IGNORED

Apple II emulator

Kaz atarionline.pl

I am taking this thread out of the past... Would be nice to have the Emulator tested with Rapidus!

I just recently got a Rapidus installed into my 800XL (pal) and gave it a try. As already mentioned in this thread the emulator needs seperate CPU and ANTIC banking so I had to change the Extended RAM settings for my U1MB to "576KB Compyshop". With this setting it worked good with spy vs. spy. Speed is fine.

I had to use the keyboard instead of a joystick. So the question is: Does the emulator have joystick support?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2018 at 8:50 PM, MEtalGuy66 said:

What we need is an Apple IIgs emulator for the Rapidus+VBXE..

I came here looking for the same thing! 

So I recently got a IIGS, and was initially impressed by the case design, the expand-ability, etc.  But then I started running into random issues of games locking up, not being able to get the sound card to work correctly, etc.  And thought 'what t he hell, I have a faster 65c816 in my Rapidus, along with the VBXE, it'd be a faster system than my IIGS if I could emulate the software!  I guess everything should be there for a good emulation except maybe analog 2 button joysticks?  Not sure if the Stereo Pokey could correctly emulate the Mockingboard or not.  But otherwise an Apple IIGS emulator on a Rapidus+VBXE should be perfectly doable!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SOLVED (in part)

I would like to play Mystery House, one of the first adventure games to feature computer graphics, on my Atari.

It seems to work with files found on Atarionline but sometimes I get "B9FA ERROR : 08" when loading from disk.

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=C. Emulatory&tg=Apple II emulator#Apple II emulator

• 2 years later...

576k compy is reported working well, but the drive error rears it head a bit by more than one person. Does the emu handle 2 drives as is apple customary or just one? 5 second delay to swap disk can be difficulty

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 9/21/2008 at 4:27 PM, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

Everything on 8-bit Atari is possible. This time Piotr "Artax" Mejer proved that Atari can emulate Apple II with reasonable speed! You can read more about in Polish* here and download program (and few Apple games) here (version 0.8 ). Piotr is looking for people who can test and report bugs emulator on the real Atari (required 128KB) with DD disc drive. Enjoy this incredible piece of software.

* use a Google or Altavista online translation to get English text

---

Short manual:

1. Run emulator.

2. Put disc into disc drive.

3. Press START.

4. If you want to change disc in the disc drive wait about 5 seconds after last disc activity and press SELECT.

5. Press START again to get into emulator menu.

6. Press F7 on PC or be patient on real Atari :)

can not find manual on pliki, pliki not found...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

can not find manual on pliki, pliki not found...

Hi The Doctor!

The first publication about: https://atarionline.pl/1222025610

Some kind of manual here: https://atarionline.pl/1233882584

Software here: http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=C. Emulatory&tg=Apple II emulator

You can ask about project here: https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=19&page=1#Item_45

Picture of author on our meeting about vintage computers on Nov 2021: 

artax.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Some kind of manual" and google translate gave me this:

Apple II emulator:

After starting the emulator and inserting the game into the floppy disk drive, the emulation is started by pressing the START key. If you need to replace diskettes, wait 5 seconds from the last reading or press the SELECT key after replacement. Pressing the START key again takes you to the emulator options screen. On a PC, it is worth pressing F7 after the start, and on a real Atari, arm yourself with a lot of patience ...

Section 1 - describes the basic emulation parameters. The primary problem I ran into while writing the emulator was that the Apple II registers are referenced by reference. So there is no easy way to detect such a reference. The emulator has a built-in minidebugger that detects instructions in the code that may refer to registers and turns them into references to itself. These are the mythical hardware emulation points. The problem is that despite various security measures, he is sometimes overzealous, which breaks the code. The parameters in this section control the minidebugger.

BRUTE FORCE: the name is a bit unfortunate. When enabled, references to entire blocks of registers are detected, not just the first address in a block. Developers generally use literature data, so enabling is usually not needed, not to mention the fact that the number of bugs increases exponentially. Default: disabled.

DISK UPDATE: enables the analysis of read sectors of the floppy disk for references. Default: enabled.

VBL UPDATE: parses the 6502 commands pointed to by the VBL interrupt. It almost always works correctly. Default: enabled.

MIN LEVEL UPDATE: Each 6502 command is assigned a number from 0 to 7, which tells you how likely it is to be used in a hardware reference. The higher the number, the lower the probability. Additionally, the lit fourth bit (8) informs that it is a write command. Each block of registers is assigned two numbers informing in what range the values of the numbers of update commands referring to this block of registers are to be. The minimum level specified in this option forces the increase of the lower ranges of these numbers for all blocks of registers. Default: 1, i.e. all commands.

MAX LEVEL UPDATE: limits upper update ranges for register blocks. Shrinking may help if the emulated program fails. Default: C which is all commands including write commands.

Pressing the OPTION key during emulation disables the DISK UPDATE option and updates the entire Apple II memory. This can be useful for multi-disk programs.

Section 2 - graphics emulation parameters.

GRAPHICS: emulation mode:
0 - five-color (blue replaces violet)
1 - six-color interlaced (if someone's eyes haven't hurt for a long time)
2 – monochrome interlaced
Default: 0.

SPEED GRAPHICS: speed of graphics emulation in graphics lines per vertical interrupt (VBL). The higher the value, the slower the emulator works, but the graphics faster. Default: 6.

SPEED TEXT: same but for text modes. Much less taxing on the Atari processor. Default: 6 and this is generally sufficient.

Section3 - sound parameters.

SOUND VOLUME: sound volume. Setting a value greater than 0 causes minidebugger to handle sound. Therefore, if you want to turn on the sound after turning on the emulation, you need to set the volume higher than zero and press the OPTION key to update the program. Adjusting the volume, if we started the emulator with the sound already on, does not require such operations. Default:0.

SOUND MODE: sound handling mode.
0 - Apple native mode. Transfers sound register references directly to the loudspeaker. Because the emulator makes heavy use of interrupts - it wheezes a bit.
1 - mixed mode. For low frequencies native mode, for higher frequencies supported by generator. Sounds best to me.
2 - generator service. Sounds be very ... atari.
3 – same as 1, but generator distortion is also enabled. For some games.
4 - like 2 with distortions on.
Default: 1.

Section 4 - various other parameters.

IGNORE ERROR: enables some errors to be ignored, for example enabling low resolution graphics mode not implemented. It may help to run some programs. Default: disabled.

AUTOMATIC FLUSH: Disk support has built-in cache to improve operating speed. It is cleared five seconds after the last disk operation, allowing diskettes to be replaced. You can turn it off and run a manual flush each time by pressing SELECT during the emulation. This improves the speed of the disk system a bit. Default: enabled.

DISK BOOT: start floppy boot when the emulator starts. When turned off, the emulator goes to the monitor. For those who don't believe that this is a real Apple II emulator: after going to the monitor, press CTRL+B and ENTER and go! Default: enabled.

Section 5: - emulator procedures.

RESET OPTION: restores the default emulator options.
RESET APPLE: resets the emulated Apple II and allows the floppy to be rebooted.

Finally, some comments and advice from Piotr:

before you start testing whether an Apple program works under Piotrek's emulator, it is worth checking first whether it works under an emulator, eg AppleWin set to Apple][ classic mode. About 70% of programs may fail or go wrong.

an Apple II to Atari disk converter is available for the PC. Call:
     appata < apple_disk >.dsk < atari_disk >.atr
     The Apple-Atari disk converter version 0.9 is a complete makeshift. Don't be discouraged, Artax is working on his successor.

Apple Basic does not work on Piotr's emulator As the author writes "Unfortunately, this is a big problem. Language Card is a card that expands Apple's memory to full 64K. It replaces Apple's ROM with RAM, which under Apple DOS 3.2 and 3.3 is used to load Basic. Atari has no way to emulate this because the addresses D000-D7FF are occupied by registers. As I said, the emulator emulates Apple][ classic with 48KB of memory and Integer Basic"

the current disk cache holds 50 sectors, which is more than enough for the needs of the emulator. In fact, it is enough to cache the currently read cylinder, which is quite enough."

Apl2Emu.txt

• Like 1

• 1 year later...