IGNORED

Building a Sega Genesis Jukebox game switcher

the.golden.ax

Before I start, yes, I know that flash carts are easier.

My goal since, Sega Genesis Kiosks are hard to find, is to build one. The only part that needs a bit of help is the DS-16 or six game selector. I figure that six Genesis systems will need to die to give up their cartridge ports (unless anyone knows where to just buy them) unlike NES they don't seem to be for sale everywhere, and they are easy enough to desolder. I figure I can get a board made at one of those PCB per square inch places. The next trick is how to get the 74 pins on each of the ports to change. Since not much is known about doing this through the EXP port, I was planning to wire directly into the Genesis that is used. Some of the cartridge wires can be shared because they are not used. (see cart pinout I got from the web below this post) I figure that one or more IC's will need to be used in conjunction with the two wires from the reset button on the Genesis. The goal is to have six games in six slots. Press of one button and the unit resets and switches over to another cartridge (like a neo geo mvs). The question I have for anyone who knows about IC's, is there a family of IC's that will be able to handle all of the wires from the cart port and if so, can you help someone who doesn't know much about the use of them?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

AX

A01	GND		B01	?
A02	5v		B02	!HRST
A03	A08		B03	?
A04	A11		B04	A09
A05	A07		B05	A10
A06	A12		B06	A18
A07	A06		B07	A19
A08	A13		B08	A20
A09	A05		B09	A21
A10	A14		B10	A22
A11	A04		B11	A23
A12	A15		B12	Video
A13	A03		B13	Vsync
A14	A16		B14	HSync
A15	A02		B15	HS_CLK
A16	A17		B16	!C_OE
A17	A01		B17	!C_CE
A18	GND		B18	!AS
A19	D07		B19	CLK
A20	D00		B20	!DTACK
A21	D08		B21	?
A22	D06		B22	D15
A23	D01		B23	D14
A24	D09		B24	D13
A25	D05		B25	D12
A26	D02		B26	!LO_MEM
A27	D10		B27	!RST
A28	D04		B28	!LDS
A29	D03		B29	!UDSW
A30	D11		B30	!S_RST
A31	5v		B31	?
A32	GND		B32	!C_DTCT

Thinking on this for the past day I'm now wondering if this would just be easier to keep the machines alive and make the boards do the work, just switch the video and power with the press of a button, that should be much easier... It should be easy to hid the pcb's and still obtain the look of the original DS-16.

AX

Thinking on this for the past day I'm now wondering if this would just be easier to keep the machines alive and make the boards do the work, just switch the video and power with the press of a button, that should be much easier... It should be easy to hid the pcb's and still obtain the look of the original DS-16.

AX

Couldn't you just hook up 6 Genesis systems to an A/V selector? You know, the ones for hooking up multiple systems to a TV. They usually have 5 or 6 inputs, you could turn them all on at once and then just hit the switch for the game you want to play. Seems easier :)

AX

Couldn't you just hook up 6 Genesis systems to an A/V selector? You know, the ones for hooking up multiple systems to a TV. They usually have 5 or 6 inputs, you could turn them all on at once and then just hit the switch for the game you want to play. Seems easier :)

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking at this point, but instead of just a system selector, I want it to appear from the surface to be a DS-16, and with an arcade style button be able to move on to the next game/system just like the real thing. This is a simulation / illusion. A powered system selector would be a great way to do it. All the audio can be hooked up to the speakers, and don't have to go through the selector leaving lots of extra space. Power can be piped through the audio jacks (in theory) and hooked up to each board. Using an electric switch box, will make it possible to switch through the selections by a single button push. I'll have to find the right system selector for my needs, but I'm sure this is way easier than finding an IC to handle the task.

AX

Before I start, yes, I know that flash carts are easier.

My goal since, Sega Genesis Kiosks are hard to find, is to build one. The only part that needs a bit of help is the DS-16 or six game selector. I figure that six Genesis systems will need to die to give up their cartridge ports (unless anyone knows where to just buy them) unlike NES they don't seem to be for sale everywhere, and they are easy enough to desolder. I figure I can get a board made at one of those PCB per square inch places. The next trick is how to get the 74 pins on each of the ports to change. Since not much is known about doing this through the EXP port, I was planning to wire directly into the Genesis that is used. Some of the cartridge wires can be shared because they are not used. (see cart pinout I got from the web below this post) I figure that one or more IC's will need to be used in conjunction with the two wires from the reset button on the Genesis. The goal is to have six games in six slots. Press of one button and the unit resets and switches over to another cartridge (like a neo geo mvs). The question I have for anyone who knows about IC's, is there a family of IC's that will be able to handle all of the wires from the cart port and if so, can you help someone who doesn't know much about the use of them?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

AX

A01	GND		B01	?
A02	5v		B02	!HRST
A03	A08		B03	?
A04	A11		B04	A09
A05	A07		B05	A10
A06	A12		B06	A18
A07	A06		B07	A19
A08	A13		B08	A20
A09	A05		B09	A21
A10	A14		B10	A22
A11	A04		B11	A23
A12	A15		B12	Video
A13	A03		B13	Vsync
A14	A16		B14	HSync
A15	A02		B15	HS_CLK
A16	A17		B16	!C_OE
A17	A01		B17	!C_CE
A18	GND		B18	!AS
A19	D07		B19	CLK
A20	D00		B20	!DTACK
A21	D08		B21	?
A22	D06		B22	D15
A23	D01		B23	D14
A24	D09		B24	D13
A25	D05		B25	D12
A26	D02		B26	!LO_MEM
A27	D10		B27	!RST
A28	D04		B28	!LDS
A29	D03		B29	!UDSW
A30	D11		B30	!S_RST
A31	5v		B31	?
A32	GND		B32	!C_DTCT

Why do you need to switch all the pins? It seems like just masking the chip selects should be enough for most purposes (C_OE, C_CS) as long as the carts are just plain carts, and not something fancy like a 32X. (I'm not sure if you'd need to do more than just C_OE and C_CS. I'm not really familiar with the Genesis' specific bus.)

Then all you need to do is wire everything up as a bus, with just those lines going through some additional logic. e.g. a handful of 74LS32s and a 74LS138 to provide the "selected cartridge" signal that you OR with. (The reason you'd use OR is that the select lines are active-low.) Or, you could put it all on a single CPLD, even. Then you just need some logic to provide the 3 bit code that says which cart was selected.

Alternately, use a PIC to provide handle the input and provide the select lines going out, and use 74LS32s to do the actual masking.

Most multi cart selector usually toggles CE lines and Vcc lines to disable all but one cart. You will need to interface the selector into Genesis' reset button to it resets when you change carts so you don't end up with garbage.

One Dentist's office in Lapeer (don't remember which one, south of Lapeer city on M-24, north of I-69) has 2 Sega Genesis Kiosks with multi cart selectors running mainly to keep little brats from making hell. If you find them and make a sweet offer they may sell it. Perhaps up-trading to a pair of Wii systems + pair of TVs + selection of E rated games?

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure I remember an ad in Gamepro magazine somewhere around 1996-97 about a Sega Genesis Jukebox. Not the kiosk...

The ad showed, what looked like, a cartridge organizer holding 6 games (2 rows of 3 I believe) with a button over each game. I think it had a standard looking cart in the genesis with a cable coming out of it...maybe.

It even said something about an SNES version to come. Thought it was kind of a waste to only hold 6 games, but I still wanted it. In fact, I was searching for it when I found this post.

I wonder if it was ever released. Need to check the Japanese sites.

I figure that six Genesis systems will need to die to give up their cartridge ports (unless anyone knows where to just buy them) unlike NES they don't seem to be for sale everywhere, and they are easy enough to desolder.

I have enough parts boards here to pull cart slots from. Give me a shout and we can work something out.

RJ

I figure that six Genesis systems will need to die to give up their cartridge ports (unless anyone knows where to just buy them) unlike NES they don't seem to be for sale everywhere, and they are easy enough to desolder.

I have enough parts boards here to pull cart slots from. Give me a shout and we can work something out.

RJ

They're just standard 64-pin, 0.1" card edge connectors right? I found some new ones at Digikey for a little over $6. I'm sure if you check around, you might be able to find them cheaper.

At least in my case, I'm not sufficiently handy at desoldering for it be cost or time effective to desolder a 64-pin connector like that.

Funny you bring this up!

I was just thinking the other day about a 5-6 Genesis cart selector my buddy picked up at a Game Show alittle over 5 years ago. I for some reason thought it was a Mega Drive thing but he brought it to my attention that it was home made, even tho it looked store bought. I remember it had a cart that was inserted into the Gen. looked like my Game brain http://www.mr-atari.com/afbeeldingen/hardw...00gamebrain.jpg. The guy also had a SMS version. The guy that made them made consolized Neo Geo MVS/AES systems. My buddy kept in contact with him for a couple of years and had him do some work for him. I'll see if he still has it and if he can contact the guy. I remember my buddy sticking the SMS vesion of the game changer into his Gen with a master system converter and just thining how he used to mae fun of my Gen model 1 Sega CD model 1 32x setup looked crazy.