IGNORED

Super Mario 2600

Wickeycolumbus

This is a 2600 Mario game in its early stages. It will hopefully turn out to be somewhat like SMB1. I just started it today so dont expect much. all you can do is run and jump. Graphics courtesy of Andrew Davie's Interleaved ChronoColour™ technique.

Note, this does not mean that Manhole or any of my other 2600 projects are cancled.

SuperMario260020080906.bin

Any chance for a screenshot?

-John

If I do a screen shot, mario will show as a bunch of garbage up because he is a composite image of 3 frames (that is why it appears to be 4 colors.), but I did take a picture of the mario sprite with my digital cameria, and it showed up pretty well. There are not any levels designed yet, so I will just post the mario.

post-12776-1220900463.png

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

I guess it's not likely to end up looking like this though huh?

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/02/2...-like-on-atari/

Yea, its not going to look like that. That is just the nes one with dumed down graphics, which arent even possible on the 2600. And the sound is the same as the nes also.

Let me know what you think of this though!

Nice, but there is no way that the big N will ever let you release it on a cart - it might be better to come up with a new character before you do too much work on it? Also, I think you are updating the sprite colours a bit too late as the effect doesn't work properly towards the left edge of the screen?

Chris

Nice, but there is no way that the big N will ever let you release it on a cart - it might be better to come up with a new character before you do too much work on it?

Yea, I thought about that. Maybe I will keep the same character but name him and the game something different, since it only vaguely represents mario.

Also, I think you are updating the sprite colours a bit too late as the effect doesn't work properly towards the left edge of the screen?

Chris

Yea, either that or the kernel is taking more than 76 cycles (the whole thing is 263 scanlines right now). But if it is what you mentioned, it is not really a problem because as in the original game, mario will stay in the center pretty much the whole time and the playfield will move.

I think the biggest problem I will run into is ROM space. I dont know how to bankswitch yet.

Sounds nice. How did you do that? Is two channels also possible?

I googled Super Mario Bros sheet music and used Paul Slocum's frequency guide to convert it so it could be played on the 2600. Two channels is possible, but I am reserving one of them for Sound effects, plus that would take up another 256 bytes of precious ROM.

If I do a screen shot, mario will show as a bunch of garbage up because he is a composite image of 3 frames (that is why it appears to be 4 colors.)

You have 20Hz flicker on the player sprite?!? Dude... NOT good. Not good at all.

Besides which, the interlaced color approach only works on things that are absolutely motionless.

If I do a screen shot, mario will show as a bunch of garbage up because he is a composite image of 3 frames (that is why it appears to be 4 colors.)

You have 20Hz flicker on the player sprite?!? Dude... NOT good. Not good at all.

Besides which, the interlaced color approach only works on things that are absolutely motionless.

Its going to stay in the middle of the screen in the real game. The playfield is going to move instead. If it does not work out, it will be changed. Plus if you emulate the tv's phosphor coating, it looks just fine.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

• 1 month later...
Nice, but there is no way that the big N will ever let you release it on a cart - it might be better to come up with a new character before you do too much work on it? Also, I think you are updating the sprite colours a bit too late as the effect doesn't work properly towards the left edge of the screen?

Chris

I seriously doubt anything would happen. Shawn Sr sold a super mario hack ( Super Mario Bros - rescue in bowsers castle? something like that) he didn't get sued or thrown in jail, etc..