IGNORED

Mame mouse settings

Zoyx

Does the game really take that much motion on the track ball? I've used my Logitech Marble Mouse (yup, it's really a trackball) for Reactor, and it seems like small movements work best there. Couldn't tell ya what the settings are though. I might just have to load it up for a little while...

Does the game really take that much motion on the track ball? I've used my Logitech Marble Mouse (yup, it's really a trackball) for Reactor, and it seems like small movements work best there. Couldn't tell ya what the settings are though. I might just have to load it up for a little while...

Playing in the arcade game, I can take a full swipe and not worry about freaky things happening. Taking a full swipe on the same track ball hooked up to windows/mame, the marble will actually go the opposite direction. It adds one more thing to worry about when playing the game.

When playing a game like Millipede or Crystal Castle, this isn't as much of a problem. You rarely make full swipes in those games.

If you want the real arcade feel, I'd suggest building a real arcade trackball. A trackball works on the same principle as a computer mouse, using encoder wheels to detect movement. Seems like if you took a trackball out of a scrapped arcade machine, you would be able to adapt it for use with a computer with a little effort and a leftover ball mouse.

I've done something similar using a ball mouse, an old joystick, and some nuts and bolts I bought at a hardware store, combining these parts to create my own arcade-style spinner. It took a while (the hardest part was removing the old joystick from the housing), but it was ultimately worth the effort. I can't imagine playing Typhoon 2001 with anything else!

Edited by Jess Ragan

I am using an arcade track ball. I took the Happ track ball I have, and hooked it up to the marble madness machine I owned for awhile. Worked better than the arcade controller because the rollers were in better condition. The arcade machine apparently also used Happ Track balls... just a different interface.

This is a driver/software problem. I have the right hardware.

• 6 months later...

If you're spinning it as hard as you can and it's going in the wrong direction it sounds like backspin. First, I would adjust the Windows mouse poll rate from 125 Hz to 500 Hz. You can do this with the following utility:

Mouserate Switcher

If you still have backspin after adjusting the poll rate, turn down the sensitivity in MAME. It will take some trial and error but you should be able to find the right sensitivity. Good luck!

If you're spinning it as hard as you can and it's going in the wrong direction it sounds like backspin. First, I would adjust the Windows mouse poll rate from 125 Hz to 500 Hz. You can do this with the following utility:

Mouserate Switcher

If you still have backspin after adjusting the poll rate, turn down the sensitivity in MAME. It will take some trial and error but you should be able to find the right sensitivity. Good luck!

You may be on to something, but that app is for XP/2000. I'll have to find a Vista way of doing it. This shows promise... http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=8561

Mouserate Switcher

You may be on to something, but that app is for XP/2000. I'll have to find a Vista way of doing it. This shows promise... http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=8561

Here's a tutorial for Vista:

http://mas0ne.servegame.com/mousepolling_rate_vista

{sigh} Instructions require me to unplug and plug in the mouse. This is inside of my mame cabinet, which means about ten screws. Nothing's easy is it. I'll try this when I am less grouchy.

Hack complete! The polling rate is up to 1000hz, and mame Marble Madness now works nearly arcade-like. You are my hero. Thanks!

There is a bug... for some reason I can't hook up a second Happ track ball for two player Marble Madness. Vista comes up with and error loading the driver. If I hook up a Logitech mouse, no problem. I guess hacking the USB driver caused this. Problem for another day.