IGNORED

It's official. I'm an eBay moron magnet.

ianoid

Not that I expected anything less from the official eBay stance, but here goes:

Dear Ian,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your Feedback issue with

cesar0017 for item number 150284506384. I understand that you want the

negative feedback removed and am sorry for the inconvenience this

transaction has caused.

Our members rely on feedback to evaluate other members, so we can't

remove feedback unless it violates our policies. I sincerely want to

help you remove the feedback however, after a thorough review, it was

determined that the comment doesn't qualify for removal.

eBay rarely removes Feedback comments because there are very strict

guidelines about when comments may be removed. To qualify for Feedback

removal, a comment must be considered Feedback abuse and must meet

specific criteria. We recommend reading more about this policy so that

you can learn what qualifies as Feedback abuse. Please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedba...withdrawal.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

Ian, I recommend that you write a response to the feedback comment that

will show up directly underneath the feedback you received. Remember

that the way you respond to comments you think are unfair or untrue can

say a lot about you, too. As long as you remain factual, calm, and

professional, your comment will probably seem much more credible than

the feedback that was left for you.

To leave a reply:

1. Click the "Site Map" link located at the top of most eBay pages.

2. Click the "Reply to Feedback Received" link. You may be asked to sign

in.

3. Find the feedback left for you and select the "Reply" button.

4. Type in your reply and select the "Leave Reply" button.

Fortunately, your Feedback percentage will only reflect your last 12

months of feedback so any negative feedback older than 12 months will

not impact your Positive Feedback percentage.

To provide you with the best assistance possible, I have searched for

links that can help you avoid inappropriate Feedback. You can also

familiarize yourself with eBay's Feedback policies and increase your

success with eBay transactions.

To help you protect your reputation on eBay, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback.html

For some examples of well-defined best practices in using Feedback,

please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/feedback.html

If you discover that a member with a questionable history has bid on

your item, cancel the bid and politely ask that bidder not to bid on any

of your listings again. To cancel a bid, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel_bids.html

To block untrustworthy buyers from bidding on your items, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/block_bidders.html

For more information on Buyer Requirements, please go to: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

To read our tips for eBay members, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/overview.html

Ian, I regret that I cannot grant your request. Thank you for using eBay

for your online trading needs.

Sincerely,

Martel

eBay Customer Support

eBay

Your Personal Trading Community

----

Clearly the words 'personal' and 'community' are used very loosely. Maybe they think, 'if we say it enough it will be true'.

True, but do you really think it is a big deal?

As a matter of principle regarding ebay, yes I do.

Thing is, there are way to many people on ebay who have the mistaken notion that it's all about them and what they want (buyers and sellers alike). I have no patience for any of them, or anyone who even remotely seems like they might be one of them. I mean, if you try hard enough, you can almost read some level of feedback extortion into that.

Now, I'm not saying the OP is like this (from what I can see he's not), but if I had gotten that kind of an email, I'd sure be pondering that possiblity.

and it is certainly no reason to leave a negative feedback

No, especialy when it's a distoraton of the truth. "forced me...or else...". Not what happened, so that was excessive.

Had it been me, I WOULD have left an honest "neutral" that simply said seller had asked for positive feedback.

Again, and sorry; but asking for feedback just doesn't give a good impression, and make one (me anyways) start wondering why they did, regardless of how innocent it might have been.

Sorry but Ebay RECOMMENDS asking for positive feedback from buyers in their seller help forums. If you left a neutral under the circumstances mentioned by Ianoid, he could have that neutral removed. :ponder:

That said it would seem ebay does not back up their own recommendations. I would dig through the ebay forum on this subject. Cut and paste it to your ebay rep. See what they do with that. Probably nothing as ebay hates sellers. They are certainly killing what was a good thing.

Edited by atarian63

What Ianoid done was nothing compared to this seller,he even sends cards demanding not only positive feedback but also a 5 star rating :rolling: ,

FYI, these were suggestions from ebay in order to deal with the New/bad feedback system and DSR system they created. It's not working.

They found the system was so one sided that even their best sellers would get removed from ebay under the new system. So.. rather than fix the system, they want sellers to beg for feedback and 5 star DSR's.

i'll never sell on ebay ever again, after all, how many times do you need to be slapped in the face to see they don't care. yet people still go back. :roll:

i don't even buy that much anymore, most of my buying on ebay is for other people. (friends)

i still would recommend you leave out the word "positive" or better yet use another selling site.

as they say in smash tv: good luck, you'll need it!

Rick

The way eBay has stacked the deck, a seller's only choice is to leave feedback first, like they intend.

Asking for feedback is fine, but it was the "you first" that caused the neg.

Buying feedback is meaningless anyway, so just bite the bullet and leave it. (Not for this clown, though!)

EXCEPT - aren't they about to change it so buyers can MODIFY feedback once they are satisfied? When is that going down? (What a giant can of worms that's going to open!)

Fact is, I just have too much stuff that is not video games to sell. There aren't many other outlets for me. And I don't have time to relist stuff indefinitely. I need to maintain some level of turnaround with my crap or I'll be buried.

I just don't think that "I'll leave after you leave" is asking much, and it certainly doesn't deserve a neg or neutral when you get the item fast (he sent an MO, check the time for this transaction) and are happy with it. Frankly I could have said "yo momma wears combat boots in the shower" and I still don't think it would deserve a negative.

ebay AND the buyers have recently become quite ridiculous. After Oct. 1st I am done selling on ebay. Chuckwagon will be getting all my business... if it means less exposure, who cares, I honestly didn't start selling on ebay to make my million and I hopefully can just sell stuff online in my spare time when i get extra stuff.

sorry to hear about your frustration Ian, but ALL people who do large quantities deal with their share of idiots, the number one being Ebay itself. I would, as advised, go through the forums and find the info that ebay states you should ask for positive feedback and email it to that rep.

If it makes you feel any better, I am on your side 110%. The guy is mosdef a nutcase and should be committed.

on a side note:

One thing I HATE is when a buyer leaves me positive and I don't get around to leaving positive back for a few days and they start sending me nasty messages as to why I haven't left the positive yet. Chill people, I understand feedback is important but my life is more important then your ebay number.

All I leave now for positive feedback is "Thanks!" If I buy something I get a little more detailed, but beyond that I could give less of a shit.

Josh

All I know is I was taught by my parents and other adults at the time that asking for thanks or apperication was rude, and would have gotten smacked for doing so.

Not anymore, huh. Guess I'll attribute this to the ever shifting & changing sense of morals & ethics that seems to occure every generation.

All I know is I was taught by my parents and other adults at the time that asking for thanks or apperication was rude, and would have gotten smacked for doing so.

Not anymore, huh. Guess I'll attribute this to the ever shifting & changing sense of morals & ethics that seems to occure every generation.

It is quite a stretch to link asking for feedback on ebay with the world's shifting ethics and morals. There is nothing unethical or immoral about requesting feedback on ebay, and if ebay existed 50 years ago, it wouldn't have been considered unethical or immoral then either.

It is a far cry from asking for thanks or appreciation. It is just a reminder to use the feedback system that Ebay themselves intends to be used on every transaction.

So...

Asking for praise = Rude.

Smacking children = Not rude.

Is that really your position?

So I guess I'm supposed to beat my children and then tell them to thank me for it? :rolling: That's awesome!!! :cool:

So...

So I guess I'm supposed to beat my children and then tell them to thank me for it? :rolling: That's awesome!!! :cool:

Smack em like a bitch!

Ian, you are whining too much..

Did the guy pay timely? Then his job is done, leave the feedback...

You would have neged him in a heartbeat had he not paid.

Simple, guy pays, leave feedback, he gets item as described, he leaves feedback. Transaction done. Sellers should quit holding feedback hostage and expect positive feedback....

Simple, guy pays, leave feedback, he gets item as described, he leaves feedback. Transaction done. Sellers should quit holding feedback hostage and expect positive feedback....

I don't sell on ebay, but I do know that Sellers can't leave negatives anymore.

I don't like people holding feedback hostage either, but still he didn't deserve a negative in my opinion.

Uh, pretty sure spanking is, was anyways before it apparently became illegal, was a common method parents used to punish their kids for doing something wrong. :roll:

First off, I never neg anyone, except in the past when I got messed up negs like this. Nobody with at least one hemisphere negs me.

You clearly are not a seller. And by that I mean shortsighted.

I'm not out to convince anyone that this guy is an idiot for negging me. That is a simple fact.

What the duce??? Are you the one that neg Ian. You sure do think like him. Some sellers take pride in their dealing, Like me. I sale a lot on ebay. I have one Neg by some moron who didn't contact me when he had a problem. ( I would have worked it out or given him a full refund including postage, but he never contacted me.) I have over 800 positives and I take pride in my transactions. Now Ian has a blemish, not warranted. I would be pissed too. The buyer got item as described with fast shipping and he gave a negative, so that's ok? Jesus. HHW

I can see the merits of both sides of this argument. As someone who buys a lot on Ebay and only occasionally sells, I too have been very irritated recently by sellers who wait until I give them a positive to give me one. As far as I'm concerned, if I pay timely (which I always do, often immediately after the auction), I should receive a positive right away. Even if I have to return the item down the road because the seller misrepresented it, that should have no impact on the fact that I paid immediately and completed the transaction in good faith.

In this particular case, this buyer overreacted. I also agree that even a single negative can have a huge impact on a seller since I often will not buy from someone that has a recent negative and I know it impacts the overall prices things will sell for. Having said that, I don't think it was appropriate to make positive feedback for the buyer contingent on him leaving it for the seller. I think it's ok to say something like "I will ship your item out tomorrow and I left positive feedback for you, so when you receive the item, if you could please leave positive feedback for me, I would appreciate it." Going beyond that and insisting that positive feedback will only be left once a buyer leaves positive feedback is not appropriate and is rude, frankly, even though I don't believe it rises to the level of justifying a negative.

Uh, pretty sure spanking is, was anyways before it apparently became illegal, was a common method parents used to punish their kids for doing something wrong. :roll:

yeah you shouldn't hit your kids. ever.

spanking, slapping, a child is wrong wrong wrong.

why would you roll your eyes at that?

spanking, slapping, a child is wrong wrong wrong.

why would you roll your eyes at that?

Because that's the way parents have been disciplining their kids since the beginning of time, and has worked just fine.

This whole anti corporal punishment fluffy clouds garbage which has only really come about strongly in the last few generations is just new wave bullshit that doesn't teach kids anything except there is no cost to be paid for being a miserable rotten snot nosed little bastard.

Billy: <sets neighbors cat on fire>

Parents: <shakes finger at Billy> Now now young man, what you did is wrong. No desert after dinner tonight for you.

I reiterate: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Suggestion:

"Thanks for doing business with us at Ianoid's. Let us know how we did!" That might not seem so forward as saying "Please leave me some positive feedback."

I've only sold one thing on ebay, ever, though, so I'm definitely not the expert.

As for the kids, if what they do warrants it, you beat 'em senseless. Within reason, that is--you swat 'em on the butt but you don't go upside their head with a baseball bat.