IGNORED

what were your first game(s) bought for your A8

carmel_andrews

My parents bought us (me and 2 younger brothers) a 16k 400, 410 for Xmas

They also bought Missile Command, Invaders and Asteroids on Cart (4 player Asteroids used to get loads of play)

And Preppie! on cassette

after that we found a few other kids at school that we could *swap* games with :ahoy:

I saw Atari 800 running Star Raiders ... Next day ... I go back to store and buy the system (800, 810, 410, 850, some games)
Same here. When I first saw Star Raiders on an Atari 800 in the fall of 1980, I knew I had to have one, but not for $1000.

That Christmas, Atari had a promo for their cassette- and cart-based Education System. You could get an 8K 400, a 410, the cart, and some tapes for $400 or $500. But I managed to trade the Edu cart and tapes for a Star Raiders cart. Happy Christmas!

Edited by ClausB

I think my first few games were disk games: Pacific Coast Highway, Preppie II, Canyon Climber, Apple Panic, and Choplifter. I played those millions of times until we could afford more, which included Shamus, Bandits, David's Midnight Magic, and Star League Baseball :) . We then (my brother and I) played those millions of times.

That Christmas, Atari had a promo for their cassette- and cart-based Education System. You could get an 8K 400, a 410, the cart, and some tapes for $400 or $500. But I managed to trade the Edu cart and tapes for a Star Raiders cart. Happy Christmas!

That must have been the same promo my parents got me because I had the exact same setup and got it around Christmas 1980.

Tempest

Listed my "first" ever A8 games earlier (cassette based)...

My 1st disk based games once I got the 1050 a few years l8r were Karateka (which had a copy of SynCalc on side 2 of it for some reason), and Temple of Apshai Trilogy...

Edited by dwhyte

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas Day, 1984. A 13 yr old surveys the gifts around the tree and tries to act cool.

He spies one small cassette shaped package... a computer game? - cool! - he opens it... just what he asked for... Submarine Commander from Thorn EMI.

Except one small problem. It's not for the VIC-20, it's for the Atari 400/800/600XL/800XL with 32K.

His Dad acts confused. "Sorry Son.. I didn't know... Leave it on the side and I will try to exchange it when the shops re-open next week."

Oh well. Nice try Dad. The 13 yr old moves onto a larger box.... A chemistry set? A chess board?

... it was an Atari 800XL.

There was no Atari 1010 cassette drive, but honestly I didn't care. I was happy typing in sample programs from the tiny Atari BASIC manual for a whole week while I waited for a tape drive to be shipped from Silica Shop in Sidcup, Kent.

Great thread Carmel, Cheers.

Graham

I think my first games were Donkey Kong and Pole Position on loose carts sold at a discount at Lechemere. I rememer the price for boxed carts was really high for A8 carts vs. the 2600. Something like $44.95 or such. By that point most 2600 titles were less than half that. After all the money spent on the 1200XL it was hard to convince my parents to pony up money for games.

Hey, I had that one, just no packaging thats all

Crypts of TERROR!

On cassette, InHome software.

never finished it.. My brother made a recording where he did a very good "Welcome... To.. Crypts.... Of... TerrrroorrRRrrrr" and built the story around the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Shortly after my parents bought us the 800, they got "The Entertainer" kit which included Star Raiders, Missile Command, and two joysticks (if I remember correctly) and "The Programmer" which included Atari Basic and a 410. I think this was all in about 1983 or so. They were between the C64 and the 800 because the Apple II stuff was so expensive. Crazy. I owe them a lot, though, because I still use things I learned on the Atari 8-bit while creating solutions in my current job.