IGNORED

MAGE - Magic Arcade Graphic Engine

Fletch

I was going through some of my ST stuff the other day and remembered I used to have a program called M.A.G.E. - Magic Arcade Graphic Engine. I seemed to remember it was a dumbed down version of GFA-Basic.

I'm not sure if I still have it or not. Can anyone shed some light on this programming language?

Thanks,

Fletch

• Like 1

I was going through some of my ST stuff the other day and remembered I used to have a program called M.A.G.E. - Magic Arcade Graphic Engine. I seemed to remember it was a dumbed down version of GFA-Basic.

I'm not sure if I still have it or not. Can anyone shed some light on this programming language?

Thanks,

Fletch

MAGE was some add-on for GFA. A bunch of pre-made routines to handle game making and the like. I think it might of shipped with GFA in the box (editor only), but minus the compiler? Not exactly sure, but MAGE itself was not from the same company as GFA. I have it somewhere, box and all.

Lonny,

Yeah, I think you're right. I remember trying to program with it and being completely lost. I never really got past structured basic and anything without line numbers to this day confuses the hell out of me. So I put it back in the box.

I think its probably remained in its somewhat pristine condition in my parents attic if they haven't tossed it by now. Next time I'm there I'll look for it.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Fletch

Thanks,

Fletch

MAGE was some add-on for GFA. A bunch of pre-made routines to handle game making and the like. I think it might of shipped with GFA in the box (editor only), but minus the compiler? Not exactly sure, but MAGE itself was not from the same company as GFA. I have it somewhere, box and all.

• 6 years later...

If anyone has a copy they could archive and post, I'd love to have it,

just for the sheer fun of it. :)

I found it on my HD with the .st extension. Now, it says 12-10-1999, which is the last time I really used the Atari ST before cleaning it last week. So I have completely forgotten what .st files are. Are they like zip/arc compressed files? If yes, how do we open them?

• Like 1

OK, bear with me since I haven't used ST emulation in 15 years or so (I used to use Pacifist and Tosbox). Just downloaded Hatari. I didn't read any instrucktions, so I'm just doing guess-work. I set the settings to Atari 1040 STe, 8 mhz, 68000, and left Falcon DSP to None. Under "CPU & system parameters" everything is checked except "Real time clock emulation". Please tell me if that is ok so far.

Now, I set the default floppy disk image directory to the path with my .st files and roms. Under Drive A, I click browse, load the .st file, and hit ok. Then back to Main menu and ok once more. Once again, please tell me if you see something I did wrong.

Well, I double click Disk A and nothing happens. I even highlighted it and hit Open. Still no contents are shown. Please help, I really want to try this. :(

OK, bear with me since I haven't used ST emulation in 15 years or so (I used to use Pacifist and Tosbox). Just downloaded Hatari. I didn't read any instrucktions, so I'm just doing guess-work. I set the settings to Atari 1040 STe, 8 mhz, 68000, and left Falcon DSP to None. Under "CPU & system parameters" everything is checked except "Real time clock emulation". Please tell me if that is ok so far.

Now, I set the default floppy disk image directory to the path with my .st files and roms. Under Drive A, I click browse, load the .st file, and hit ok. Then back to Main menu and ok once more. Once again, please tell me if you see something I did wrong.

Well, I double click Disk A and nothing happens. I even highlighted it and hit Open. Still no contents are shown. Please help, I really want to try this. :(

Try choosing COLD RESET from the EMULATOR menu.

Here's what works for me. Launch Hatari. Choose INSERT DISK A. Select the .ST or .MSA file. Then double click on the A icon in GEM.

I don't have that status bar option on top like you do. All I have is the option to press F12, which let's me eject and browse a floppy. Loading the .st file does nothing. :(

I had no luck with it and I use Hatari all the time. It appears to look like a disk image in a hex editor, yet it does not work. I assume its corrupted somehow.

I feared that, because I had several others I wanted to load as well. House of the Rising Sun was an old favorite also in .st format that didn't run either. The only one that worked was Dungeon Master on .st format, which I just ran right before you replied.

I know I have these all on an old backup DVD. Perhaps I saved it before it got corrupted. I'll look on Sunday.

Ah MAGE, I remember it well. It was Made by Majicsoft in about 95 or so (Maybe later, I'm not sure) I actually did some music for one of their ST games back then called NERTz. Written by a guy named John Ronnander in my hometown of Medford Oregon. MAGE was Actually a pretty cool little kit. Dave Munsie (Who I think Wrote MAGE, IIRC) did some cool Classic Arcade ports for the ST using the MAGE software. I specifically remember "Kid Kong", a donkey kong clone being pretty decent.

Edited by Kjmann
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Ah MAGE, I remember it well. It was Made by Majicsoft in about 95 or so (Maybe later, I'm not sure) I actually did some music for one of their ST games back then called NERTz. Written by a guy named John Ronnander in my hometown of Medford Oregon. MAGE was Actually a pretty cool little kit. Dave Munsie (Who I think Wrote MAGE, IIRC) did some cool Classic Arcade ports for the ST using the MAGE software. I specifically remember "Kid Kong", a donkey kong clone being pretty decent.

Kid Kong was great. Oh how I can't wait for my Ultrasatan to arrive in the mail. :)

• 2 months later...

I have found the original "Mage Demo" disk that I downloaded in the mid-90's from a BBS on a floppy disk, with my game included. I created the spites myself, but the music is certainly not from me. I don't remember if I created the background, but probably not. I have attached the files and zipped them up. Click "DEMOGAME.PRG" to play my game, which is circa 1994. I'm sure you will find some of the enemies rather interesting. :)

Of course, this isn't about me and my game, so click "CHARDEMO.PRG" to load "DEMOGAME.SP1" and you will see all of the sprites that I created. Just clear them. It's probably the most simple way to create games that I have ever seen. "ANIMDEMO.PRG" and "MAPDEMO.PRG" also change movements and the direction of the game. It's much, much easier than the full version, and no instructions are necessary, although they are included. Anyway, enjoy!

MAGEDEMO.ZIP

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...