IGNORED

First Time 7800 queston please be gentle....

atreyu187

So I have never seen a 7800 in my life and the last time I had a 2600 I was like 5. Now I owned a Lynx and Jaguar as soon as they came out as I couldn't afford a Game Gear or a 3DO back in the day. Besides I have always liked being able to play games that no one else can and rooting for the underdog, as I am a underdog myself. Well since selling all my "modern" consoles I went back to my childhood and got all the consoles I wanted like a Jaguar & Lynx as I missed them, and even a PC Engine as I always wanted one of those.

Well I came here as a Jaguar fan and a place to find some people like myself as I either get Jaguar WTF is that?? Or are you kidding me there is a reason they didn't stick around NO GOOD GAMES!! Which for those of us that aren't ignorant GFX whores we know this wasn't correct by a LONG shot and I finally found a place to share my love of the Jaguar/Lynx!! Well I didn't know the Lynx/Jaguar still had a thriving homebrew scene, and might I add one of the most supported also. Well seeing as the other consoles like the 2600, 7800 etc. still have people breathing life into them I want to play some old favorites and some gems I haven't ever played before. So I am trying to find out what I need to buy....

So here we go a few questions and some things I am not to sure of.

1- The 7800 is backwards compatible correct??

2- Now is that is only for the 2600 and not the 5200 correct??

3- And the 5200 isn't backwards compatible at all with the 2600 games or is it just not all there?

4- Is there any controller mods as that circular thing doesn't look to be much fun....

5- Can I use any other the cool accessories that the 2600 had or is it limited to just games being backwards compatible? As from what I understand there wasn't very many different add-ons like a lightgun was the only one I can see. And those joysticks were fun :lol:

So that might be it. See I really want to play 2600 games but the idea of a whole new library (7800) intrigues me as well. If I can have my cake and eat it to so be it right? But if the 2600 isn't really all there I will pass on a 7800 for the time being. Also what is the best 7800 model?? I know this is confusing but it is to me as well as I am a first timer when it comes to the older ones so please be gentle. And i have used the search button but no topics really address's all of my questions at once and I get lost trying to figure it all out. So is it a good thing to play 2600 on a 7800 or should I stick with the 2600 for the time being???

Only with 2600 games, basically 99% of them anyway. One of the games you may not be able to play is Robot

Tank but it depends on which version of the 7800 you have. My copy works fine, some others aren't that lucky. Games made by Tigervision won't fit either. I have Polaris and can't play it. I read somewhere but I don't remember where, a list of the different serial numbers for each revision of the system and what they could and couldn't play. Try googling it. In the long run, the number of games not backwards-compatible is so small it's a non-issue.

Correct

3- And the 5200 isn't backwards compatible at all with the 2600 games or is it just not all there?

Cartridge is a different size. Physically impossible.

4- Is there any controller mods as that circular thing doesn't look to be much fun....

You can use any 2600 compatible controller. I recommend the CX-40 (standard 2600 stick) unless you're playing something that requires 2 buttons, in which case the Joypads made by Atari seem like the best choice. You can sometimes find them on Ebay but they always go for more than most controllers. A lot of people swear by the Sega Genesis controller, I haven't personally used it.

5- Can I use any other the cool accessories that the 2600 had or is it limited to just games being backwards compatible? As from what I understand there wasn't very many different add-ons like a lightgun was the only one I can see. And those joysticks were fun

As far as I know, anything that plugs into the controller port is fair game. I have a 6-cartridge switcher that plugs into the cartridge slot and lets you have 6 seperate carts plugged in at once, selectable by a switch. It works great on my 2600, but doesn't fit my 7800.

To sum it up, get it. :thumbsup:

Edited by DarthCalvin

Dude that is it I am getting one!!! And did I hear that right I can use my beloved Genny pad!!! As soon as Axe gets back I am buying one asap instead of waitng as 99% of the 2600 library and 100% of the 7800 sounds better than just 100% of the 2600 games!!! Thanks man you have been most knowledgeable and this is why I am growing found of Atari not just the love by the homebrew scene I don't get knocked for asking a general question like another forums I will leave nameless as I am bigger than that!!! This is for you bud :thankyou: :thumbsup: Now to pre-order that Terrance and Phillips Asses in Space :lol:

5- Can I use any other the cool accessories that the 2600 had or is it limited to just games being backwards compatible? As from what I understand there wasn't very many different add-ons like a lightgun was the only one I can see. And those joysticks were fun :lol:

1. Yes

2. Yes, just the 2600

3. You can get a 2600 converter for the 5200

4. Circular thing???

5. Yes

You're quite welcome. I just plugged a Sega pad into my 7800 and yes, it works fine. After you get your system, or before then if you're emulating, you should come check out the high score club. The next season starts 9/3 for the 2600. Best of luck.

Edited by DarthCalvin

5- Can I use any other the cool accessories that the 2600 had or is it limited to just games being backwards compatible? As from what I understand there wasn't very many different add-ons like a lightgun was the only one I can see. And those joysticks were fun icon_lol.gif

1- yes.

2- Correct.

3- you can get an adapter to play 2600 game son the 5200 afaik but not the other way around.

4- not sure what circular thing you mean. The stock joysticks for the 7800 will cramp most peoples' hands, though.

5- the lightgun is nice tohave if you have a game for it and NO HD tv to play it on (don't work). You can get modded NES controllers to work with the 7800 or use Sega controllers. A member here, doubledownon11, custom made some NES pad circuitboards and rebadged it and it is a sweet thing.

So there are options, and it's a fun system to collect for. Also, people are making new games like you said, and they're great fun.

To sum it up, get it. icon_thumbsup.gif

Yes!

You can get an adaptor that allows you to play 2600 games on a 5200 ATA52ACC0007L.gif but in reality it is a 2600 that gets its power from the 5200, and it makes an over sized system even larger.(you have to use 2600 joysticks to play 2600 games and try and get a working 5200 controller for 5200 games!)

7800 is 2600 compatible out of the box :D You can use any 2600 joystick for the one button games (which is most of them) you can also get the European 7800 joypad for 2 button games if you wishATA78CON0003LX.gif

Like many on these forums it is my favorite system and gets the most use, especially with all the cool home brews that are available.

If you can find one, and you have the cash to invest it may be worth searching for an AV moded console for crisp clear s-video.(look up the Longhorn Engineer)

A couple of useful links for you

Atari 2600.com

Atari 7800.com

Best Electronics

Cousin Vinnie's Atari 7800 Panoramic Froo Froo

Atari 7800 FAQ

Edited by mimo

I like using my joypad. :ponder: Hmm, that doesn't sound right does it? LOL

But truly they are my favorite controller for the 7800 although I tried a Sega one last weekend and it worked pretty well. :)

Sounds better from a woman :cool:

Dude that is it I am getting one!!! And did I hear that right I can use my beloved Genny pad!!! As soon as Axe gets back I am buying one asap instead of waitng as 99% of the 2600 library and 100% of the 7800 sounds better than just 100% of the 2600 games!!! Thanks man you have been most knowledgeable and this is why I am growing found of Atari not just the love by the homebrew scene I don't get knocked for asking a general question like another forums I will leave nameless as I am bigger than that!!! This is for you bud :thankyou: :thumbsup: Now to pre-order that Terrance and Phillips Asses in Space :lol:

You can use the Genesis pad on the 7800, but if I remember correctly, only one of the fire buttons will work (the B button, at least on the six button pad), so it's only recommended for 2600 games. I may be wrong here, as my whole Atari cartridge library is currently limited to 2600 games (I don't know what happened to the few 7800 carts I had, they disappeared years ago, so I can't test it right now...) But yeah, you can use the Genesis pad on the 7800, and even the 2600.

You can use the Genesis pad on the 7800, but if I remember correctly, only one of the fire buttons will work (the B button, at least on the six button pad), so it's only recommended for 2600 games. I may be wrong here, as my whole Atari cartridge library is currently limited to 2600 games (I don't know what happened to the few 7800 carts I had, they disappeared years ago, so I can't test it right now...) But yeah, you can use the Genesis pad on the 7800, and even the 2600.

Unfortunately he's right, forgot to mention that earlier. However, like someone else said, most of the games you will own will only use one button

Unfortunately he's right, forgot to mention that earlier. However, like someone else said, most of the games you will own will only use one button

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can easily make an adaptor. All it takes is two resistors, two transistors, male and female DB-9 connectors, a little wiring and a housing. All are obtainable at Radio Shack. For the housing I did a home-job. The schematics are on this site somewhere. Super easy. You'll have the B and C buttons at your disposal (or "A" and "Start" if you want to be different). A Sega arcade stick makes the set-up even sweeter.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can easily make an adaptor. All it takes is two resistors, two transistors, male and female DB-9 connectors, a little wiring and a housing. All are obtainable at Radio Shack. For the housing I did a home-job. The schematics are on this site somewhere. Super easy. You'll have the B and C buttons at your disposal (or "A" and "Start" if you want to be different). A Sega arcade stick makes the set-up even sweeter.

haha.. housing is easy.. use a power brick from an old laptop.. those work for housings for many different things..(like a Genesis pad->PC parallel port adapter :cool: )

or if you don't have one of those, i'm sure you can find something similar lying around... be creative!

post-21126-1219936042_thumb.jpg

LOL you guys. :) I was just going to post as well.

It's my favorite system and I would pick up every one of Pacmanplus's 7800 games you can get your hands on. You won't be disappointed imo.

PMP's games are the #1 reason I picked up a 7800! I own all his titles and Space Invaders will be here any day also!

The 7800 is a great system as long as you use either a classic 2600 controller or a Genesis pad. The stock controllers are just God awful IMHO.

I do plan on purchasing some of the NES style controllers for it soon that are for sale at Best Electronics.

If you're interested in playing Tiger games on a 7800, there are ways to mod the system and ways to mod the carts (without damaging said carts) to work on the 7800. I have Miner 2049er, but I have not got around to modding it. I modded the system instead. I also have Jawbreaker, which works straight out of the box.

What kind of system mod are we talking about? Permanent?

Yes, the system mod is permanent. You have to cut up the sleeve that goes around the port. When you're done, it is not noticeable just by looking at the system, though.

Modding the carts can be reversed, but you do have to remove the labels, then re apply them. It's not hard to get labels off intact, but removing a label from a rare game is not for the faint of heart.

Yes, the system mod is permanent. You have to cut up the sleeve that goes around the port. When you're done, it is not noticeable just by looking at the system, though.

Modding the carts can be reversed, but you do have to remove the labels, then re apply them. It's not hard to get labels off intact, but removing a label from a rare game is not for the faint of heart.

The words "cut" and "system" in the same sentence, when referring to mine, is not for the faint of heart! :)