IGNORED

Colecovision miner 2049'er

fiddlepaddle

I've been playing around with my Colecovision lately and, finally fed up with using the standard controller, got my super action controller out of the box it's been in for 20 years because it wouldn't go "up" and took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and put conditioner on them and... it works GREAT. The problem now is that I've been playing Miner 2049'er and (I'm not as spry in my gaming as I used to be) can't get past the third screen. I've looked for a cheat for this game but haven't found one. It must exist! Anybody know how to get to higher levels (without being Mr. Supergameplayer)?

the atari 8bit version has a cheat (type in the Big5 telephone number) and you can select start level. Was this ported over to the CV?

I doubt it. I think the CV version is the only one programmed by somebody other than Bill Hogue hence the different order of screens and slightly different graphics.

I like the CV version better than the A8 versions but man is it hard. The A8 versions are much easier.

the atari 8bit version has a cheat (type in the Big5 telephone number) and you can select start level. Was this ported over to the CV?
I doubt it. I think the CV version is the only one programmed by somebody other than Bill Hogue hence the different order of screens and slightly different graphics.

"Slightly different"? Some of the screens are just complete originals for the CV version, with no counterparts on any other version, which also includes the 11th screen.

According to the game's credits, Mike Livesay programmed the CV version.

And as far as I know, I haven't found any level skip cheat codes for this version, which is part of why I hate it.

took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and put conditioner on them and... it works GREAT.

"Conditioner"?

I first use 91% alcohol to clean off the contacts, sometimes even an eraser if necessary. Once the contact is clean, I then use "Caig Laboratories DeoxIT® GOLD G5 Spray" (formerly "Caig Pro-Gold", even more formerly "Caig R5 Power Booster". This product works miracles, and is better than the several other "contact conditioners" I've tried over the years. The company keeps changing the name and the type of container it comes in, and it's hard to find in stores. I have found it at Fry's Electronics, Microcenter (sometimes), and some other speciality electronics stores in Santa Clara County, California. Couldn't find it in Oregon or Ohio.

Here is an interview with Mike Livesay, the Colecovision programmer that I thought was kind of interesting, but he doesn't say much about stuff he did to make it easier to debug.

http://miner2049er.classicgaming.gamespy.c...ikelivesay.html

I tried entering the phone number (213 782 6861) like the Atari 400/800 version cheat in combination with other various keys and buttons, but I couldn't get it to go to any other levels. I did get it to disable the sounds by pressing 12345678 and waiting a few seconds...don't know if that is a test sequence or what...