IGNORED

ANOTHER psp!? huh?

shadow460

I'm not doing a very good job of rumor control.

Stumbled on this contraption while reading DAX's comments on hacking the newest Slim PSP units. It seems the PSP-2000 we all know has yet a newer motherboard that ships with the 4.01 firmware, and the DC program Alex wrote needs modification in order to work with it. ALex's site is down, and maxconsole is running slower than an old Ford truck right now, so I kinda gave up on it all.

Supposedly the PSP-3000 has "more vibrant colors" and less glare on the screen. Says one thing to me: waste of money.

In other news, one of the new 4.05 vizualitzations hung up my phat PSP. Guess I gotta fix it fast so the wife can get back to GTA! :D

Edited by shadow460

I ditched the PSP long ago. Traded it in for some Xbox 360 games and I don't regret it. I got out of Sony's camp just in time, too. All this "slim" crap would have drained my wallet. You know they're just going to release another one with "faster UMD loading" or some other bull**** to soak up your dollars.

Edit: I swear, if Nintendo follows suit with a DS Liter, I'm going to barf. I still haven't gotten over the WTF-inducing retardedness of Game Boy Micro, which was actually a downgrade.

Edited by Freakin' Duck

It has some other improvements too, the screen will be even brighter and you can now output games to interlaced displays if you wish.

The existing Slim model can output games to an interlaced display also. I've used it to run Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner on my Commodore 1701. It's all a matter of custom firmware, which Sony hates soooo much. Faster loading, extended battery life ... it's all there in custom firmware. Why can't Sony just open the silly thing up and admit that someone else has done a better job at making an OS for the PSP?

Just read some specs... it has the same 64 MB of ram, lacks 802.11g, and in general has nothing else besides the screen that might compel one to purchase it. Oh, wait, I gotta have anti homebrew hardware! I gotta get this, then! Oh, and it comes with official firmware pre installed!? Sign me up! :roll: (sign me up to keep my PSP Slim, that is)

I wonder if maybe the refresh rate has something to do with why Crisis Core drops frames even when the CPU speed is at max.

Here is the real reason for the PSP-3000. What a slap in the face to homebrew authors for a PSP fan site to post something like that. If it weren't for homebrew and Sony's bull headed-ness, the PSP may well have gone to the grave it was headed for a couple of years ago. That article really makes me angry. Yes, I have many games on my Memory Stick. No, I do not use UMD with the PSP, but yes, I do have official copies of every PSP game and level that are on my memsticks. They are sitting with the rest of my games.

I hope Dark Alex is able to hack this new PSP even faster than he did Slim. Now that would be funny.

Edited by shadow460

I ditched the PSP long ago. Traded it in for some Xbox 360 games and I don't regret it. I got out of Sony's camp just in time, too. All this "slim" crap would have drained my wallet. You know they're just going to release another one with "faster UMD loading" or some other bull**** to soak up your dollars.

My question is: when are they going to bypass this "revision" stuff and just make a new handheld? Let's face it, the PSP isn't a failure, but it's hardly a rousing success either. It might be turning a profit, but I'm sure Sony expected much more in terms of marketshare. I'd say they've done as much as they can with this generation of hardware, it's about time Sony started gearing up for a PSP2.

Sony could have stopped piracy and homebrew dead in its tracks if they hadn't used the PSP as a trojan horse for their Memory Stick line of flash cards. An internal flash drive would have made the system a lot more difficult for hackers to break.

Either way, I don't care. I lost interest in the PSP a long time ago... the Asus EEE has satisfied all my homebrew gaming needs with its more open source friendly architecture and crisper screen. People complain about the size of that screen, but damn, it's a huge improvement over the PSP display.

My question is: when are they going to bypass this "revision" stuff and just make a new handheld? Let's face it, the PSP isn't a failure, but it's hardly a rousing success either. It might be turning a profit, but I'm sure Sony expected much more in terms of marketshare. I'd say they've done as much as they can with this generation of hardware, it's about time Sony started gearing up for a PSP2.

They're fine with market share, the only competition is the DS. PSP is much better than the DS in every aspect of the system but Sony won't sell it out to the Imagine crowd and line of games, so the 5 year olds will continue to get DS instead of PSP. I seriously believe the only reason why the DS has sold so many units is because of the kiddie games and parents buying the units for their kids. Nobody is going to buy their 5 year old a PSP, but they will buy the DS and I applaud Sony for not selling the PSP out, the DS has become a pile of shit because of the shitty software, the DS will remain a system that will probably never see it's potential because of all the bull shit released for it. DS as it is, is in my top 5 most under estimated systems of all time. This system could be so much more than what it is.

They're fine with market share, the only competition is the DS. PSP is much better than the DS in every aspect of the system but Sony won't sell it out to the Imagine crowd and line of games, so the 5 year olds will continue to get DS instead of PSP. I seriously believe the only reason why the DS has sold so many units is because of the kiddie games and parents buying the units for their kids. Nobody is going to buy their 5 year old a PSP, but they will buy the DS and I applaud Sony for not selling the PSP out, the DS has become a pile of shit because of the shitty software, the DS will remain a system that will probably never see it's potential because of all the bull shit released for it. DS as it is, is in my top 5 most under estimated systems of all time. This system could be so much more than what it is.

This is sillier every time you say it. You've finally given up on the 7800 hate, why not stop the blind Nintendo hate too. First off, I thought you were a parent? Shouldn't you know all about kids? When I'm out at the mall now every kid over the age of 6 seems to have a cell phone or MP3 player on them, and no one seems to much think kids can't handle electronics anymore. No one has thought it since we started this millennium nearly a decade ago. That aside, if you're claiming the DS is well on the way to becoming the best selling console ever, totally based on the 6 year and younger market, I have to question your understanding of market sizes. How many 6 year olds do you think there are? More specifically how many 6 year old game players do you think there are? How many 6 year old gameplayers who have parents buying them handhelds rather than (or in addition to) consoles? New handhelds as opposed to the cheaper GBA? According to you there are what, 80 million 6 year old children in that group?

More importantly though (and outside of the handheld debate I no longer own either system in) I have to wonder about your very visible and public praise for a faceless company that doesn't know you exist. Sony, the company who invented a fake reviewer to review their movies, who made terrible fake viral ads for the PSP, who criminally installed software on their customers' computers, who ran mocking ads of the Passion of Jesus Christ, who released batteries that explode, who made Topher Grace Venom, and are responsible for such cinematic master pieces as Star Ship Troopers 3 and The Grudge 2, that company, you believe is above selling out? You think they allowed Buzz and American Idol games on their biggest selling console of all time, but purposely kept people from publishing potentially profitable games on PSP because they are so very hardcore. I guess games like Naruto: Ultimate Ninjas: Heroes 2, WallE, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 1, Buzz Master Quiz, Petz Saddle Club, Ben 10: Alien Force, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: TMNT, Mind Quiz, Surfs Up, Avatar the Last Air Bender, Soudoku Master, Cars, Ratatouille, Spongbob: The Yellow Avenger, and all the other incredibly hardcore stuff on the PSP is proof of that.

They have "sold out" to that crowd. The announcement of Petz: Saddle Club should make that pretty clear to you. You just don't see as much of it because you actually like the PSP and then pay more attention for good games for it, and bad ones for the DS.

Edited by Atarifever

This is sillier every time you say it. You've finally given up on the 7800 hate, why not stop the blind Nintendo hate too. First off, I thought you were a parent? Shouldn't you know all about kids? When I'm out at the mall now every kid over the age of 6 seems to have a cell phone or MP3 player on them, and no one seems to much think kids can't handle electronics anymore. No one has thought it since we started this millennium nearly a decade ago. That aside, if you're claiming the DS is well on the way to becoming the best selling console ever, totally based on the 6 year and younger market, I have to question your understanding of market sizes. How many 6 year olds do you think there are? More specifically how many 6 year old game players do you think there are? How many 6 year old gameplayers who have parents buying them handhelds rather than (or in addition to) consoles? New handhelds as opposed to the cheaper GBA? According to you there are what, 80 million 6 year old children in that group?

More importantly though (and outside of the handheld debate I no longer own either system in) I have to wonder about your very visible and public praise for a faceless company that doesn't know you exist. Sony, the company who invented a fake reviewer to review their movies, who made terrible fake viral ads for the PSP, who criminally installed software on their customers' computers, who ran mocking ads of the Passion of Jesus Christ, who released batteries that explode, who made Topher Grace Venom, and are responsible for such cinematic master pieces as Star Ship Troopers 3 and The Grudge 2, that company, you believe is above selling out? You think they allowed Buzz and American Idol games on their biggest selling console of all time, but purposely kept people from publishing potentially profitable games on PSP because they are so very hardcore. I guess games like Naruto: Ultimate Ninjas: Heroes 2, WallE, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 1, Buzz Master Quiz, Petz Saddle Club, Ben 10: Alien Force, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: TMNT, Mind Quiz, Surfs Up, Avatar the Last Air Bender, Soudoku Master, Cars, Ratatouille, Spongbob: The Yellow Avenger, and all the other incredibly hardcore stuff on the PSP is proof of that.

They have "sold out" to that crowd. The announcement of Petz: Saddle Club should make that pretty clear to you. You just don't see as much of it because you actually like the PSP and then pay more attention for good games for it, and bad ones for the DS.

Out in public, I've actually seen more adults playing DS than kids. Oddly enough, they often have kids with them.

I think the problem with PSPs in the hands of kids is fragility. The PSP can't handle drops to the floor like a DS can.

The new PSP 3000 will consume more energy but a new battery is included to make up for it, making the battery life equal to older models.

They announced the 1200 mAh battery and possibly the return of the 2200 mAh Stamina Pack for the Brite. It's also been announced that power use within the system has been cut down a little to allow more for the screen. I think the CPU is thinner, which would help explain why its having problems with some existing programs yet uses less power.

It's a worthwhile system for people without a PSP yet.

It may make a good entry level PSP for the casual user, yes. Hardcore users need a Phat, plain and simple. Even if they want the additional features of a Slim or Brite, they still need to have a working phat kickin' about. Heck with the release of yet a new PSP, the price of a used phat should go under $100 soon.

It may make a good entry level PSP for the casual user, yes. Hardcore users need a Phat, plain and simple. Even if they want the additional features of a Slim or Brite, they still need to have a working phat kickin' about. Heck with the release of yet a new PSP, the price of a used phat should go under $100 soon.

Why do you say that? The only PSP I have is a phat, so maybe I don't know why it is better than the slim. Can it do things that the slim can't or something?

Sony needing to curb the use of "homebrew" is a valid reason to do whatever they need to do to make that happen. It is WAY too easy to play games that you didn't pay for on that system. I have heard that it is one of the main reasons that we aren't seeing more software come out for the PSP, but I don't know how true that is. But we all know what happened to the Sega Dreamcast. Sony needs to sell software to make money on the PSP, and when people are buying it just to play emulators and to download UMD images of games that they should be paying for, then Sony doesn't have much incentive to keep it around.

Also, in response to some earlier posts, I think that the DS is freakin' awesome, and I am 31 years old. I don't think I have even turned on my PSP since I got my DS, not because I don't like my PSP, but because I am enamored with the DS. Yes there is a lot of shovelware on that system, but I just ignore it. I just bought my DS about a month ago and I already have somewhere around 10 games for it, along with a pretty hefty want-list of additional titles. As soon as I bought it and started playing it, I felt stupid for not buying it a long time ago. Personally, as a huge fan of handheld gaming, I think both systems are pretty awesome.

Chris

Why do you say that? The only PSP I have is a phat, so maybe I don't know why it is better than the slim. Can it do things that the slim can't or something?

Chris

It's easier to get homebrew going on the phat. There's still a lot of 1.5 kernel homebrew applications floating around out there. Getting 1.5 firmware on a hacked Slim will take the average Joe much longer than getting it on a phat. If Average Joe is hardcore about the PSP, he might wanna get the homebrew going quick without messing with Time Machine or something. Phat also has the IR port, for what it's worth, and ALL phats can write battery EEPROMs. That means if you need the Jigkick for some reason, you flash a battery and then flash it back when you're done. Additionally, none of the Slim or Brite PSPs can be downgraded without a Pandora Battery kit.

Sony has not stressed the PSP's ability to play games like they should have. They've advertised it as a handheld multimedia device in addition to a game system. There are undoubtedly some folks out there who have a PSP but have no intent of ever playing any games on it. My wife, for one, plays about one game on the PSP, and the rest of the time she uses it for YouTube or web surfing when she's not near the computer.

Just my 1.5 cents, though.

Edit: I swear, if Nintendo follows suit with a DS Liter, I'm going to barf. I still haven't gotten over the WTF-inducing retardedness of Game Boy Micro, which was actually a downgrade.

Soak my dollars? Methinks not. I have an original PSP model, hacked for homebrew and such, and a 2000 model for PSP games, which I bought primarily because of the much-better d-pad. To me, the screens on both of those models are plenty bright and vibrant enough, so why should I shell out for a 3000 model when all it brings to the table is a slightly better screen (why fix if it ain't broke?) and tougher-to-crack security (*snicker*... good luck with that one... :) )?

I shouldn't. That's why. :D

Also for the DS Lite, Nintendo probably won't make another iteration of it. Unlike Sony has done, Nintendo tends to issue two iterations of their consoles: an initial version that's well-built, then a second superior version that carries the rest of the lifetime until the next generation handheld. The only thing you'll see is what you're already seeing: more color variants on the same machine. But nothing really new.

As for the GBMicro, I got one on sale for cheap. It's a handy thing to have if you don't feel like lugging around a handheld. Most high-tech keychain I've ever seen. :P

I would laugh if Sony discontinued the PSP like Sega discontinued Dreamcast. Not that it's gonna happen, but those hackers wouldn't have anything to hack anymore.

I think more severe measures should be taken to prevent piracy. PSP is a wonderful console, pity there are so few games but I would say that comes from the DS with its sales.

There needs to be more anti copy protection for the games, but the unit should remain open the way Alex and M33 have opened it up. If it were possible to "install" a game to the memory stick, yet prevent it from being used on a different PSP, that would rock.

Problem is that Sony always goes overboard with DRM, and cannot be trusted to create something that won't somehow interfere with the end user legally using said software.

I would laugh if Sony discontinued the PSP like Sega discontinued Dreamcast. Not that it's gonna happen, but those hackers wouldn't have anything to hack anymore.

Why would you laugh? The PSP is way better when hacked. I'm not sure I see what's funny...

Oh, and even if it was discontinued, it would still continue to be hacked.

Why would you laugh? The PSP is way better when hacked. I'm not sure I see what's funny...

Games wouldn't be released anymore. I would laugh because hackers would be left with a dead system because of themselves.

Games wouldn't be released anymore. I would laugh because hackers would be left with a dead system because of themselves.

The point of hacking is not to enable copying games. Unfortunately, there are some people who see it primarily as a way to get games they haven't paid for, and there are others that assume the only reason to hack a PSP is to pirate games.

The benefits of hacking a PSP are numerous. Better battery life, way faster loading times, less lag, fewer dropped frames, brighter screen (yes, with the 1000 and 2000 series PSP as well), etc.