IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

After 10 years in making, I finally finished Pac-Man Collection today (way ahead the projected release date of 2011). The game will now enter beta testing, which should take two more months. That means that PMC will probably be available in time for Christmas. The package for the game had been printed early this year, the cases and PCBs are also already stocked, so the finished game image was the only missing piece of the puzzle.

In case someone still doesn’t know, Pac-Man Collection is a collection of Pac-Man arcade games for the ColecoVision, all inside a single 128KB cartridge. Included are Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man. The CV versions run as close to the original games as possible for a port without going 100% emulation. PMC includes all the arcade features, tricks, mazes, intermissions, animations, bugs, easter eggs, and you can even use the same patterns you used in the arcades to clean the mazes. PLUS, you still get a few surprises. [modesty OFF]I can say that, you aren’t going to find a more faithful rendition of both games (gameplay wise) on any classic video game system, period[modesty ON].

I would like to take the chance to thank everybody involved in making the game, Jess Ragan for creating the delightful manual text, Dale Crum, such a talented artist, for creating the whole package and of course Luc, for coordinating the whole project, keeping everybody on schedule (expect me), keeping me motivated during the hard and bad times and for keeping Opcode Games alive. And of course everybody here for all the comments and nice words during all those years. Did I forget someone? Oh, sure, the beta testers, who will now have the difficult mission of playing the game for hours on end.

Now, before you try to contact us about the game, I would like to ask everybody to wait for an official announcement from Luc (pixelboy). Luc is now the new Opcode Games owner, and he is responsible for game distribution, so please wait for his announcement. While no official announcement is made, this game is still considered to be under development, so no pre-orders will be accepted.

Thanks everybody, I love all you guys [join Luc dancing on the ceiling]...

Eduardo

Wow! I sit here at the keyboard and don't know what to say!.

This was unexpected... but is GREAT news!! Thanks Eduardo and thanks to Luc and everyone else involved. I been waiting for this game for around 5-6+ years or so! Can't wait to play the game.

Hey Eduardo - now you need to change your footer... you are no longer 'Currently working on Pac-Man Collection.' Let the next project begin :)

[modesty OFF]I can say that, you aren’t going to find a more faithful rendition of both games (gameplay wise) on any classic video game system, period[modesty ON].

Well, the NES versions are pretty close, although I admit I never actually took the time to compare them to the arcade games... ;)

Now, before you try to contact us about the game, I would like to ask everybody to wait for an official announcement from Luc (pixelboy). Luc is now the new Opcode Games owner, and he is responsible for game distribution, so please wait for his announcement. While no official announcement is made, this game is still considered to be under development, so no pre-orders will be accepted.

Actually, the game can still be considered under development. The "testable" part of the software is practically done, so we can indeed go ahead with beta-testing, but Eduardo also asked a friend to compose a custom tune for the game-select title screen, and we're hoping that this friend will come through for us before the end of October. So the software will only be truly complete once the title screen has some music and sound effects.

For now, I'd like to join in and congratulate you for a job superbly done, Eduardo! :D

We have decided for the prolonged beta testing so that we don't face the risk of another bug fiasco like what happened with Magical Tree. That's why we will have 6 people playing the game for two months to make sure that the final game will be completely bug-free.

Here is some of the things I have included with Pac-Man Collection:

- The new title screen allows game selection and configuration of the same DIP switches found in the arcade games (difficulty, lives, ghost names, etc)

- Pac-Man available in Japanese (Puck-Man) and US versions (or, if you prefer, Namco or Midway versions). US version is default

- All introdutions and intermissions are included with all games

- Pause key available with all games

- 256th maze bug included in Pac-Man

- 141st maze bug included in Ms Pac-Man

- Secret "Made by Namco" screen included with all games

- Counting the two Pac-Man verions, you get four Pac-Man series games inside a single 128KB CV cartridge

Eduardo

Great news Eduardo!

This may just complete my life. I'm having a hard time imagining things getting any better than this! :)

Ok, that's somewhat exaggerated, but I'm still thrilled! This is the best news I've seen on a Sunday afternoon in quite some time! Thanks to the whole OpCode team for sticking with it and getting this to market!