IGNORED

TUTORIAL: How to refurbish the Pro-Line joystick.

tryp

I just hooked up my 7800 for the first time in a couple years last night (lost the RF switchbox, made a cable to resolve that problem) and noticed that the joysticks were really loose. (due to the self-centering mechanism being nothing but a foam pad)

Anyway, I pulled them apart to see if I could fix them, which I did, and it was actually about a hundred times easier than I thought it was going to be.

I wrote a tutorial, with pictures, on this for anybody who might need help with this should they want to fix this problem.

How to restore your Atari 7800 Pro-Line Joystick

Hope this helps anybody who needs it!

Edited by tryp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well..its not like the foam ring is not replaceable.Better yet i just found the same foam and used the old ring as a pattern and cut out new rings.Thats a last resort if the rings are torn up.A piece of foam that releases the cross contact?that has got to be the saddest ,cheap ass,mickey mouse thing i have ever seen so far.

Edited by Rik

You don't even need to cut new ones.

Get any 50 disc CD-r or DVD+/-R spindle, preferably Verbatim brand.

Open proline stick and pull the original foam circle out.

replace it with the one on the top of the CD spindle.

they are the same size, and the CD-R spindle one is actually less squishy, so it re-centers quicker.

Close.

done.

You don't even need to cut new ones.

Get any 50 disc CD-r or DVD+/-R spindle, preferably Verbatim brand.

Open proline stick and pull the original foam circle out.

replace it with the one on the top of the CD spindle.

they are the same size, and the CD-R spindle one is actually less squishy, so it re-centers quicker.

Close.

done.

True,but as a collector,a huge part of the hobby for me is taking care,cleaning,repairing the hardware,software,so i dont mind making the rings,quite fun actually ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. All four of my Prolines have developed problems of one sort or another within the past couple of months. One I have would always go to the right, so I tried this and it worked. Also pushed in the contacts at the bottom of the PC board as a few of them, particularly the one that I suppose is for left, seemed a bit loose. Stick now works again, though it seems a bit stiff. (I guess this is how it was when new.)

• 1 month later...

You know, I never even thought about the CD-spindle foam ring..it's not like I don't have tons of those lying around here great idea! and as far as fixing the buttons, I'm not sure.. maybe the spring's wore out? try replacing that. My RF adapter for my 7800 went kaput so all my atari stuff is in a box somewhere right now, if i want to play atari, i just play the atari games on my good old-school FAT PS2 from the hard drive. Gotta love emulation.

And as far as the cigarette and dinner plate yeah.. i'd just eaten, i was smoking.. hell, had I not been out of marijuana at the time, you'd probably have seen a joint instead of a cig, since that's really the only time i smoke more than four cigs a day, when i'm out of pot.. ;P

Jesus.. a foam ring.. you'd think they'd have learned the controller self-centering mechanism was more important than that after the 5200 controller fiasco

never know.. one of these days I might decide to go try a full on mod and build my own custom self-centering mechanism for the pro-lines just for the hell of it. Probably not anytime soon though.

Edited by tryp

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody verify for me that replacing the foam with a hard, plastic ring performs well? I know that it was suggested, but does anybody have any testimonial? I am really digging these ProLine sticks (sounds like I'm one of the very few), but it's disconcerning how quickly their responsiveness changes, as the stick digs further and further into the foam (after having rotated them just a couple of days ago). I actually have two, new Verbatim spindles....that I recently opened. Predictably, I threw out those little rings...so, I'm SOL for a little while. :ponder: Anyhoo, any shared experience with that substitution would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.- Where did the original blog go? :(

Can anybody verify for me that replacing the foam with a hard, plastic ring performs well? I know that it was suggested, but does anybody have any testimonial? I am really digging these ProLine sticks (sounds like I'm one of the very few), but it's disconcerning how quickly their responsiveness changes, as the stick digs further and further into the foam (after having rotated them just a couple of days ago). I actually have two, new Verbatim spindles....that I recently opened. Predictably, I threw out those little rings...so, I'm SOL for a little while. :ponder: Anyhoo, any shared experience with that substitution would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.- Where did the original blog go? :(

Okay, I just re-read this post...LORDY, am I a MORON! Forget it....it was a foam ring on the CD-R's....AARRGG!

I am really digging these ProLine sticks (sounds like I'm one of the very few)

If you hold the PAIN-Line :x controller with two hands which I'm sure you do then one hand probably your left hand (if your a right handed person) will have the palm facing upwards as you hold the base of the pain-line :x controller. This keeps that wrist in an unnatural position, twisted for the entire time you play a 7800 game. I try not to think about it and just play, but after an hour or two I find myself holding the pain-line :x controller on it's side to return my wrist to it's normal position. I guess their OK but a tad bit uncomfortable, I will definitely buy the Europeon 7800 controllers when I have the cash.

:D

I am really digging these ProLine sticks (sounds like I'm one of the very few)

If you hold the PAIN-Line :x controller with two hands which I'm sure you do then one hand probably your left hand (if your a right handed person) will have the palm facing upwards as you hold the base of the pain-line :x controller. This keeps that wrist in an unnatural position, twisted for the entire time you play a 7800 game. I try not to think about it and just play, but after an hour or two I find myself holding the pain-line :x controller on it's side to return my wrist to it's normal position. I guess their OK but a tad bit uncomfortable, I will definitely buy the Europeon 7800 controllers when I have the cash.

:D

I'm right-handed, and my method is holding the base in my left hand with the stick facing my right. For games that just use 1 fire button, I use my middle finger....I have not experienced any pain...

Ahh, the stick facing the right, I see now - that would be good. Then that's what I was saying about holding the controller on it's side, that puts the stick in a horizontal position. That would be good for play as long as on-screen movements don't get confusing since the controller is no longer straight up. :)