IGNORED

Adventure Vision for sale for a mere $60 bucks

lance_miller

Where were these sold back in the day, KayBee toys or Hills or something ? Thanks

According to the site linked above J.C. Penny's was at least one place they were available. See the picture below. You can barely make out the store name on the price tag.

I never knew these things existed back then. I would've definitely got one if I did. Now the only way I'll ever have one is if I stumble across one at a yard sale/thrift shop. There's no way I could ever afford the insane "evil-bay" prices.

AdventureVision-pricetag.jpg

Edited by darthkur

This tag is kewl. I' m wondering if the number above the price is like a UPC code or if it refers to a serial number or inventory number(that would help determine how many JC Penny actually sold). I heard that the number USA wide was very low. How often does someone come across one of these out there?

Would it be worth posting online ads in the various Craigslist cities to try to source one?

I already heard on several chat rooms that this one from Canada is the real deal. but here' the kicker . It powers up for about 30 seconds and then freezes, no wonder the low price.

I already heard on several chat rooms that this one from Canada is the real deal. but here' the kicker . It powers up for about 30 seconds and then freezes, no wonder the low price.

How wonderful that the seller left out that minor little detail in his ad. I had sent him two replies but never got any response. The ad was removed later that night (Sept 1st). I would've been furious to receive it and find it broken. I don't imagine such a fragile device, with the rotating mirror and all, would be very easy to repair.

Lance, I've been wondering, why did you not try to obtain it in the first place instead of posting it on here? Would the seller not ship it anywhere or were you already aware of the defective status at the time?

Valid question Darthfur and one that I've been kicking myself since. It'a just that as Kijiji constantly reminds its users "do business in person only"

Here's a direct quote from theri website:

<Begin>

Important Safety Warning:

Avoid fraud by meeting all sellers in-person to pay for items. Kijiji does not offer any transaction or payment services.

Read safety tips | Discussion

Report illegal/infringing Ad

Close

Your Email Address:

Reported Ad ID Number:

Reason for Reporting Ad:

Submit Report | Cancel

<over and out>

So I didn't have enough guts to chance sending money across a border when it was already STRONGLY discouraged. Maybe I can make enough money from my extra paper routes to buy one if I can find one cheap on Ebay, or maybe get one as a gift.

I talked to a guy on line who has worked on these things and he said the fact that it powered up at all and worked for a while was an excellent sign. He said there's like a 90% chance that the problem is from thermal expansion, and resetting/soldering the electronics should fix it.

Perhaps maybe an expert here can comment?

I guess the bigger question here is even if you knew that it was semi-working in box, would you people still have bought it?

This tag is kewl. I' m wondering if the number above the price is like a UPC code or if it refers to a serial number or inventory number(that would help determine how many JC Penny actually sold). I heard that the number USA wide was very low. How often does someone come across one of these out there?

Would it be worth posting online ads in the various Craigslist cities to try to source one?

I used to work at Sears in the 80s and that is the Optical Character Recognition OCR type style. I remember using the old red laser wands to scan the item number and price when ringing up merchandise.

It looks like that number stands for Department 65, item # 24141. That's probably JCPenney's internal tracking number and not related to any item# the manufacturer would have used. It is not related to sales data.

Edited by videogamesbook