IGNORED

video - ColecoVision unreleased stuff 1

newcoleco

I did a video montage with unreleased ColecoVision stuff, with a computer generated voice, and this is the result.

ColecoVision Unreleased Stuff - Part 1

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-qZ4vBbb-TA

For the next part, I need your help. I'm looking for more unreleased game informations, including scans, roms and exhibition footage. I've already send an email to BlueSkyRanger to have their collaboration to show the unreleased games He-Man Master of the univers.

If you can help me, please contact me.

Very nice. The digitized voice incorrectly pronouncing the ColecoVision name was hilarious. Thanks for mentioning my ColecoVision kiosk too.

Check out this site. They've got a bunch of un-released ColecoVision press pics:

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/nonatari/

Edited by doubledown

Very nice. The digitized voice incorrectly pronouncing the ColecoVision name was hilarious. Thanks for mentioning my ColecoVision kiosk too.

Check out this site. They've got a bunch of un-released ColecoVision press pics:

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/nonatari/

Happy to see you did like it. Many people don't like this voice, I think it's funny to see a computer talking about software, mostly because it's not perfect.

Do you prefer to keep secret your identity about the kiosk? because I still can add your name into the "more info" section. But I have to tell you that I have no idea what is your real name... sorry.

Thanks for the link, I'm checking this out.

If you didn't make yet a video about all your mods, you should give it a try... it will be a huge success.

They really need to have a video game museum ,,,I would love to see a colecovision Kiosk in person,

a video game museum could be cool have some proto's and rare stuff in glass cases and then have some video game stuff for hands on playing.

It could have both home and arcade type stuff. Hell I would have a classic arcade room ,,so people could get the feel of how awsome arcade's used to be.

Edited by AJ_Maine_Man

Fantastic video, well done!!

I read that Astrochase, Dino Eggs, and Rescue on Fractalus (among a couple dozen other titles) were slated to be ported to the colecovision. Maybe in time we'll get to see some of these beauties on the system.

Can you give the reference where you read these ports? It will be fun to add this information in the next video.

That video was great! I love the AT&T voice usage. Other than the afore mentioned Coleco mispronunciations, there was also a few odd grammatical anomalies, but they added to the charm.

Not to derail this thread at all, but I must say my heart nearly stopped when I saw the Aquarius show up a couple times. Thank you for pointing me toward that '83 CES video!

Good work. Thank you.

-Jay

I read that Astrochase, Dino Eggs, and Rescue on Fractalus (among a couple dozen other titles) were slated to be ported to the colecovision. Maybe in time we'll get to see some of these beauties on the system.

Can you give the reference where you read these ports? It will be fun to add this information in the next video.

I remember reading about these games from the Digital Press CD-ROM that I got years ago - I don't see Rescue on Fractalus though, I must have confused it with the Atari 7800(?). I'd LOVE to see a good port of Phoenix or Wizard of Wor on the coleco!!

Here's a cut & paste of the last section of the colecovision page.......................................

The header image for this section was chosen very carefully as it serves a purpose. Most anyone that has ever read a videogames magazine will recognize the company name Videolivery. I, for one, would immediately flip through my new copy of Electronic Games to their ad so I could see what news games were "coming out". I'd make up my wish-list only to find out many of the titles listed as "coming soon" or even available at that time, never came to be. The company has long since gone out of business so it's impossible to know where they came up with some of the titles they listed, but being "in the business", they had to have access to something that gave them all these crazy ideas.

Videolivery is certainly not the only source for the titles we list in the rumor mill. Most of them came from other "mentions" in various publications. All of them were mentioned someplace - we didn't pull any of these out of thin air. We have noted the sources on a few of the listings, but the Rumor Mill is a compilation of several years and several sources so we cannot offer the origin of all we have listed here. It's likely that 98% of what you see listed here never saw the light of day. Naturally, we have no pictures of any of this stuff...

005 ~ Coleco

9 to 5 ~ 20th Century Fox

Air Defense ~ Odyssey

#2153CL.

Apple Cider Spider ~ Sierra On-Line

Aquatron ~ Interphase

Armored Assault ~ Spectravideo

#SE233.

Astro Chase ~ Parker Brothers

Based on the Atari 5200 game. #PB9860.

Atari 2600 Adapter ~ Coleco

This prototype was the one shown in all the mags. The final product looked nothing like this.

Barbados Booty ~ Parker Brothers

Blueprint ~ CBS

Bung the Juggler ~ Sydney Dev.

Cabbage Patch Playground ~ Coleco

Capture the Flag ~ Coleco

Caverns and Creatures ~ Odyssey

#2147CL.

Chess Challenger ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "This game uses the World Champion Chess programs by Fidelity. Plan your defense with care - the computer is a formidable opponent. It's your move - you've out-maneuvered him - there is no place for him to go. Checkmate! But don't get too confident - he'll never play the same way again." #2438.

Circus Charlie ~ Parker Brothers

Crash Dive ~ Parker Brothers

Based on the Atari 2600 game. #66013.

Crisis Mountain ~ Micro-Fun

Destruction Derby ~ Coleco

Most likely renamed as Destructor.

Dimensional Puzzles ~ Coleco

Dino Eggs ~ Micro Fun

Domino Man ~ CBS Games

#80013.

Donkey Kong 3 ~ Coleco

Dot to Dot Zot! ~ Sydney Dev.

Dracula ~ Coleco

Pictured in Electronic Games magazine, the artist's conception of the game looked so cool - ColecoVision players were never treated to the real thing. #2608.

Dragon's Lair ~ Coleco

Released for Coleco's Adam computer on Datapack, programmers probably weren't able to write a 'respectable' version with ColecoVision's memory constraints.

Dragonstomper ~ Starpath

Based on the Atari 2600 game, Starpath promised a ColecoVision Supercharger. #6400.

Earth Dies Screaming, The ~ 20th Century Fox

Based on the Atari 2600 game.

Flashpoint ~ Odyssey

#2148CL.

Globe Grabber ~ Micro Fun

Grog! ~ Sydney Dev.

Horse Racing ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "They're off and running! This horse racing game puts you right at the track - with realistic sound effects and authentic action. Watch the board as the odds change. Hurry - place your bet! The horses start out of the gate - race around the bend - then jockey for position on the straightaway. Which horse will win... place... show? For the next race, the computer changes the entries and if you want, even the track conditions! It's a different race every time!" #2442.

Jawbreaker ~ Sierra On-Line

Journey Escape ~ Data Age

Lord of the Dungeon ~ Probe 2000

Was it released? Some people think so, still, we've never seen it. Let us know if you have.

Lunar Leeper ~ Sierra On-Line

Maddenness ~ CBS Games

#80122.

Master Builder ~ Spectravideo

Based on the rare Atari 2600 game. #SE233.

Masters of the Universe ~ Mattel

ColecoVision Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man was programmed by Steve Roney, and exists in the Blue Sky Ranger's archives. Computer Fun magazine rated this game a 2 (out of 4).

Meltdown ~ 20th Century Fox

Mogul Maniac ~ Amiga

Having barely finished the 2600 titles they promised, it's unlikely Amiga did much work on their ColecoVision line.

Mr. Cool Sierra ~ On-Line

Mr. Turtle ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "In this fun-filled game, MR. TURTLE comes to life on the screen, but needs your help on his treasure hunt. His goal is to collect the prizes that are located both on land and under water. But - each prize is guarded by an animal, some fierce, some funny. MR. TURTLE must outwit the creatures to obtain each treasure and score point." #2432.

Ms. Pac-Man ~ Atarisoft

Necromancer ~ Coleco

Number Bumper ~ Coleco/Sunrise

Papa Smurf ~ Coleco

Pastfinder ~ Activision

Phaser Patrol ~ Starpath

Based on the Atari 2600 game, Starpath promised a ColecoVision Supercharger. #6100.

Phoenix ~ Coleco

Pink Panther ~ Probe 2000

The Atari VCS prototype turned up... maybe this one was created too? #2152CL.

Pogo Man ~ Computer Magic

Pole Position ~ Atari

Power Lords ~ Probe 2000

Based on the rare Odyssey2 game. #2149CL.

Rainbow Walker ~ Coleco

Rip Cord ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "This daring sky diving game puts you in charge of a parachutist. You've got to time his jump out of a high altitude plane, and allow him to free fall as long as you dare. Then, pull his rip cord, and get him to land exactly on one of the targets. But watch out - the sky is full of dangerous helicopters. The sky diver must avoid them to survive!" #2431.

Robotron: 2084 ~ Atarisoft

Rock ~ Xonox

Likely re-titled as "It's Only Rock & Roll".

Round Up ~ Coleco

Satan's Hollow ~ CBS Games

Scraper Caper ~ Tigervision

Proposed for both the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision.

Short Circuit ~ Micro-Fun

Side Trak ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "This fast-moving game puts you in control of a thundering locomotive. You must direct the locomotive down the track and pick up the passengers along the way. In doing so, you must avoid a deadly runaway train that is out to demolish your locomotive! Can you stay on track and score?" #2418.

Silicon Warrior ~ Epyx

Skiing ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "This unusual skiing game actually gives you the skier's perspective - seeing the course right through his goggles! The skier must race down the snow covered slopes, negotiating the sharp curves with precision and avoiding the treacherous moguls, trees, and other obstacles. His goal is to traverse the course and reach the finish in record time! Go for it!" NOT the same game as released by Telegames. #2436.

Smurfette's Birthday ~ Coleco

#2444.

Smurf Play 'N Learn ~ Coleco

Screen shot seen in Electronic Games, May 1983 p32.

Solar Fox ~ CBS Games

Spacemaster X-7 ~ 20th Century Fox

Based on the Atari 2600 game.

Spectar ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "In this fast action game, you must direct an armored car through a tangled maze - negotiating sharp turns at unbelievably high speeds. But as you traverse the terrain, a variety of tank-like vehicles emerge to attack and destroy your car. How many of the enemy vehicles can you outmaneuver and destroy in the allotted time?" #2421.

Spook Maze ~ Sydney Dev.

Stargate ~ Atarisoft

Stunt Flyer ~ Sierra On-Line

Summer Games ~ Epyx

Sword & the Sorcerer ~ Coleco

Slim possibility that this game was released in Europe, as catalogs seem to indicate. #2619.

Tac-Scan ~ Coleco

Based on the Atari 2600 game. #2635.

Temple of Asphai ~ Epyx

Proposed follow-up to Gateway to Asphai. This title did appear on PC's.

Time Runner ~ Micro Fun

Toy Bizarre ~ Activision

Tunnels & Trolls ~ Coleco

Shown in early Colecovision catalogs (packaged with base unit) "This fantasy role-playing game for one to four players puts you into an adventure of the most fascinating kind. Your expedition involves your entrance into a mysterious dungeon made up of uncharted hallways and hidden chambers. You enter in search of priceless treasures. But - the underground is populated by monsters. Choose to fight or run! Select from a variety of weapons, cast magic spells or use your wits to defeat the monsters and claim the treasures! Will you emerge victorious?" The 'demo' listed above consists of nothing more than an animated title screen. #2441.

Turmoil ~ 20th Century Fox

Vanguard ~ Atarisoft

Wild Western ~ Coleco

#2631.

Wings ~ CBS Games

#80062.

Wizard of Id's Adventure ~ Sydney Dev.

Wizard of Oz, The ~ Coleco

#2636.

Wizard of Wor ~ Coleco/CBS

Announced in a CBS games catalog from France, but never seen. #2421.

Wiz Lab ~ Sydney Dev.

Wiz Music ~ Sydney Dev.

Wiz Type ~ Sydney Dev.

Wiz Words ~ Sydney Dev.

Wiz World ~ Sydney Dev.

Wrath of Quintana Roo ~ Sunrise

WOW - can you imagine a sequel to Quest for Quintana Roo? That's what this could have been.

Edited by chuckwalla

This thread reminded me of something I haven't thought of in decades.

While I was in 6th grad (1984) our middle school had a program where small groups of students would spend time with visiting Senior Citizens as part of some kind of generational exchange program. Different groups of kids would get assigned to their own group of Seniors. So, once a week, when it was my group's turn, we'd go off to a special room and spend time with the old folks. It was a good idea, I suppose, though the desired goals weren't obvious to me at the time.

The problem was, that they had a shiny Colecovision hooked up in that room. I REALLY looked forward to my weekly session, so I could get some hands on time with Donkey Kong! It blew my Atari 2600 version away (though I played the hell out of that, too).

Anyway, this went on for a couple months or so, when, one day, the teacher started going on a tirade in front of all the students, because the seniors were complaining that all we did was play video games, and there wasn't the desired "interaction." I remember thinking, "What's the problem? I played against the old guy a couple of times?!?!" LOL.

Having some more perspective now, I feel a little guilty about my obsession with the Colecovision, while ignoring the older folks.

Of course, if they have a program like this when I'm living in a nursing home, it will probably be the KIDS complaining that they don't get a chance to play on the Xbox MCXVII system, because the old man tells them to buzz off. :-)

I remember reading about these games from the Digital Press CD-ROM that I got years ago - I don't see Rescue on Fractalus though, I must have confused it with the Atari 7800(?). I'd LOVE to see a good port of Phoenix or Wizard of Wor on the coleco!!

Here's a cut & paste of the last section of the colecovision page.......................................

Blueprint ~ CBS

Dino Eggs ~ Micro Fun

Jawbreaker ~ Sierra On-Line

Ms. Pac-Man ~ Atarisoft

Phoenix ~ Coleco

Pole Position ~ Atari

Robotron: 2084 ~ Atarisoft

Satan's Hollow ~ CBS Games

Solar Fox ~ CBS Games

Spectar ~ Coleco

Stargate ~ Atarisoft

Vanguard ~ Atarisoft

Wild Western ~ Coleco

#2631.

Wizard of Wor ~ Coleco/CBS

Announced in a CBS games catalog from France, but never seen. #2421.

We sure lost out on a lot of great games. The one's I selected above would have been "must have's" for certain.

I liked the video a lot. :)

So the synthetic voice keeps messing up Coleco/ColecoVision? Perhaps you can just trick it into saying it properly by spelling it "ColeecoVision" in your source text. Have you tried that?

It'd probably have to be done phonetically, like kohleeko vishon.

Someone make me remark something... Coleco is the first 2 letters of 3 words, and if you pronounce these 3 words and keep only the first part of them, you got what this machine pronounce the word Coleco. The question is : Do we pronounce right the word Coleco, which is not a real word?

In french, we say the word Coleco almost like this machine says it.

Edited by newcoleco

I liked the video a lot. :)

So the synthetic voice keeps messing up Coleco/ColecoVision? Perhaps you can just trick it into saying it properly by spelling it "ColeecoVision" in your source text. Have you tried that?

It'd probably have to be done phonetically, like kohleeko vishon.

Someone make me remark something... Coleco is the first 2 letters of 3 words, and if you pronounce these 3 words and keep only the first part of them, you got what this machine pronounce the word Coleco. The question is : Do we pronounce right the word Coleco, which is not a real word?

As a former stock owner in the company, I can say the way the machine is saying it is wrong. Coleco is pronounced koh-leeko.

Don't just take my word for it though, take Coleco's as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GpptJusOjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PI35FhMp6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sD1hmqBFs

In fact in these two, at the end you can clearly see Coleco was spelled at one time with the line above the e to denote the stress:

It is not koh-leh-co. While that may be more representative of trying to put the words Connecticut and Leather together, you can clearly hear and now clearly see that's not how they pronounced it.

Edited by wgungfu

Here's a couple pics of clone consoles. I think the Brazilian SpliceVision is confirmed as released, but I'm not sure about the Creatavision. I've got a few magazine ads for ColecoVision controllers that I've never seen, but they're on my home computer. I'll see if I can find them tonight.

creativision_mark_ii.bmp

untitled.bmp

post-4993-1220897684_thumb.jpg

The same in Portuguese...

Great video, Daniel. BTW, where did you find the Sword & the Sorcerer video? Is there a prototype ROM image available?

Eduardo