IGNORED

Contemplating on getting a Didj

atari2600land

Yes, I know it's for kids, but it has Sonic and SpongeBob on it! (it'd be an interesting addition to my SpongeBob Squarepants stuff collection.) How is LeapFrog's sales with this thing so far? Anyone know yet? The thing that's making me contemplate is the $90 price tag. (I suck at video games, so it'd be kinda nice to be able to beat a Sonic game, even if it's cheating by playing a kiddy game and knowing how to spell. ;))

I actually just looked at these yesterday. I ended up getting a Leapster for my 4 year old instead. The Didj was just too advanced for her imho.

However, the Didj is an interesting handheld. It seems to really be trying to find the middle ground between a DS and the Leapster. Problem is, once kids are really old enough for the Didj, their friends are all playing the DS. I did play the Star Wars: Clone Wars game for a bit, and it was actually pretty fun, and graphically on par with a DS game.

• 1 year later...

Just snatched up the DiDj at Wal mart for 18 bux. Tomorrow(today) going to research the homebrew scene on this device. Thus far, sounds like it is almost on par with the GP32 Wiz...which has a good following for hacks and homebrew. Would love to be able to find a emulator for Atari for this device...and make this an Atari handheld!

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy's son has one and I think it is a really good system. Well developed and professionally done. Might even find it's own niche in the portable market if there's more software developed with characters that kids want to play like Star Wars, Sonic, Sponge Bob, etc. I think the neatest thing about the system is when you play certain games you get points and the points can be used to get stuff on-line at the Didj website. His Mom has downloaded extra characters from the website for the game that is included on the system, Jetpack Hero is the game's name I think. He likes it. I have seen the Sonic Game, looks just like the original but with educational word questions at certain points in the levels. Fairly good graphics too for a portable educational system. I don't know how long it will last though, I've seen the games going for lower prices and $18.00 for a Didj at Wal-Mart does not sound like a survivor to me. Wish I'd found it for that price before I got it for him for $80 at Toys R Us! :x

Rich

P.S. There's a homebrew scene for this already?

• 4 years later...

Small update. I bought the Didj shortly after I started this thread. Right now three games came in the mail, and I now have a complete CIB Didj collection. Now, let's start coming on with homebrews! (I would, but there's no software to help me like there is for the DS. Someone needs to make a Didj game maker software program, like the DS Game Maker does!) I know, it's not really that hard to do when there's 15 games, but it took forever for some reason. I have an extra SuperChicks in case someone wants to buy it from me.

Small update. I bought the Didj shortly after I started this thread. Right now three games came in the mail, and I now have a complete CIB Didj collection. Now, let's start coming on with homebrews! (I would, but there's no software to help me like there is for the DS. Someone needs to make a Didj game maker software program, like the DS Game Maker does!) I know, it's not really that hard to do when there's 15 games, but it took forever for some reason. I have an extra SuperChicks in case someone wants to buy it from me.

Looks cool,might have to pick me one up for cheap.Anyway I found a GBA emulator that works with them:http://hackaday.com/2010/08/12/gba-emulator-ported-to-didj/