IGNORED

Monitors that can do pal and ntsc (in the US)

orpheuswaking

Actually that's just the information I was looking for... I have two 1902a's right now and love them... a 1084s would fit in just nicely...

Going the other way, are there any TV's on the market than can display this type of thing?

From what I've heard, it seems PAL markets have a majority of models that'll do both, but NTSC markets don't have the same privelage.

Could be due to PAL being slightly more complex to decode although these days with tuning circuits on a chip it shouldn't matter.

Maybe give LG a go - mine does both and I've heard here from people in the US who also have LG models that handle PAL fine.

Commodore 1084s.

AFAIK, they could all do PAL/NTSC regardless of where they were sold.

Actually, I do not believe that is exactly correct. There are like 7 model variations of the 1084s monitor, and if it's pal compatable then it will have the letter "P" somewhere in the model (IE: 1084SP).

what about something like this? anyone have any luck with these... would probably just output it to my 1902a monitor

[edit] DOH helps if you add the link in

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-Video-System-PAL-to...id=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by orpheuswaking

Commodore 1084s.

Actually, I do not believe that is exactly correct. There are like 7 model variations of the 1084s monitor, and if it's pal compatable then it will have the letter "P" somewhere in the model (IE: 1084SP).

That wasn't the case with the two I had.

I'd guess that the ones sold in PAL markets probably could do both, but possibly the NTSC marketed ones might have had some 60 Hz only models.

• 3 weeks later...
Commodore 1084s.

Right, not all Commodore 1084S monitors can do NTSC and PAL. Mine is a U.S. model and does not, neither does it have S-Video input. Connect a PAL signal to the Composite input and you get PAL in black and white. It does however handle my 1200XL which produces an NTSC signal with an PAL ANTIC chip.

One of the best monitors for multi-standard was the Sony KX-14 CP1. Good luck finding one!

Samsung currently makes some flat panel PC monitors with Composite and S-Video inputs - mine handles PAL and NTSC but wont handle the 1200 - the screen flickers and rolls and the colours are all wrong.

Hope that helps.

Graham

• 5 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I really need some expert advice. I recently obtained a 1084S-D2 from Germany. While RGB is fine, when using the composite connection it plays all my NTSC systems in black and white, including my Commodore 128 in chroma luma. I don't have any PAL systems to test it out, but several replies above said 1084S' are interchangeable and accept both. Is this just wrong info, or is my 1084S-D2 just partially broken?

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I really need some expert advice. I recently obtained a 1084S-D2 from Germany. While RGB is fine, when using the composite connection it plays all my NTSC systems in black and white, including my Commodore 128 in chroma luma. I don't have any PAL systems to test it out, but several replies above said 1084S' are interchangeable and accept both. Is this just wrong info, or is my 1084S-D2 just partially broken?

I am going by a very vague memory here and it is a long shot but in the back (I think) of the monitor is there some button that pushes in? IF SO can you try pressing it with one of your systems hooked up to composite? I seem to recall the signal output changing and only displaying proper with that button in one position. I am SURE you would have tried if even applicable but I just had to mention this in case?

I am going by a very vague memory here and it is a long shot but in the back (I think) of the monitor is there some button that pushes in? IF SO can you try pressing it with one of your systems hooked up to composite? I seem to recall the signal output changing and only displaying proper with that button in one position. I am SURE you would have tried if even applicable but I just had to mention this in case?

Yeah, I tried those already. That just affects the composite/chroma luma and something else I'm not sure. Some 1084S' have yet another button or two. I think on those models PAL/NTSC are interchangeable. I really like the 1084S-D1. I think that one has all the options.

• Like 1

I have a D1 here and it has exactly the same buttons on the back as a D2, and it doesn't handle NTSC any better than the D2.

It doesn't have the same amount of buttons as the D2. It has one more. The D2 only has two buttons you can push in. The D1 has the 40/80 column switch. Sucks that it can't do both NTSC and PAL though. :(

Here are two pics:

14.jpgD1

m_1084s-d2.jpgD2

As you can see, it's missing one to the left of the RGB port. I believe that's the one that allows you to use your C64/128 in RGB mode.

Edited by Zap!

I recommend against getting professional broadcast monitors. They usually use a more color accurate type of phosphor called SMPTE-C. That sounds good but the disadvantage is that they look very dull when used with consumer equipment. Consumer tubes (TV's, composite computer monitors, arcade monitors...) use P-22 phosphor.

See this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/205444-whats-a-good-atari-8-bit-monitor-to-get/

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

It doesn't have the same amount of buttons as the D2. It has one more. The D2 only has two buttons you can push in. The D1 has the 40/80 column switch. Sucks that it can't do both NTSC and PAL though. :(

Thanks - I'd never noticed the difference. :) I've tried NTSC machines on both, though.

Thanks - I'd never noticed the difference. :) I've tried NTSC machines on both, though.

The weird thing is is that that one extra button makes yours superior. How can mine be a "2" and have less features? You would think it would be improved. :)