IGNORED

An Atari joystick this Christmas?

Curt Vendel

NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDER:

http://www.legacyengineer.com/store.html

:)

Curt

Is this something you'd like to see being sold on atari.com this holiday season:

Works with all Direct Input games under Windows, recognized and works with MAME on Apple OSX as well as Linux, even works with DOSbox games.

Also has a hidden surprise on the PC board for hardware hackers...

Atari USB joystick:

post-23-1221190517_thumb.jpg

post-23-1221190534_thumb.jpg

Want to get some feedback from everyone.

Curt

Edited by Curt Vendel

yep, at least 2 for the UK please.

What is the ROM blob sitting on the PCB?

Probably a little cypress USB chip. Header is probably for keypads.

(got an a8 stick to usb all proto-d up here too, darn it!)

Never thought of putting the adapter in the stick- neat.

The "blob" is the USB MCU and the header is for 10 additional firebuttons is anyone wants to tinker and hack the stick to add more buttons for use, you could always remove the pcb and use it in an arcade control panel project or in a MAME cabinet, a great low cost alternative to the more expensive arcade control boards that are sold.

Curt

Curt - that looks awesome! And 2600 modifiable cord compatibility as well (?) Sweet! :cool:

The choice was made to do a "B" USB connector instead of hardwiring the USB cable in so that longer cables could be used (includes a 6' cord) and yes, if you wanted you could hardwire an Atari 9 pin cable into it if you wanted and make it a dual use joystick too.

Curt

:thumbsup:

Must be a good idea, I have been toying with the idea of building myself one with the guts from a keyboard to use with a 2600 emulator. But, I don't much care for playing on an emulator so it's way down on the to-do list.

I play Rally X, MS Pac Man, Dragon's Lair and a few other games and it makes such a HUGE difference in higher scores and overall better enjoyment of gameplay when you can play these games with this joystick over a keyboard. Its great having near perfect emulation, but if the controls are up to snuff, then the end result is gameplay that just falls short. Even on a lot of modern games, just playing them with this joystick makes them that much better. This is the kind of product Atari should have out on the market - something for modern usage that can play all forms of games.

Curt

:thumbsup:

Must be a good idea, I have been toying with the idea of building myself one with the guts from a keyboard to use with a 2600 emulator. But, I don't much care for playing on an emulator so it's way down on the to-do list.

I play Rally X, MS Pac Man, Dragon's Lair and a few other games and it makes such a HUGE difference in higher scores and overall better enjoyment of gameplay when you can play these games with this joystick over a keyboard. Its great having near perfect emulation, but if the controls are up to snuff, then the end result is gameplay that just falls short. Even on a lot of modern games, just playing them with this joystick makes them that much better. This is the kind of product Atari should have out on the market - something for modern usage that can play all forms of games.

Curt

Maybe I will give it a try then just for the heck of it. I may not be able to fit the keyboard guts into a standard 2600 (or FB2) controller, but I think I can fit the relatively small board (from an old Microsoft Natural keyboard) into a Jakks 10-in-1 stick. I just have to sit down and figure out the key matrix input to yield the right keypress outputs. I'll basically have a 5 button keyboard.

Upon seeing the product you presented here, my first thoughts were of people playing modern games with the Atari stick. Let the button hacking begin. :)

I was hoping that the hardware hackability would be a 9 pin socket into which I could plug paddle controllers. The interface to a MCU using the tried and true capacitor charging method wouldn't take much external hardware. But, I have no clue how/if such analog signals are handled with standard, modern USB controllers and standard game controller drivers.

Having said all of that, I'll be watching for any news confirming the availability and pricing of your new toy. Advance ordering available for AtariAge members? ;)

BTW - Nice job. I'm inspired by the way you leveraged the previous work and IP. One modification to the mold, a new circuit board (possibly existing code for the MCU that the mfr. used in a different product) and voila!, you're in business. I like it.

Edited by BigO

WOW!!!

An excellent idea (waiting for the USB Paddles, too) :D

Funny thing is I actually took one of the RSI Space Invaders sticks and re-wired it up to be USB. This beats what I did by a mile.

I'll most likely end up getting a bunch of these. :)

Edited by PacManPlus