IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

Eduardo-

Looks Fantastic! Glad you were able to finish this game, after all the time and effort you put in! I haven't been on AtariAge a whole lot lately (busy with baby # 2 now) but I'm glad to see everything coming along on this title, finally.

I'm sure Luc will have his hands full when this is finally ready for distribution, but from past dealings with him both before and after taking over OPCODE I know he is more than up to the task, and that the game is in good hands.

Now, to explain to my Wife why she won't be getting anything for Christmas...

Eduardo-

Looks Fantastic! Glad you were able to finish this game, after all the time and effort you put in! I haven't been on AtariAge a whole lot lately (busy with baby # 2 now) but I'm glad to see everything coming along on this title, finally.

I'm sure Luc will have his hands full when this is finally ready for distribution, but from past dealings with him both before and after taking over OPCODE I know he is more than up to the task, and that the game is in good hands.

Now, to explain to my Wife why she won't be getting anything for Christmas...

Thanks a lot. We are now halfway in the beta testing schedule. Testers should get a new build in a couple of weeks, actually a release candidate. Beta testing should be over by early December. It's still quite possible that the game gets released in time for Christmas...

BTW, congratulations on baby # 2. :)

Eduardo

Just to let you guys know, I wrapped work on Pac-Man Collection today. That means all bugs and improvements that were found/suggested during phase 1 of beta testing have been corrected or implemented. One of the main "improvements" included in the new build (now released candidate 1) is a surprise opening tune created by one of the best musicians in the MSX scene (and now also in the CV scene), _Wolf. I am not sure if I shouldn't tell you guys that, but just now, seeing the game in motion, and hearing the opening tune, I almost shed a tear (almost)... :)

Beta testing phase 2 starts next week, and from now on it's just bug correction (hopefully none will be found)...

It would be nice to look at it on an emulator - the youtube video makes it look really flickery.

Are you using 2 coleco sprites for each monster in sequence, or all monster bodies, and all monster eyes

Yes, I used 2 sprites per ghosts. The only emulator capable of running Pac-Man Collection is BlueMSX (because of the MegaCart emulation), and I can tell you (and Luc can probably confirm that), BlueMSX doesn't make PMC justice either. BlueMSX is excellent, the best CV emulator out there, but it isn't that smooth, at least not in my machine (an PC Intel 2.2GHz with 2GB of RAM). The game doesn't run as smoothly as on a real CV, and the sprites don't flick as fast as they should. I can tell you, the flicker effect in a real CV is so fast that the sprites look "interlaced" most the time, not vanished. With all the ghosts in a same scanline, each ghost is guaranteed to display at 30Hz, which corresponds to a field of an interlaced frame. In this case all four ghosts will be shown in a frame, though half will be missing the odd lines and half will be missing the even lines. But since the even and odd lines are the same (because the CV uses non-interlaced resolution), you get to see all ghost on each frame, they just don't very "solid". Only when we have all the ghosts plus Pac-Man or the fruit in the same scanline is that you start to get frames with a missing character. In the worst case (with all 6 characters in the same scanline) each sprite will be displayed 20 times a second, or 2 out of 3 frames.

I will try to produce a better video of Pac-Man Collection, at a correct 60Hz and post somewhere, even if it isn't youtube.

Eduardo

It would be nice to look at it on an emulator - the youtube video makes it look really flickery.

Are you using 2 coleco sprites for each monster in sequence, or all monster bodies, and all monster eyes

Yes, I used 2 sprites per ghosts. The only emulator capable of running Pac-Man Collection is BlueMSX (because of the MegaCart emulation), and I can tell you (and Luc can probably confirm that), BlueMSX doesn't make PMC justice either. BlueMSX is excellent, the best CV emulator out there, but it isn't that smooth, at least not in my machine (an PC Intel 2.2GHz with 2GB of RAM). The game doesn't run as smoothly as on a real CV, and the sprites don't flick as fast as they should. I can tell you, the flicker effect in a real CV is so fast that the sprites look "interlaced" most the time, not vanished.

I can confirm this. The flicker is really quite fast and smooth-looking on a real TV screen. So smooth in fact that you probably won't notice it all that much while you're playing. Only at the start of a level, when all the ghosts are in the central chamber, does the flicker get noticeable. Eduardo did a great job with his flicker engine. On a real TV screen, no ghost ever disappears entirely, except in extreme circumstances which are very rare. :)

I will try to produce a better video of Pac-Man Collection, at a correct 60Hz and post somewhere, even if it isn't youtube.

Perhaps just filming straight from the TV screen, preferably in the evening when there's no sunlight... ;)

Ok, here is video of Pac-Man (US version, level 1) that better demonstrate the sprite flicker effect. It seems like Youtube removed a few frames from this new clip too, the original version was slightly better. Anyway it's still much closer to what you are going to see when playing the real game (compared to the first video posted by Jess).

Enjoy! Tomorrow I will post another video... :)

Edit: Ok, a second video, now showing the opening and option screen.

Edited by opcode

You wound me to the quick, sir. As I told you in a PM, I'll try uploading the video to Revver. That might fix the problem, but it may have more to do with the DVR I used to record the footage than the quality of the YouTube video.

Hi Jess,

I didn't mean to offend you. Of course your video is a lot funnier to watch, production values are incomparably superior. Mine has no voice over, no nice video transitions, etc. But the bad flickering in your video bothered me the instant I first saw it, because as I player I would be reluctant to play a game flickering as badly as that I was seeing. I didn’t want to mean that was your fault or anything. My intention was just to give people a better idea of how the sprite flickering would look in the real game, just that.

Please forgive me if I said/did something rude. I swear it wasn't my intention; I will try to be more careful in the future. You know that I have the deepest respect and admiration for your work and all the effort you have put on our projects during the years. And I am a big fan of ThegameroomBlitz.

Gosh, I really have a problem dealing with people. It seems like every time I post someone from the Opcode team get mad on me... Sorry guys… :(

I was reading an old Electronic Fun magazine from April 1983. There was a section with reader questions and I thought this question and response deserved to be placed in this thread. It was from a reader who was so excited about his new Colecovision, but wanted to know when they would come out with his all time favorites, Pac Man and Ms Pac Man. The response was appropriate for 1983, but since we know better, not for 2008! :D NEVER say NEVER!!

post-41-1225728429_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrRetroGamer

I was reading an old Electronic Fun magazine from April 1983. There was a section with reader questions and I thought this question and response deserved to be placed in this thread. It was from a reader who was so excited about his new Colecovision, but wanted to know when they would come out with his all time favorites, Pac Man and Ms Pac Man. The response was appropriate for 1983, but since we know better, not for 2008! :D NEVER say NEVER!!

LOL! :D

If you have the scans of the entire magazine, please let me know.

And about the response about seeing Pacman for the ColecoVision, well, Atarisoft did one back in the 80s but didn't released it, and I suppose Miss Pacman was planned too based on the success of the Pacman conversion. So, the real answer should be "appropriate for 1983, but since we know better, not for 1984 and later".

Opcode, I just saw those two YouTube samples, and I still can't believe it. I did not think the Space Invaders Collection could be beat, but you've done it. This game blows the NES version out of the water.

When can we see a sample of Ms. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus?

Just as important is the fact that you've managed to greatly reduce the flicker problem. Imagine if Bump `N Jump or Burgertime used that technique. This is yet another example of what the CV was capable of in capable hands.

I also haven't heard that dumb song in years. A perfect touch!

Oh, wait- there it is, by Newcoleco. That's unbelievable!

You know, the most fascinating thing is how Opcode managed to give the appearance of the CV being able to show more colors and shades than it actually can. Look at the main title screen.

As for the flickering- a very minor issue. Besides, the 5200 version had that problem, too, and choppier motion besides.

Edited by CV Gus

Opcode, I just saw those two YouTube samples, and I still can't believe it. I did not think the Space Invaders Collection could be beat, but you've done it. This game blows the NES version out of the water.

When can we see a sample of Ms. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus?

Soon. I need to find some free time to create the videos. :)

Well, I just did see Ms. Pac-Man, courtesy of newcoleco. Opcode, your Pac-Man is better than the Atarisoft version, and it has more of that arcade "feel" or essence than the NES version. Just looking at it makes you want to play it!

And yes, it is better than the Dreamcast version. Very much so.

Another thing that fascinates me is the way you handled the mazes in Ms. Pac-Man. Now that I know how a CV presents on-screen images, it's even more astonishing.

It's also fun to compare it to the Atari 5200 version (which was anything but a letdown, then or now).

The 5200 has multi-colored mazes, but yours are precise arcade-proportioned. Also, the numbers of dots are exact, too. Even the 7800 version cannot make that claim.

By the way- pertaining to the flickering on the Youtube version- the human eye cannot usually detect changing images more quickly than 12 times/second, so if it's 30 times/second, it shouldn't be really noticeable at all.

Just what do you have in store for the future? (SNNNAAAAAAAAAPPPP JAAAAACKKKKKKK........). :twisted::D

By the by, I answered your DP mailing. Absolutely.

Edited by CV Gus

Another thing that fascinates me is the way you handled the mazes in Ms. Pac-Man. Now that I know how a CV presents on-screen images, it's even more astonishing.

You can partially thank me for that one. At one point, the maze walls were completely solid-looking in Ms Pac-Man. Eduardo changed those graphics after I showed him a mockup with semi-hollow walls (more similar to the arcade game), which is what we have now in the final version. :)

His DP-what-now? :?

Well, I just did see Ms. Pac-Man, courtesy of newcoleco.

Actually I believe that video was created by Jess. I recommend everybody to check it, as well as Jess' other videos. Very entertaining stuff.

You can partially thank me for that one. At one point, the maze walls were completely solid-looking in Ms Pac-Man. Eduardo changed those graphics after I showed him a mockup with semi-hollow walls (more similar to the arcade game), which is what we have now in the final version. :)

That's true, Pixelboy's graphics worked pretty well, mainly when you see it in a TV screen.

His DP-what-now? :?

I was going to ask the same thing... :?

Eduardo