IGNORED

Want an Enhanced Video Cartridge?

ClausB

Would you buy one?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy one?

• Yes, and I would write software for it!
    • Yes, if software were available.
    • No.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

No. it isn't anything like the VBXE other than they both enhance the Atari video capabilities.

This cart should allow you to set the intensity of any bit or bits on any Atari screen. Anywhere, anytime. Yes, you get to access the VRAM (referred to as FRAM for this hardware). There are no macros or programmed routines - you do it all.

Bob

depends... as demo & game coder... am I able to access the VRAM? what about the sprite capabilities? is this device the Video board Xe by electron?

I don't think so...

The process. I think, is to enable the cart, write to FRAM, (either data or sync) and then disable the cart. When disabled, it's invisible, degated except for the control address/data that enables it again. I suppose you could write under the cart ROM space but I don't think Claus has that in mind.

Bob

because of the extra colours and horiz. rez i take it you've programmed into the cart...additional h/w locations

I like the idea and would buy 1-2 carts.

I would also commit to

* create a volksForth (and x-FORTH if someone would like that) version with 80column support and programming libraries for the new graphics mode

* also, if no other person would like to volunteer for it, I would create a library for the ACTION! language for the new graphics mode

also, new programming projects would support these modes if it makes sense.

Carsten

depends... as demo & game coder... am I able to access the VRAM? what about the sprite capabilities? is this device the Video board Xe by electron?

That's my main thing. If it's just a dumb framebuffer it isn't that interesting even if it does more colors and resolution than ANTIC. I'd be more interested in a coprocessor without graphics as it would be more versatile.

what about the sprite capabilities?
No additional sprites but the Atari PMG would still function normally.

There are no macros or programmed routines - you do it all.
Well, I hope to include some firmware in the disappearing ROM to support 80 columns (like ACE-80) and graphics primitives.

I suppose you could write under the cart ROM space but I don't think Claus has that in mind.
The disappearing ROM would allow normal access to the 8K (either BASIC or RAM) under the cart, just like ACE-80.

Would you pay $50 to $75 (non-profit) for a cartridge that connects with the video DIN cable and adds high resolution graphics modes to the Atari? Up to 640 horizontal pixels with 4 gray levels, or 160 pixels with 256 colors, could be added on top of the existing ANTIC graphics modes. Firmware to support graphics and 80-column text would be included. For more information, see the thread that is developing the idea.

Yes, of course!

Andreas

Will this device work with Turbo-Basic XL?

If someone can help with testing and debugging, we'll make it work. The development of this thing should be a group effort, using these forums, so as to satisfy the whole group.

Thanks.

I think it's important to support TBXL to let simple Atari programmers use your device.

Advanced programmers will surely have no problems using it with machine language.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I voted YES, I am not good at writing software. Also, I would much rather build it myself. :cool:

But in regard to this, I can offer something that may be usefull. I can develop a PCB.

I've done this for the Freezer XL/XE.

And I can build and test prototypes at very low cost. (The only machines I don't have, are the 400/800 and a 1200XL. I would like to have a 1200XL very much)

Apart from good development software for PCB's and drawing of schematic diagrams, I also have a good Oscilloscope and programming equipment for Gal and many other programmable stuff.

Some parts are also available, most TTL-logis and even a bunch of 65C816 processors.

There's one issue though, I live in the PAL part of the world. This makes testing NTSC a bit harder.... ;)

BR/

Guus

• 3 weeks later...
Would you pay $50 to $75 (non-profit) for a cartridge that connects with the video DIN cable and adds high resolution graphics modes to the Atari? Up to 640 horizontal pixels with 4 gray levels, or 160 pixels with 256 colors, could be added on top of the existing ANTIC graphics modes. Firmware to support graphics and 80-column text would be included. For more information, see the thread that is developing the idea.

Of course. Never met an Atari hardware add-on that I didn't like and want to buy.

-Larry

See we are at 21 potential developers/50 potential buyers on this message board alone, not taking into account any of the newsgroups or other community boards.

Not bad for something that doesn't as yet have a working prototype, yet, and is still basically theory; though sound theory.. Not bad at all. Wait until people start to see the developemental hardware and some pretty test piccies. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

Of course. Never met an Atari hardware add-on that I didn't like and want to buy.

-Larry

:) You sound like me!!

And me. I'm a sucker for Atari add-ons, especially simple ones that enhance the practicality of my 1200xl like sio2pc. I dream of the day I can simply plug a cart into my 1200XL and instantly start 80 column, notepad-like wordprocessing. I'd be willing to pay up-front for even a one-off prototype of this concept.