IGNORED

Recordings of cassette loader music?

bani

Thanks to Tigerduck, I now have a recording of the Zeppelin loader music. He recorded it in full mono, still you can hear the (data) loading noise and I was unable to remove that. Evil me, I converted the mono sound into either pseudo stereo (?) or dual mono (?), so you can hear the audio on the left and right channels. Maybe somebody out there has some good filters available to remove white noise as well as the (data) loading noise ?!?

The original WAV has a size of approx. 90MB (and my conversion also), too large to upload here. But here is the MP3 (with 224 kbit) at least...

Zeppelin_loader_music.zip

1 hour ago, xxl said:

I am curious if the technique will go so far that it will be possible to recover the program from the background (mono) in this recording: D (I know that it is available)

I think this is possible and will test it soon (burn the WAV onto CD, playback the CD with my Hifi system whic is connected to the 1010 with a tape adapter). But I am not sure if the recording level of the data is loud enough.

My first attempt at crosstalk removal and denoising of Zeppelin and Dimension X.

Discovered something interesting during the processing. After I removed the crosstalk and cleaned it up a bit, I found that the music sounded like it was fed into the cassette recording from a TV, there was all the classic audio hum and artifacts you would hear on a cheap VHS tape. I removed those artifacts as well.

dimension_x_denoised.mp3 zeppelin_denoised.mp3

Edited by bani
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 11:53 PM, bani said:

My first attempt at crosstalk removal and denoising of Zeppelin and Dimension X.

Discovered something interesting during the processing. After I removed the crosstalk and cleaned it up a bit, I found that the music sounded like it was fed into the cassette recording from a TV, there was all the classic audio hum and artifacts you would hear on a cheap VHS tape. I removed those artifacts as well.

dimension_x_denoised.mp3 2.01 MB · 8 downloads zeppelin_denoised.mp3 4.09 MB · 8 downloads

There's a nice improvement on the ending part. The first part you can still hear the data tones when the music is high pitched or dynamic.

Makes me wonder if Synapse tried to write a music loader for Dimension X, then gave up and put the music they were going to use on tape instead. It'd be interesting if someone could recreate that first musical part on a real Atari... with a remix it'd make a near perfect Dimension X cassette.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, eccofonic said:

Makes me wonder if Synapse tried to write a music loader for Dimension X, then gave up and put the music they were going to use on tape instead. It'd be interesting if someone could recreate that first musical part on a real Atari... with a remix it'd make a near perfect Dimension X cassette.

the music doesn't sound like pokey to me at all. and the second song - maple leaf rag -- is clearly FM synthesis. not something pokey could do. the first song looks like modulated triangle wave, again not really a pokey sound.