IGNORED

Super Mario 2600

Wickeycolumbus

Nice, but there is no way that the big N will ever let you release it on a cart - it might be better to come up with a new character before you do too much work on it? Also, I think you are updating the sprite colours a bit too late as the effect doesn't work properly towards the left edge of the screen?

Chris

Well look at B*NQ. That was a great way to not use the Q-Bert name.

You could always call it something like Super Plumberman, or Super Ron Jermey Brothers, or perhaps Super Kong Killer.

Wait Wait... Super JOE THE PLUMBER! :roll:

AX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
man i really like the progress i've been hoping for a super mario 2600

i wonder how many levels can be crammed in a cart?

May I suggest vertically scrolling levels instead of horizontal ones? OK, It'll be more like "Captain Dynamo" (look it up on Youtube if you don't know it) then, but as the 2600 can't do smooth horizontal scrolling, there'd be flipping like on the Atari ST version of Great Giana Sisters instead.

Thorsten

• 3 months later...

This project is not dead yet :D

Today I came up with a great kernel that can be used for a high resolution title screen (96 pixels :-o ) so I thought I would give you guys an update. There are currently no graphics for the title screen, just code reused as graphics, but the kernel is functioning.

The rest is pretty much the same as version 20081101. I really have not implemented any game play yet.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I tried version 20081101 out on real hardware and the flicker is fine :)

SuperMario260020090418.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Perhaps you should be focusing your energies on developing a landscape engine instead of a fancy title screen. The latter is expendable. The former is not.

Ya cause your current work on a similar game is coming along so much better. :ponder:

Sometimes homebrewers get carried away by exploring cool technical stuff. Now and then we need these kind of comments to get focussed again. :)

Perhaps you should be focusing your energies on developing a landscape engine instead of a fancy title screen. The latter is expendable. The former is not.

Ya cause your current work on a similar game is coming along so much better. :ponder:

Doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me.

Doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me.

Nope I'm not, just saying cut him some slack. But you already know that as per your post I'm quoting ;)

So, how you going to do this? Verticle levels (a few exist in the games, so it would work, just look weird) Flipping like Pitfall, or just really jerky side scrolling? I think that would be cool either way.

Heh, I'll see if I can find my Mockup of Mario for 2600 sometime, It took forever, but I think I made a fairly conviencing scrolling game...damn, now I gotta hook up my old computer again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...