IGNORED

Get your type-in programs here!

NuY

As discussed in another topic, here are disk images for some stuff I've typed in from various sources. This post will be updated as and when I finish new stuff.

Games For The Atari and The Musical Atari both use MyPicoDOS to boot, and the disk images are MYDOS double density. Of course, individual files can be pulled off without any problem by booting to MYDOS.

The Atari User games disks use my own little menu program that autoboots. These disks use SpartaDOS, and as such, the menu program uses a couple of SpartaDOS functions from Basic. The original programs as printed in the magazine are untouched however.

On the AU disks, there are also files that are not referenced in the menu program. These will be ancillary files, such as source for a game that ends up as a XEX, and other such things. I've left them on the disk for completeness.

With the menu program, it's quite simple to use; simply press the letter (A-Z) of the game you wish to load. Press space to display the next page of games (if any) and press Control and the letter of the game to view instructions for that game (if any). The program was entirely written by me with the exception of some 80 column display code that was used from an issue of Atari User. This is used to display the instructions. I'm not a fantastic programmer, but the program is fairly compact, neat and simplistic.

With all that said, here are the images. Enjoy!

Atari_User_Games_Disk_1.zip

Atari_User_Games_Disk_2.zip

Atari_User_Games_Disk_3.zip

Atari_User_Games_Disk_4.zip

Games_For_Your_Atari__Paul_Bunn_.zip

The_Musical_Atari.zip

Wow - Thanks!!! That's a whole lot of work.

The Atari User disks really bring back some great memories for me. I remember my Dad and I typing in many of those. He would read them out of the magazine whilst I typed. We'd sit there, often while it got dark, save the listing to tape on my trusty 1010 and then spend the next little while finding all out mistakes. Once they published Get-It-Right things got a bit easier though :)

Thanks NuY :-D

• 3 months later...

..And after a lengthy delay, here's the next installment. All programs (mostly games) from a book published in the UK called "Best of PCW Software for the Atari XL". PCW was/is a magazine published in the UK (it stands for Personal Computing Weekly), and is still being published today, although the focus isn't on Atari anymore :)

According to the book, most of the material in here is republished from some of the magazines, although some programs are actually conversions from other 8-bit machines. There's some good stuff in here, the highlights for me being Omniopoly, which is a Monopoly clone, even down to the street names and cards all being correct although only supporting two players; Rocket Attack is a simple code guessing game, but uses SAM (Software Automatic Mouth) for some interesting sound effects; and Dual Display Utility which overlays a normal text mode screen over a graphics screen (as mentioned previously, I'm no expert programmer so all I know is that it's flipping the two displays via a DLI/VBI :)).

I'm currently working on a UK published text adventure book, as well as finishing Atari User off, and will post them when done.

The disk images as before, are in SpartaDOS format, need Basic to boot in an emulator, and use my little menu program

Disk images in post #1.

Enjoy!

Edit: Turns out I can't actually edit the first post... Attached to this one.

Best_Of_PCW_Software_For_The_Atari_XL_Disk_1.zip

Best_Of_PCW_Software_For_The_Atari_XL_Disk_2.zip

Edited by NuY

• 2 years later...

I'll post the programs from The Creative Atari in a couple of days.

Allan

Bump - due to some thoughtful person pointing to this thread from a similar one.

It's been a couple of days. How 'bout them Creative Atari programs?

I'll post the programs from The Creative Atari in a couple of days.

Allan

Bump - due to some thoughtful person pointing to this thread from a similar one.

It's been a couple of days. How 'bout them Creative Atari programs?

There all in the link below. I guess I forgot about this. :)

http://www.atariarchives.org/creativeatari/software.php

Allan

Edited by Allan

• 7 months later...

Dual Display Utility which overlays a normal text mode screen over a graphics screen (as mentioned previously, I'm no expert programmer so all I know is that it's flipping the two displays via a DLI/VBI :)).

That brings back some wonderful memories, the sheer thrill at having my first program published in a magazine. I had written it on my uncle's Atari 800 and sent it off to PCW. I think they acknowledged intention to publish but quite a few issues went by with no sign of it. I had just started college and one day I picked up the latest copy of the magazine to read on the train and there it was - not only published but progam of the month as well. I was paid £50 per published page plus £150 for program of the month - fantastic for a student and it brought me an Atari 400 of my own. I ended up getting royalties when they published it in the Best Of book, for publishing in some foriegn magazines (I never knew which magazines) and even when they got someone to write a C64 version. Fun times.

- Paul

• Like 1

Dual Display Utility which overlays a normal text mode screen over a graphics screen (as mentioned previously, I'm no expert programmer so all I know is that it's flipping the two displays via a DLI/VBI :)).

That brings back some wonderful memories, the sheer thrill at having my first program published in a magazine. I had written it on my uncle's Atari 800 and sent it off to PCW. I think they acknowledged intention to publish but quite a few issues went by with no sign of it. I had just started college and one day I picked up the latest copy of the magazine to read on the train and there it was - not only published but progam of the month as well. I was paid £50 per published page plus £150 for program of the month - fantastic for a student and it brought me an Atari 400 of my own. I ended up getting royalties when they published it in the Best Of book, for publishing in some foriegn magazines (I never knew which magazines) and even when they got someone to write a C64 version. Fun times.

- Paul

Nice to see you on here Paul, Spent many a happy hour typing in and playing some of your games in P6/NAU :)

Nice to see you on here Paul, Spent many a happy hour typing in and playing some of your games in P6/NAU :)

Thanks NuY, I had a lot of fun learning to program on the 8-bit and it was always great when Les would publish something. A chance visit here a couple of months ago and I was blown away by what is being done nowadays and it has inspired me to get my Atari down from the loft.

Ahh, I remember the days of typing in programs and saving to tape, then disk. For me it was the american magazines Antic and Analog mostly. Both of them had little line checking programs you would type or load first, then if you typed in the line of code correctly, it would display an alpha-numeric value that had to match the corrosponding one in the magazine. Between this and one semester of BASIC programming in highschool I did a lot of personal mods to the type-ins. Though all my old disks with those modded type-ins are long since lost.

But, I still have most of the original magazines. Maybe I'll type them all in and post the disk images too...

The question is are ANTIC and ANALOG magazine disks somewhere online? Becuase most of those type-in games were available on disk for a disk subscription, plus bonus programs! But I don't know if they did that monthly disk since the beginning, so maybe there are some type-ins out there that never made it to a monthly disk?

Ahh, I remember the days of typing in programs and saving to tape, then disk. For me it was the american magazines Antic and Analog mostly. Both of them had little line checking programs you would type or load first, then if you typed in the line of code correctly, it would display an alpha-numeric value that had to match the corrosponding one in the magazine. Between this and one semester of BASIC programming in highschool I did a lot of personal mods to the type-ins. Though all my old disks with those modded type-ins are long since lost.

But, I still have most of the original magazines. Maybe I'll type them all in and post the disk images too...

The question is are ANTIC and ANALOG magazine disks somewhere online? Becuase most of those type-in games were available on disk for a disk subscription, plus bonus programs! But I don't know if they did that monthly disk since the beginning, so maybe there are some type-ins out there that never made it to a monthly disk?

Yes, there are torrents for Antic, ANALOG and 96 A8 books. I seeded them for quite a while,

but my grandkids needed the bandwidth. I was usually the only seed, I think.

You can Google the piratebay torrents. Here's a folder with the three torrent files.

The Antic was 9 gigs, ANALOG 7 gigs and Atari books, like 5 gigs, if I remember.

I just checked. Antic comes on three disks and ANALOG on two DVD disks and

96 books fit on on one DVD. A DVD-R holds about 4.7 gigs.

If you aren't familiar with torrents, you download a file sharing program, I use utorrent,

and then click on the torrent file and it will search it out and start downloading them.

It takes days to download 9, 7 and 5 gigs, then burn the files to DVDs, etc.

There's also Frank Kowatari (that is really his name) website with ANALOGs.

http://analog.katorlegaz.com has JPGs of every page of all 79 ANALOGs.

The torrents are PDFs and zipped .ATRs.

Atariage has posts by thumpnugget about PDFs and scans. I forget what else

he posted, probably about the torrents. Thumpnugget is the original person that

scanned the magazines to PDFs and dug up the accompanying disks.

Oh, I remember, Thumpnugget made DVDs of his work and presented them to

buy here. He did a professional job with his disks, nice labels on the disks, etc.

I don't think you can get his disks unless someone will make a copy for you.

Actually, Thumpnuggets PDFs and ATRs are what in the torrents.

ATARItorrents.zip

Edited by russg

• 4 weeks later...

Answer of old post on recent (Jan. 17, 2012) subject of ANALOG and Antic PDFs and ATRs.

Yes, there are torrents for Antic, ANALOG and 96 A8 books. I seeded them for quite a while,

but my grandkids needed the bandwidth. I was usually the only seed, I think.

You can Google the piratebay torrents. Here's a folder with the three torrent files.

The Antic was 9 gigs, ANALOG 7 gigs and Atari books, like 5 gigs, if I remember.

I just checked. Antic comes on three disks and ANALOG on two DVD disks and

96 books fit on on one DVD. A DVD-R holds about 4.7 gigs.

If you aren't familiar with torrents, you download a file sharing program, I use utorrent,

and then click on the torrent file and it will search it out and start downloading them.

It takes days to download 9, 7 and 5 gigs, then burn the files to DVDs, etc.

There's also Frank Kowatari (that is really his name) website with ANALOGs.

http://analog.katorlegaz.com has JPGs of every page of all 79 ANALOGs.

The torrents are PDFs and zipped .ATRs.

Atariage has posts by thumpnugget about PDFs and scans. I forget what else

he posted, probably about the torrents. Thumpnugget is the original person that

scanned the magazines to PDFs and dug up the accompanying disks.

Oh, I remember, Thumpnugget made DVDs of his work and presented them to

buy here. He did a professional job with his disks, nice labels on the disks, etc.

I don't think you can get his disks unless someone will make a copy for you.

Actually, Thumpnuggets PDFs and ATRs are what in the torrents.

ATARItorrents.zip

• 9 months later...

I have all of Atari User magazines, but didn't try most of its type-in games, because some listings are large to type. So thanks NuY for Atari User images. I tested and stored all of the games to my online library. There were other quality magazines around, but Atari User magazine is also interesting reading.