IGNORED

TRON Audio Channel Fading In and Out

Jacob Rose

Hey there,

You are in my neck of the woods....rather I'm in yours...

I would suggest checking 12 volts on the power supply board. Chances are the old high score battery has long since died and spilled its caustic contents on the voltage potentiameter on the board. You may be getting a pop when the amp is turned on, off, etc. If its cracklin' its better than being dead IMO.

I would also suggest rebuilding that power supply board just for kicks. Kits are here: http://arcadeshop.com/parts.htm

I know he sells upgrade kits to replace the original supply entirely with a modern one. I think he used to sell the rebuild kits for MCR power supply boards. Worth a call anyway (if you are not handy with a solder gun, the upgrade might be the better choice).

HTH,

Cassidy

You are in my neck of the woods....rather I'm in yours...

Yeah! I'd love to see your collection some time.

I would suggest checking 12 volts on the power supply board. Chances are the old high score battery has long since died and spilled its caustic contents on the voltage potentiameter on the board. You may be getting a pop when the amp is turned on, off, etc. If its cracklin' its better than being dead IMO.

You know, I have been meaning to replace the high score battery for its own sake -- I didn't know it could cause side-effects like this. I have a battery box, and was simply going to solder it in with two NiCd AAs inside as a replacement for the funky NiCd that came with the machine.

• 2 months later...

Hey Cassidy,

Per your recommendation, I bought Arcadeshop.com's MCR power supply kit and got it installed today over an extended lunch break (you may have noticed my rear end hanging out of the cab here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/cams/kitchencam.jpg).

I didn't use the snake-bite AC power connectors they included with the kit (no mention of them in the instructions...maybe they were for grounding, on second thought?! I'll email them and ask). I just soldered and bug-nutted two wires from a PC power cable between the new power supply and the main AC input for the cabinet (which I had already replaced, since my cab came without a ground prong...eep). I also couldn't get the little screws included for mounting the PSU to grab it, so I improvised the mounting.

The good news: it powered on with no trouble, and after beating the default 2000-pt high score, it saved the new #1 score and 1UP score through power-off and unplugging...w00t!

Only time will tell if the sound fades intermittently...

Thanks again!

Jacob

• 4 months later...