IGNORED

MaximumRD's Look at the Intellivision II!

FINALLY! Just uploaded to Youtube, coming in @ just under 8 minutes is my first full production I can actually say I am proud of (well at least compared to my first two videos) but now that I finally had some time and am getting the hang of making videos you can bet lots more are coming soon!

Please check it out and give me a rating and / or comment THANKS!!!!

and stay tuned for more!!!!!!

MaximumRD's Look at the Intellivision II!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Or if you are on Facebook check it out on the MaximumRD Facebook Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26887025879&ref=mf

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Nice review! Very comprehensive, and a very nice score. Also, first post, congrats on joining atariage.

Nathan

:D Thanks I plan on many more and including less well known or at least not the most common systems as they have been done to death.

I try to do my videos the way I would like to see them with a little back history, a good look at the system and lastly a little feel for what it was like playing it!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Good Job. I didn't realize the Intellivision II controllers were compatible with Atari controllers. Have you tried using an Atari controller to play Intellivision games or vice versa? (I picked up two Intellivision II's a while back, but never got either one to work; assume the 'chip that burns out' is burned out in both).

Welcome to AtariAge MaximumRD, glad to see you on the forums. You might recognize me as one of your subscribers and have posted a few comments on your videos. Good job on the reviews so far.

Most definitely sir than you! Between marriage and fulltime work I have so little time to do these things but I love it and I am striving to produce and supply content! Stick with me and I will do my best!

Good Job. I didn't realize the Intellivision II controllers were compatible with Atari controllers. Have you tried using an Atari controller to play Intellivision games or vice versa? (I picked up two Intellivision II's a while back, but never got either one to work; assume the 'chip that burns out' is burned out in both).

Sorry I didn't mean to imply they are definitely compatible, it's more of an assumption, if anyone can confirm? Of course even if movement was compatible you might be screwed without keypad input?....................

It was the System Changer, NOT the ECS, that allowed Intellivision owners to play Atari 2600 games on that system.

Uh DOH! Thanks for the correction! That is what I get going from memory!

I am fixing this right now as best I can, in Youtube I will add an Annotation that explains the error and on Facebook I added a comment as well!

I will be more careful in the future! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't mean to imply they are definitely compatible, it's more of an assumption, if anyone can confirm? Of course even if movement was compatible you might be screwed without keypad input?....................

They're not compatible, and I suspect that's part of the reason why the connectors are recessed as far as they are. You can (and indeed must) plug Atari controllers into the System Changer (which is basically an Atari in an Intellivision II-styled shell), but you can't use Atari controllers directly on an Intellivision.

The Intellivision II controllers use the same 9-pin wiring as the Intellivision 1 controllers, just with a different connector. (The Inty 1's controllers detach internally from the main board. They're not detachable externally, though.) The pinout is also the same as the Sears version's detachable controllers.

The Atari controllers are simple enough that it should be possible to make a really simple converter cable. There are four lines that correspond to N/S/E/W on the Inty's input. You could wire those directly to the Atari's lines for those directions. For the fire button, you'd have to decide which of the three action buttons you want to associate it with. There are three input wires on the Inty to indicate which action button's being pressed. Action buttons are indicated by pulling down a pair of lines, though. I'd suggest doing this through a couple diodes so you don't have a pin-to-pin short. Why?

This whole scheme would work best if it were set up as a Y cable, with the original controller on one side of the Y and the Atari-compatible controller on the other. The two can be wired in parallel. That way, if you need to use the keypad for some things (e.g. to navigate a menu), or there's some rarely used option on one of the action buttons you *haven't* mapped to fire button, then you can easily grab the original controller for those inputs. An example of the latter situation occurs in Beamrider: Most of the time you use one action button to shoot at the ships. At the end of the stage, though, you need to fire a different kind of missile at the stage boss, and that uses a different action button. That portion of the stage happens for just a short bit with plenty of time to switch controllers to handle it.