IGNORED

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

Walter_J-64

I can say, it actually is a pretty good game.

actually there's nothing to it then buttonbashing, but actually on a cool way.

Okay the graphics are nowhere near Jaguar Quality and it's extremely hard. but it's a nice one to get :)

I've never been a fan of this game. Maybe I need to pull it out and take some aggression out on the buttons. :)

Jason

I think it's quite good. I enjoy it, but you do have to look past it not being of "64-bit" caliber. What I really like about it is that it's standard martial arts, no stupid magic power moves with lightning or fire or other Mortal Combat fantasy crap here...very cool when you get good enough to get the num-chucks.

Actually, worked on Cannon Fodder, Dragon, Demolition Man and Creature Shock. Neither Demo Man and Ceature Shock made it out the door. I do recall seeing a demo of Creature Shock and Demo Man as well.

Creature Shock got cancelled first. I think the reason behind that, was that Atari saw how bad the game was 'n' didn't want anymore bad games. Don't quote me on that, but I believe that was the case. Demo Man actually had playable, but it was very early. I think the opening of the game was in there, but that was about it. I believe the story with it, if I recall correctly, was that.. by that time.. Atari must've realized that it wasn't going anywhere and that they were losing the battle. They started cutting titles left and right and Demo Man was one of them. It wasn't too bad of a game, just... I'm not sure it did really well in the cinema. I'm sure Atari would of had to of paid Virgin and the movie company royalties out on that title. It probably made financial sense to Atari to cut their losses as much as possible at that time.

I used to have the demos of these loong time ago, but they've since been lost. When I left Virgin, I left alot of my stuff behind.

- Ken

Actually, worked on Cannon Fodder, Dragon, Demolition Man and Creature Shock. Neither Demo Man and Ceature Shock made it out the door. I do recall seeing a demo of Creature Shock and Demo Man as well.

Creature Shock got cancelled first. I think the reason behind that, was that Atari saw how bad the game was 'n' didn't want anymore bad games. Don't quote me on that, but I believe that was the case. Demo Man actually had playable, but it was very early. I think the opening of the game was in there, but that was about it. I believe the story with it, if I recall correctly, was that.. by that time.. Atari must've realized that it wasn't going anywhere and that they were losing the battle. They started cutting titles left and right and Demo Man was one of them. It wasn't too bad of a game, just... I'm not sure it did really well in the cinema. I'm sure Atari would of had to of paid Virgin and the movie company royalties out on that title. It probably made financial sense to Atari to cut their losses as much as possible at that time.

I used to have the demos of these loong time ago, but they've since been lost. When I left Virgin, I left alot of my stuff behind.

It's a shame that you don't have those still. I have a disk that contains a copy of the demolition game that you talk about above for the Jaguar CD. But the disk is physically damaged and not recoverable. But at least I was able to take the raw RGB still frames and recordings and piece them together and make a FMV video play CD so people could see what the game might have looked like on the Jaguar CD (from a FMV point of view).

I'm glad to see you sharing your stories about your time with the Jaguar. I'd be real interested in hearing more about what it was like working with Atari. What were some things you like about the Jaguar and what kind of real cool stuff did you get to see that never made it out?

Has working on the Jaguar prepared you much for some of the systems were seeing today?

Glenn

Hmmmm.... Here's a good story concerning Atari and it's Jaguar system. eheheh

When I first heard that Atari was coming out with a new console waaaay back, I immediately wanted for us at Virgin to make games for it. I made a call to some people at Atari ("They'll remain nameless.") and they were incredibly stoked that Virgin was interested in the Jaguar. You have to bare in mind that at this point in time, Virgin just released Aladdin for the Sega Genesis. "That was an incredible hit for us." So, Atari being asked by Virgin about the Jaguar, really knocked them out of their socks. I had asked for pricing on their Dev Kits, and it was pretty outrageous. I think it was something like $8k for the basic unit, and $12k for the CD.

All we really wanted was just one Dev Kit to start loking at the our first couple'a revs of Dragon. Management at Virgin WAS NOT supportive of the Jaguar or the Tramiels at all. So, they frowned on buying anything from Atari at all.

Well, I got back to the guys I know at Atari and tell them this. I kid you not... Next Day we our shipped at least ten (10) Jaguar development kits at "No Cost."

"That's how bad Atari wanted developers to get on-board." They were willing to give their $$$ hardware up for free. I shouldn't speak to loudly though, 'cause 3DO did the same thing when they were planning to realease their next iteration of their system. Codenamed 'Bulldog."

Of course, that never happened.

Another funny thing I remember about those times was that when these two guys came down from Atari to visit Virgin and demo off the Jaguar, I was asked to make sure that if Sam Tramiel came with them, he WAS NOT to be allowed inside the building AT ALL. That he'd have to wait outside. eheheheh

- Ken

• 6 years later...

But oh man is this game ever a stinker! LMAO... I tried to play it again tonight...give it another chance... This game is impossibly hard. I put it on the easiest setting and still nearly got my ass handed to me by the first opponent! LOL. This game is much more archaic than even Street Fighter II... No special moves or ANYTHING! Except I guess SOMEHOW you're able to punch and kick really fast and use nunchucks, but I couldn't figure that out to save my life... One of my least liked Jag games for sure. :) It just screams "mediocre 16-bit port"...

Dragon is a fighting game in which button smashing does not help you.

You have to plan and time your attacks to win a game, which is cool.

I like this game very much, very nice music, good atmosphere, fluid animation.... AND it does look a lot better then the SNES version, altough not 64 bit ;)

Also the 2 player vs CPU mode is very much fun.

To each his own, I guess...

Edited by Isgoed

I played it quite a bit. I would rate it a 5 or 6 out of ten. Not a bad game but it sure doesn't stand out from the crowd. The one redeeming factor is that for a mid-90s games it does look very good, with large detailed sprites and great background art.

Ya it is a nice looking 2d game. Although that said, there isn't much at all going on on-screen... It does look fairly high-res though. And it is smooth. I just can't get past the fact that it feels like I'm playing some mediocre 16-bit fighting game from the early 90's... And finally the main thing I had a problem with. The play mechanics in this game... The control is responsive enough, but the play mechanics are just plain funky. Also the game is far too difficult on the easiest setting...

• 3 years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Ep4Fhr9-w Played this game some more and really its not as bad as I made it out to be in my previous comments in this thread. ;) It just took more practice. Not a game you can just pick up and play and be good.

I have to say the music from this game really grew on me as well. Just sounds cool and really clear, I cant imagine the SNES or Genesis version music is anywhere near the cd quality the Jag has. I bet Jag version has sharper resolution too. Not sure about how many colors are used, I would guess more on the Jag version even if it was a port? Maybe they added colors?

Edited by kevincal