IGNORED

Dr. Mario - Season 4 Week 5

vdub_bobby

From cute little ninjas to cute little germs - it's time to play Dr. Mario!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point. No continues - only games played from the beginning count! Play Virus Level 1, speed Medium - those are the defaults

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. UPDATE: jtay attached it below. Thanks!

This week's competition ends in a week on Wednesday (September 3rd) at approximately noon PST.

This week's scores:

135,600 atari2600land (+10 pts)

77,200 darthkur (+8 pts)

22,000 RJ (+6 pts)

4,400 Wickeycolumbus (+4 pts)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

451,000 Josh Taylor

430,200 Nik Meeks

427,600 David R Archey

354,800 Brian P Sulpher

238,000 Patrick Scott Patterson

222,400 Ben J Zaugg

221,400 Adam Sweeney

171,200 Steve Germershausen

134,000 Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

Standings

1. darkthur (28 pts)

1. Wickeycolumbus (28 pts)

3. vdub_bobby (15 pts)

4. LarcenTyler (12 pts)

5. RJ (8 pts)

6. Shannon (4 pts)

6. Jibbajaba (4 pts)

Game Info

Originally released by Nintendo in 1990.

Other platforms: Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, SNES

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES, 1994), Dr. Mario 64 (N64, 2001), etc.

Tips

jtay:

The main tip I can leave you with would be that combos are key. On the lower levels, it pays to go out of your way to get multi-virus combos, since you will probably be more focused on not losing when you get to the higher levels.

Also, the game has predefined virus and pill sets. This means that if you reset the game a few times you can eventually get a set of viruses that you've seen before. (When I say a "set of viruses" I mean all the viruses in all the levels, not each individual level). Take note of the arrangement of viruses on level 0, so if you find it easy to get a good score on one virus set, you can find that set again pretty quickly (by resetting and viewing level 0 multiple times).

*NOTE: A+B+Start+Select = Reset. This way you don't have to walk over to your console and press the button every time you want to reset.

I would suggest that you get used to destroying viruses from the side as well as from the top. This can make combos easier to produce, and practicing making combos in general will definitely help as well.

Edited by vdub_bobby

All right! Just picked up this cart last week & lots of time to play this weekend!

Good Lord this game is addictive!!! I went downstrs last night around 11pm to play. Next time I checked the clock it was THREE F-ING A.M.

This is an ideal example of "just 1 more time" & how a game should be. Not in the game itself or its gameplay, but you start playing & learn/use techniques & develop strats. that get you farther & farther. Every 3-5 or so tries I got better & better & my high scores grew & grew. It keeps you coming back & replayability is the sign of a great game.

After lev 5 I saw a little cartoon w/ 3 creatures sitting on top of a tree on a hill, w/ a congratulatory mssg in the sky, then a book flew by (?) I'd been playing so long I thought I was seeing things. I didnt dream about pills falling into a bottle though.

I'm really glad I bought this game. The wife can play it too!

Edited by RJ

451,000 Josh Taylor <--that's me

Hello, everyone. I was searching Google for some leader boards with higher scores I should attempt to beat, and I found your forum. I figured I'd drop in and give you some tips. First, you should know that the scores at Twin Galaxies are very outdated. For some reason there's not a lot of competition on this title even though it was a pretty popular game back in the day. So with a little practice, my records should be a cinch to beat.

The main tip I can leave you with would be that combos are key. On the lower levels, it pays to go out of your way to get multi-virus combos, since you will probably be more focused on not losing when you get to the higher levels.

Also, the game has predefined virus and pill sets. This means that if you reset the game a few times you can eventually get a set of viruses that you've seen before. (When I say a "set of viruses" I mean all the viruses in all the levels, not each individual level). Take note of the arrangement of viruses on level 0, so if you find it easy to get a good score on one virus set, you can find that set again pretty quickly (by resetting and viewing level 0 multiple times).

*NOTE: A+B+Start+Select = Reset. This way you don't have to walk over to your console and press the button every time you want to reset.

I would suggest that you get used to destroying viruses from the side as well as from the top. This can make combos easier to produce, and practicing making combos in general will definitely help as well.

Lastly, here's the instruction manual if you want to take a look:

DrMario.pdf

(You can find many other manuals like this one at Vimm.net)

Happy gaming everyone!