IGNORED

NEW Coleco ADAM Power Supply "Mini"

Since I've been on my Coleco ADAM kick the last few days after the completion of my Mini ColecoVision, I thought I'd finish up my Mini ADAM Power Supply. It's not as fancy as my usual work, but people already complain about my high prices, so I hit up Radio Shack for the enclosure and the switch...please forgive me! ;) This power supply provides all the required voltages and more than the required current for the entire ADAM Memory Console. This will power the ColecoVision game board as well as the ADAM memory board and Digital Data Drives. This power supply is intended to be placed on the left side of the ADAM (which is where the power port is) and grants easy access to the new power switch installed in the enclosure.

So here's the new power supply. It has a small pigtail to plug into the ADAM, and a 6' power cord to be plugged into the wall:

25adampsms4.jpg

Here's the size comparison photo:

35adampssizecomparewg0.jpg

So here's the comparison details:

Original Smartwriter Printer/Power Supply:

Width: 15.50"

Depth: 14.25"

Height: 7.00"

Weight: 15 lbs., 4 oz.

New Mini Power Supply:

Width: 4.00"

Depth: 6.00"

Height: 2.00"

Weight: 1 lb., 1 oz.

Not my fanciest work, but it does the job and I'm sure someone will want to buy it. :evil: I need one with a little more amperage on the +5V line to power the VGA upscaler board in my personal ADAM.

They're gonna be $75.00. This one is on hold pending payment.

heh if i still had my Adam computer with the printer and i got this fix to get rid of the printer altogether the total cost for the Adam/printer and power supply would have been $75 ;)

nice work as always

$75 is too rich for my blood. Any chance you'd offer one for less that only powers the Colecovision side? My tapes have all lost their data over the years, so I only use it to play Colecovision games.

I've considered ripping out the power adapter from my printer, but I'd rather not. Perhaps I should just buy what eColeco offers, I remember they used to have one that just powers the Colecovision portion of the Adam.

Edited by Atariboy

$75 is too rich for my blood. Any chance you'd offer one for less that only powers the Colecovision side? My tapes have all lost their data over the years, so I only use it to play Colecovision games.

I've considered ripping out the power adapter from my printer, but I'd rather not. Perhaps I should just buy what eColeco offers, I remember they used to have one that just powers the Colecovision portion of the Adam.

If you want one for just the ColecoVision portion, all you need is a ColecoVision power supply with a DB-9 plug end rather than the standard ColecoVision plug end (which is what eColeco sells). Also you'd probably want to add a power switch in line with the plug so you don't have to unplg the power supply from the wall to turn it off (eColeco's doesn't have this). I made one for somebody a couple years ago, I think it was PixelBoy.

Thanks, that sounds easy enough. Maybe I'll still go for one of yours soon, I'd like to consider reaquiring a couple of the cassette games.

Any easy way to see if a datapack drive still is in working order without any tapes (Someone that didn't know what they were doing erased what I had years ago)?

Edited by Atariboy

If you want one for just the ColecoVision portion, all you need is a ColecoVision power supply with a DB-9 plug end rather than the standard ColecoVision plug end (which is what eColeco sells). Also you'd probably want to add a power switch in line with the plug so you don't have to unplg the power supply from the wall to turn it off (eColeco's doesn't have this). I made one for somebody a couple years ago, I think it was PixelBoy.

Yep, that's right. :)

A word of caution about eColeco's version though: they use a standard DB-9 connector for hooking up their "CV-only" Adam power supply, which is not directly compatible with the female plug on the Adam memory console. You either have to remove the casing from the wire connector, or chip off a piece above the connector opening on the memory console, so that you can plug the power supply wire all the way in. I don't have doubledown's power supply with me right now, and I don't remember what he did to fix this problem on it.

• 5 months later...
They're gonna be $75.00. This one is on hold pending payment.

I know this topic is nearly 6 months old, but if you are still selling the Adam power supplies, I would like to get one, as my old power supply that I removed from my printer just stopped working. I can send you the money immediately.

Colecovision/Adam game console from ecoleco (that uses the DB-9 power supply connector) with a 6 outlet power strip to provide an on/off switch (use this switch to power on/off the game console as it has no built in power-switch - which is a good thing in this case!

This system has Atari-like, top notch reliability and i've dedicated a small tv to it.

It plays the entire Colecovision cartridge library and expansion modules and I love this system :)

post-15841-1233413512_thumb.jpg

Colecovision/Adam game console from ecoleco (that uses the DB-9 power supply connector) with a 6 outlet power strip to provide an on/off switch (use this switch to power on/off the game console as it has no built in power-switch - which is a good thing in this case!

This system has Atari-like, top notch reliability and i've dedicated a small tv to it.

It plays the entire Colecovision cartridge library and expansion modules and I love this system :)

I have such a power supply, which was modded with an on-off switch (by doubledown, incidently).

The custom power supply unit we're talking about in this thread also provides power to the tape drives and everything else on the Adam, not just the cartridge/expansion ports and the keyboard. :)

I have such a power supply, which was modded with an on-off switch (by doubledown, incidently).

The custom power supply unit we're talking about in this thread also provides power to the tape drives and everything else on the Adam, not just the cartridge/expansion ports and the keyboard. :)

Agreed. I assume the only reason anyone would go the route mentioned by 1982VideoGames is to take advantage of the onboard composite video output of the ADAM, versus having to mod, or pay for a modded CV. To me it seems a little weird due to the ginormous size of the ADAM.

• 1 year later...

If you don't mind if I ask how did you wire the DB9 with the power supply??? I have a old Coleco game PS do you think it would work???

If you don't mind if I ask how did you wire the DB9 with the power supply??? I have a old Coleco game PS do you think it would work???

This might help: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/95886-colecovision-adam-replacement-power-supply/page__view__findpost__p__1159200

5-11under