IGNORED

Game Recommendations

gospeedde

I recently bought a PS3, my first system since the 2600, and am trying to figure out what type of games I might like on it. I'd appreciate any recommendations as to what I should try out. PS2 game recommendations (and PS1, I guess) are also welcome as I got an 80 and it is SUPPOSED to be at least somewhat backwards compatible (though it won't load Soul Caliber III even though the website says it should, boo).

I am, for some reason, very nervous about posting this question. Not sure why.

Anyhow, here is what I know that I like and don't like so that you guys can give me fantastic recommendations. I realize that I'm probably somewhat contradictory, but roll with me.

I tend to enjoy games that are intriguing and don't require extensive memorization of various button pushing combinations. I really like Folklore quite a bit (though the graphic-novel-like cut scenes are fairly obnoxious so I wasn't SURE I liked it until I got a few hours into it). I really enjoy the story (which is getting pretty dark) and the gameplay in the underworld. I also like yanking out the spirits by yanking on the controller and having to use the drawings you find to figure out what creature to use to fight the bosses. The only other game for the system that I know I love is Soul Caliber IV (except for the story mode because, um, there's no story). I am really pleased with the custom character design, but mostly I love the game because it is the only fighting game that I can not only play but actually improve at over time.

I hate Tekken because I can't play it and the longer I try the worse I get. Life is frustrating enough without spending hours playing a game you suck at. I also tried Metal Gear Solid and hated it. Granted, I only got about an hour into the game before I gave up, and in that time I only managed to watch a bunch of cut scenes, crawl under a truck, watch a bunch more cut scenes, get stuck in an alley because I couldn't figure out how to jump, die, and watch more cut scenes. I was not pleased. Also, I tend to suck at shooters and driving games because apparently I can't aim or steer.

As far as games for other systems go, I don't know very many and I've only played those at my friends' houses. However, I do know that I really like some of the Zelda games, some of the Final Fantasy games, and I'm a big fan of Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mr. Nutz (which I mostly like watching other people play because it is too hard for me).

Any even remotely plausible suggestions would be appreciated. I can then rent them and check them out. Now I'm just randomly pulling things off the shelf and largely being disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, welcome to the 21st century, hope you slept well!

Resistance: Fall Of Man and Siren are good choices. I'm not into these games, but Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted are good games.

Also watch out for Resistance 2. Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider: Underworld. Street Fighter IV, Aliens: Colonial Marines soon! DooM 4 may also arrive....sometime.

For the PS2 I reccomend Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Resident Evil 4, ICO, Shadow Of The Colussus, Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary. I don't like many of the most famous PS2 games like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy X and XII but feel free to search about them.

For the PS1 I reccomend DooM, Quake 2, Alien Trilogy, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3, Tomb Raider series and if you like them, the Final Fantasy games I-IX are solid RPGs.

I think one of the funnest games on the PS3 is Eye of Judgement.

If you have someone else to play with, it's a hoot!! I play local Vs with my girlfriend and we both LOVE it.

Plus it's makes getting stocking stuffers a cinch (booster packs!!)

I haven't tried it online yet.