IGNORED

File version of Summer Games?

a8isa1

Probably isn't a file version of that. Will the ATR version not work from the image space of MyIDE ?

Not for me. It crashes on side B.

I think the disk version of Summer Games might be 400/800 only.

- Steve Sheppard

Wrong... It was released in 1984.

Hmmm, I can't get this game to run UNLESS I use Omniview XE OS (which I understand to be 800 compatible).

Here is my system configuration:

NTSC [<-- edited] 800XL with internal MyIDE (with CF IDE module), 64K+192K extended (Wizztronics, RAMBO XL-type upgrade), SRAM w/ battery backup replacement for BASIC ROM, Super Video XL (up to 2.0 only and doesn't include composite video bypass switch).

Available OSes are QMEG OS+ 4.04, Omniview XE, MyIDE 4.2i, and Atari XL.

To reiterate, Summer Games will only run with Omniview XE OS.

Any insight would be appreciated.

- Steve Sheppard

p.s. There is a note at the bottom of the Summer Games title screen. It reads, "400/800 SWIMMING BY ARRBEE" which seems odd if this is truly a 1984 release.

Edited by a8isa1

The disk (pirated) copy I have always ran fine on the XL.

Chances are, someone else has pirated it at some stage and broken it.

As for a file version working - isn't it a double-sided disk original? Might (just) work on a 130XE with some compression applied. Although some work would be needed since it loads each event.

The disk (pirated) copy I have always ran fine on the XL.

Chances are, someone else has pirated it at some stage and broken it.

As for a file version working - isn't it a double-sided disk original? Might (just) work on a 130XE with some compression applied. Although some work would be needed since it loads each event.

OK. I'm making progress.

I gave Fletch's images a try. This version is different. The "400/800 Swimming by Arrbee" note has been replaced by "© Copyright 1984 Epyx, inc". There is only one disk swap where the other version had three disk swaps. More importantly the game runs. Via SIO2PC I can load the game with any of the four OSes I have in my 800XL.

I still can't use the images in MyIDE but then I just discovered I can't do any "disk swaps" at all. CTRL+SHIFT+drive image number doesn't seem to work. (Is this the reason why MyIDE OS 4.2 was so short lived, quickly being replaced by 4.3?)

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

Pointless to be file'ized... Might as well ask for a file'ized version of Alternate Reality... :lol:

Not saying it couldn't be done... But to file'ize a 128K cart you'ld be looking at running it on a machine that has more than 128K (am I wrong somehow on that fandal? :ponder:)...

File'izing the disk version has it's own issues too... Just ATR or CAR it on an emu, or run from disk or cart on the real deal...

Edited by dwhyte

Well,

I cannot comment on any pirated version of Summer Games, but my original disk version from Epyx did not run correct under QMEG-OS ! Under QMEG it could not keep track of who was the first, second, third, etc. in each event, resulting in random gold medals for anyone (and there were also some small graphic bugs). In events where you get points, it gave random points like 10.0, 7.0, 0.5, which normally never happens under the XL/XE OS. And of course in the end, the final result was a random one, funnily it did not show the players name, but just some garbage... So Summer Games and QMEG-OS, if you only want some fun and good laughs, give it a try, otherwise if you are out for high scores better use the XL/XE OS. Not sure what happens under other OS versions...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: My tested version of QMEG-OS was the latest official release 4.04 by Stefan Dorndorf (the author). No pirate polish hack or something... Besides, lots of polish games have a nice built-in "copy-protection" against QMEG-OS, if they find this OS they will go to Selftest or just do a coldstart (e.g. Jurassic Park 2, its even noted in the original manual)...