IGNORED

Needham EMP-10 Device Programmer

Albert

Anyone interested in a Needham EMP-10 Device Programmer? This is a DOS-based programmer that uses a parallel port connection to the computer. I'll program up to 40-pin DIP parts, supporting most types of EPROMs, some microcontrollers and one PLD (22V10). I used this for a while before I needed a more advanced programmer. Includes the programmer, power supply, the three "Family Modules" (M1, M2, M3), manual, install CD and box.

Here's a picture of the programmer:

needham.jpg

$50 plus shipping. I'm looking for a parallel cable so I can test it, but it should work fine.

..Al

Hey cool! We used to use those and EMP-20s at school to program Atmel 8051 microcontrollers. The software is a pain to use.

For reference: There is a free application called "Userport" that will let the programming software run correctly on Win2k/XP boxes. Installing it is a no-brainer; it runs as a service after the first execution. I don't know if Userport works on Vista or not.

Very cool, and good luck Al.

Hex.

[ Just talkin'... looking for a beer... ]

Needhams has a driver package available on its website that enables the original DOS software to run on WinXP provided you go into fullscreen mode before activating the programmer.

Great legacy programmers, those.

Needhams website has been gone for months. :ponder:

Some of the stuff from the website, like the device list link I posted earlier, can be retrieved via the waybackmachine though. ;)

Unfortunately I went to test this programmer and for some reason it will not power up. Need to dig out my voltmeter and see if it's a bad power supply. Uses 12VAC, which is kind of odd--I'd have to buy another supply if that's the problem.

Yeah, I tried to go to the Needhams site and was surprised that they are no longer in business. I wasn't sure what the power requirements were (so I could dig up the proper wall wart), so that's the first place I tried to go. The power requirements are not printed in the manual or on the device itself.

..Al

Unfortunately I went to test this programmer and for some reason it will not power up. Need to dig out my voltmeter and see if it's a bad power supply. Uses 12VAC, which is kind of odd--I'd have to buy another supply if that's the problem.

Yeah, I tried to go to the Needhams site and was surprised that they are no longer in business. I wasn't sure what the power requirements were (so I could dig up the proper wall wart), so that's the first place I tried to go. The power requirements are not printed in the manual or on the device itself.

..Al

99% the power supply, I smoked one myself. It's 12VAC - 1A. ;)

• 8 months later...
Anyone interested in a Needham EMP-10 Device Programmer? This is a DOS-based programmer that uses a parallel port connection to the computer. I'll program up to 40-pin DIP parts, supporting most types of EPROMs, some microcontrollers and one PLD (22V10). I used this for a while before I needed a more advanced programmer. Includes the programmer, power supply, the three "Family Modules" (M1, M2, M3), manual, install CD and box.

post-3-1218826121_thumb.jpg

$50 plus shipping. I'm looking for a parallel cable so I can test it, but it should work fine.

..Al

IS THIS PROGRAMER STILL undefined AVAILABLE....

• 3 months later...

I have one here too

..Al

IS THIS PROGRAMER STILL undefined AVAILABLE....

• 7 months later...

..Al

..Al

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...