps/2 keyboard encoder (used for videogames and in conjunction with my office Dell)

1050 converted to DVD/CDRW and USB hub (used in conjunction with my office Dell)

What kind of job do you have, where you get to use a 1200XL and 1050 at work? (And are they hiring?)

Seriously though... do you use the Atari stuff to do actual work, or are they there for goofing off on your lunch break and/or showing off to visitors?

The 1200xl is used primarily as a keyboard for my pc, but also to play Joust, Zork, etc., when I need a stress reliever. The 1050 is no longer a 1050, it's a DVD drive for my PC.

1050 converted to DVD/CDRW and USB hub (used in conjunction with my office Dell)

That's exactly what I did, so it can be count as a mod!

@yorgle: Do you have some pictures of it? Did the DVD unit match exactly inside the 1050 enclosure, or the front panel pops out a bit (about 6 mm or 1/4 in) like mine?. Did you do something to fix it?

I took some pictures at some steps of my mod to blog it, but didn't published yet because it's a (long) running project. I need some pieces to finish it (one type A and 2 type B female USB connectors to fix on one I/O and power rear connectors for the internal HUB) and want to make the drive's panel look like the original 5.25" disk drive, but have no time... Well, at least I can use it as a DVD burner/player, and I like it... and it feels good when someone asks for that "things" over my desk :cool:

++V

That's exactly what I did, so it can be count as a mod!

@yorgle: Do you have some pictures of it? Did the DVD unit match exactly inside the 1050 enclosure, or the front panel pops out a bit (about 6 mm or 1/4 in) like mine?. Did you do something to fix it?

I took some pictures at some steps of my mod to blog it, but didn't published yet because it's a (long) running project. I need some pieces to finish it (one type A and 2 type B female USB connectors to fix on one I/O and power rear connectors for the internal HUB) and want to make the drive's panel look like the original 5.25" disk drive, but have no time... Well, at least I can use it as a DVD burner/player, and I like it... and it feels good when someone asks for that "things" over my desk :cool:

++V

I guess I got lucky. I used a cheap DVD unit and it fit perfectly. The only thing I had to do with the 1050 case was cut down one of the posts inside the case. I'll try to get some pics posted later today. For the USB port, again, I was lucky and the female end of an extra USB extension cord I had in a drawer fit the on/off switch openning perfectly. All I did was glue it in place. I'd like to add an LED at some point.

Ok, here are some pics:

post-9249-1218740590_thumb.jpg

post-9249-1218740602_thumb.jpg

post-9249-1218740612_thumb.jpg

Edited by yorgle

How did you get a stereo SID in a C128? Did you do the piggyback hack or did you get a SID2SID board?

Made my own plug-in daughterboard.

Oh, OK. I've been thinking of getting a SID2SID as it SHOULD work in a C128, but nobody seems to have tried it yet so I'm somewhat wary about taking the plunge.

It should work fine, I don't see why it wouldn't. If you run into space issues, you can use long headers in place of the original socket to raise it higher, or even mount it remotely with ribbon cable.

I should have bought a bunch of those boards with my Prophet cart...it's so much easier/faster/cleaner than piggybacking them...

It should work fine, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Yes, it will work.

http://www.prophet64-forum.com/viewforum.php?id=18

Do realise that the 6581 and 8580/6582 do have a voltage difference. Pin 28 (vdd). On C64's with 6581 it's 12v, on C128's/C64C's with 8580/6582's it's 9v. What this means in laymans terms is that a 6581 will work on all of them without damage, where as the 8580/6582 will only work on the C128/C64C (trying to use a 8580/6582 on a C-64 without adding a voltage regulator will destroy the SID along with the VIC and others).

That's all covered in some of those threads, and is irrevelant to the issue of using this on a C128 anyways.

800 with super 800-xl upgrade and superram with xe like mod.

Nice! Do you have the specs to this upgrade?

it is a plugin board for the rom board. it has 2 static ram chips , eprom and several LS logic chips to partialy emulate port B of the PIA. write only. and then is the bit for os roms on/off only. read and write of port B will get/put data from/to the real PIA.

It has os rom Rev B with SuperMON. It has 2 switches, Supermon on/off and XL ram emulation on/off still with RevB os.

The emulated xl os has been patched slightly to prevent the roms from being switched off.

The XE ram emulation requires Superram 800. several tracks need to be cut and a 4pole double throw switch required.

A wire from the rom addon board is required to emulate the xe ram.

I have patched the XLrom to have 4 joysticks and 8 paddles to work with 800 xl emulator and tried it.

SDX saw the 800 as if it was an XE

Adding boards to the os and ram boards makes for a tight fit.

I still have the bare boards here tho I need to find them again and remember what chips go where.

James

Done and designed by myself:

• 1998: cartridge port for NES rom cartridges, with manual switches to select banks of 16kB: using this I ripped the Super Mario Bros 3 cartridge

• 1999: Network cable / protocol (one-way) from a Commodore 64 to an Atari 8bit (parallel port, from C64 user port to A8 joystick port)

• 2002: 2nd GTIA + 2nd ANTIC board for real APAC: 80x * 192y * 256c. With fully functioning RAS/CAS decoding for extra 64kB D-RAM

• 2002: IDE interface; It had some lockups sometimes though

• 2003: SID board: A board with SID, 64kB S-RAM for samples, a 6510 CPU and some memory mapping decoder chip (simulated by EPROM)

Done by myself:

• 2002: SIO2PC cable

• 2007: NES joystick, made compatible for A8 joystick port

Bought for A8:

• 2003: 2 Atarimax flash cartridges (1mbyte) (I got the 2nd one ;) )

• 2005: USB cartridge

• 2006: a new SIO2PC cable, old one malfunctioning and I didn't want to make myself a new one, so I bought it :)

Buying now:

• 2008: SIO2USB interface

(!! All for Atari8bit)

Edited by Analogue Multiplexer

I didn't list my comms stuff...

Also did a C-64 to Atari interface. Fairly sure it used the C-64 serial port and joystick port on the Atari side.

The '64 just acted as a slave and the Atari sent commands to it to either read or write a section of memory.

Still got the disks with the code, but I think I cannibalised the cable to make an X1541.

Once the fun with that was over, decided to get the ST in on the act.

Made a SIO to ST parallel port cable (like XFormer, I suppose). Wrote a program on the ST to emulate a 1050 drive.

It allowed 4 virtual drives, could have added more. I didn't have any info on fast SIO commands, so didn't incorporate turbo modes.

Edited by Rybags

• 1999: Network cable / protocol (one-way) from a Commodore 64 to an Atari 8bit (parallel port, from C64 user port to A8 joystick port)
Also did a C-64 to Atari interface. Fairly sure it used the C-64 serial port and joystick port on the Atari side.

In 1984 at PDI I did a serial cable from the Atari 800 SIO to the C64 and a one-way protocol, from Atari to C64 (because, well, nothing good could ever come the other way).

Edited by ClausB