IGNORED

TIP Animator

For BombJack testing i've used g2f.act palette with the folowing settings;

Black level: 0

White level: 230

Saturiation: 110

Of course "use external pallette"and "apply adjustment" are checked.

I'd recommend everyone to do this too and not to use the emulators palette, this way you will get as close as possible to the real thing. I use the laoo.act palette personally with the levels also slightly manually altered to suit my monitor settings.

Well,

so now I have learned something. I will test my animations with G2F, Jakub or Laoo palette in the future for sure... On the other hand, I would suggest to load my released tip animations with standard/internal Atari 800 Win palette, they look much better then (thats how I wanted them to be)... Since I did not keep the sources I cannot change or create the XEX files once more (and I am much too lazy to convert them again)... -Andreas Koch.

:-o :D double buffering is now added! wow

yes... this is way to cool!!! Just what transcendental.xex needs... Too bad I can't find the sources... shoulda kept them .tip and .bmp files...

Just one question though... seeing as I'm not using a Windows based system anymore, where is the pascal source files or has the source been closed? Has it changed to much to be anything other than a Windows program atm? It wouldn't be to hard to change over. You wouldn't have to embed mads and such... Anyways... enough of me rambling on here...

Hmm,

maybe with double buffering some of my lame converted movies can be done much better ?!? Here is a link to the original aircombat movie (as well as other 3d-movies and animations): http://www.3d-designer.com/en/galery/galery.htm

The Jaguar movies were downloaded from youtube of course... (and converted into AVI and then converted into single frames and then converted into TIP etc. etc. - a lot of work)... -Andreas Koch.

Hello Tebe,

thanks for the new version of tip animator. Why didn`t you name it version 2.9 - and the loading screen of the created animations still says V2.8 ?!?

Besides, I think I have found a bug, looks like some animations that don`t need double buffering do not work correct with the new version... Attached an example of a clown that shoots an arrow (clown_arrow.zip), one animations is created with the older version 2.8 (bugfree!), the other version was created with the new tip version with double buffering. For both versions I have used the same tip pictures (when the new version of tip animator created the buggy animation, I just started the old tip animator and used the same pictures to create the bugfree version)... both clown animations use a speed delay of 12 (or $000C)...

And err, last not least, does the new tip animator version still use RLE compression ?!? But "onedic" and "exo" are gone ?!?

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

did a few tests with some GIF animations and movies, which I converted into tip animations with Tip Animator 2.8 (older version) and Tip Animator xB (newer version)...

Test 1: named Rayani*.XEX, this is a small GIF animation (just 5 frames); in my eyes there is no difference in the tip animations regarding flicker etc., only the file size of the V28 ani is much shorter (due to compression with exomizer)...

Test 2: named DanJet*.XEX, a small excerpt from a movie (converted from youtube) 96 frames downsized to 12 frames; since I only took every 8th frame of the movie, I thought there would be a lot of flicker, but there isn`t. Thus the created tip animations of Version 2.8 and Version xB look almost the same (at least in my eyes); while the xB version requires 128k, the 2.8 version requires only 64k...

Test 3: named FlyThru*.XEX, another small excerpt from a movie (not from youtube), 100 frames downsized to 25 frames; I took every 4th frame of the movie and voila: the tip animation of version 2.8 (flythru2.xex) has a lot of flicker, while the tip animation of version xB (flythru1.xex) has less (or almost no) flicker...

So, it looks like some animations are already good enough with version 2.8 of the tip animator, while others are much better with the newer xB version of tip animator... and hey, don`t tell me the animations are lame, did them only for testing...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hello folks,

here are two more tip animations:

- Bronco Road 64k, created with version 2.8, looks quite similar to the "ufo behind" animation, maybe it was the same author ?

- Strandball 128k, girls on the beach, hehe! two versions, one created with version 2.8 and one created with version xb. again, there is no big difference, except that version xb has a small bug (when you start the ani the first time with the emu, look at the ball on the right side of the screen and you should see it; it is not there anymore when the ani restarts)... so version 2.8 seems to be the better one here...

Both versions should be viewed with external G2F palette (just in case)... -Andreas Koch.

Just wondering if there is a fix for a 256K 800XL (Wizztronics/Rambo XL).

The 64K animations run fine but the 128K ones either get a corrupted display or just plain crash.

TIA

- Steve Sheppard

Hmm,

if I remember correctly this upgrade replaces 64k RAM by 256k RAM, so the total memory is only 256k RAM (and not 320k RAM). Of course since the A8 still needs its base 64k, you have 64k base RAM and 192k XRAM. I already asked TeBe (here in this thread) to include the RAM upgrades that replace the base RAM (instead of adding XRAM to the base RAM), but it looks like he requires more informations for these kind of upgrades... Some of the older types use XRAM blocks 8AE, the newer types use XRAM blocks ACE, if I remember correctly. Alas, most software that sees the XRAM, has problems with these kind of upgrades - it also sees part of the 64k base RAM as XRAM and thats what causes a corrupted display (garbage, etc.) or just a crash. Not sure, if it can be fixed within tip animator (and its tip animations)... -Andreas Koch.

I really like this tool... :)

Well,

I also like this tool very much. But, the new version of tip animator (2xb V1.0) shows graphic bugs with some animations. There are two examples here at AA in this topic (clown_arrow and strandball) and I did also send TeBe a third example which shows graphic bugs, when the tip pictures are converted into an animation with the new tip animator.

Luckily the examples I have uploaded here did not produce flicker, so I can simply use the animations created with the older version 2.8. Alas this is not the case with some other animations, e.g. the one which I did send to TeBe, with version 2.8 you have high flicker and no graphic bugs, with version 2xB there is no flicker but therefore graphic bugs... oh well...

Hopefully TeBe can fix this (or these) bug(s) and upload a new version of tip animator 2xB soon... -Andreas Koch.

Just a quick question? How do you guys get such good colors in your animations? The Frog on a Swing, Druid, and Magician animations come to mind... are you fixing each frame in Photoshop or something? I only seem to get decent results in grayscale, colors aren't that great even when I'm using g2f and jakub palettes...

Edited by dwhyte

I found one way of getting better colour representation is to increase the saturation in Photoshop.

But... one problem I've encountered is that often it doesn't map colours quite right - converting to an A8 palette often results in some blues being represented as Color 10 which is bluish green and definately not wanted for blues.

I found one way of getting better colour representation is to increase the saturation in Photoshop.

But... one problem I've encountered is that often it doesn't map colours quite right - converting to an A8 palette often results in some blues being represented as Color 10 which is bluish green and definately not wanted for blues.

Is there a A8 palette for Photoshop?

You can load in the same palettes that Atari800Win+ uses, so there's plenty of ones available.

Still, the major gripe I have seems to rest with Photoshop itself - it either/both converts blues to Color value 10, or just converts huge areas to grey.

Best fix for the second problem seems to be to just increase saturation. It looks cartoon-like but once downconverted generally doesn't look too bad anyway since the A8 palette on real hardware isn't exactly saturated to start with, and modes like APAC and TIP do PAL colour mixing which results in further saturation loss anyway.