IGNORED

New attempt at pacman

Crazyace

Hi,

I was thinking about some things in one of the 7800 topics ( when CVGus bought up the colecovision Pacman compared to the atari pacman ) and it led to this quick hack..

I'd be interested in what this looks like on a real Atari, as the emulator shows a yellow line at the bottom ( and if I increase the display it barfs )

It's for an 8 bit , but a 5200 version should be trivial to prepare.

post-4839-1222201142_thumb.png

code.zip

As your background is yellow, as the dlist ends (with the JVB - $41), there is nothing to display but the background and so you see the bar. To counter this you can either add an extra line or two with 'black' only characters, but better is to use a DLI to turn the background colour to black. Example attached although xasm was the closest thing I had to build it with so the syntax has changed.

Regards,

Mark

CODE1.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new version with proper movement, rather than a hacked fixed screen.

It's not double buffered yet, so you can see the beam catch up with the sprite drawing...

Also, only the horizontal kernel is there at the moment ( I'll work on the vertical kernel tomorrow )

The nice thing about this method is all 5 objects can be on the same line without any flickering, and each sprite is 4 colours, so the ghosts have eyes.

The code is not optimised fully yet either :)

post-4839-1223162258_thumb.png

code.zip

Here's a new version with proper movement, rather than a hacked fixed screen.

It's not double buffered yet, so you can see the beam catch up with the sprite drawing...

Also, only the horizontal kernel is there at the moment ( I'll work on the vertical kernel tomorrow )

The nice thing about this method is all 5 objects can be on the same line without any flickering, and each sprite is 4 colours, so the ghosts have eyes.

The code is not optimised fully yet either :)

:-o

Yeah it currently scrolls with the joypad ( 8 directions ) while the sprites follow a test path ( The background colour change shows the timing of each softsprite )

It's basically as I have no graphic design ability, so it's easier to work with exact graphics for testing rather than trying to resize sprites and background :)

• 1 year later...

To each his own. Personally, I feel that posting demos or examples is a VERY big help in getting a handle over what works and what doesn't...not to mention bug reports. Working completely on the side just shuts you out of a lot of helpful feedback - potentially setting you back quite far if a glitch is discovered down the line.

Hi.

Looks great, but could you just say something more about the way you intend to get 4 at a Line, and, by the way, why this line at the front of the Enemys (it is Backgr. colour from what we can see on the side Borders colours):

post-6517-128455898329_thumb.png

Hope someone wants to do some Gfxs. this could end up (hope it come to an END, a good end) in a New Pac Man.

By the way, I remmember a Scrolling PacMan type Game from the Past: Pepsi Challenge Mad Mix.

Just port the Gfxs. and we have it:

MadMix_Tittle_C64.bmpMadMix_C64.bmp

MadMix_CPC.bmp

MadMix_MSX.bmp

MadMix_ZX.bmp

Greetings.

José Pereira.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Looks great, but could you just say something more about the way you intend to get 4 at a Line, and, by the way, why this line at the front of the Enemys (it is Backgr. colour from what we can see on the side Borders colours):

post-6517-128455898329_thumb.png

I expect he's putting 4x16-pixel ghosts on a line using underlays. You can see a bit of the background because they're slightly misaligned.

• 2 months later...

This is awesome stuff ... I think a proper pac man game, done at this resolution with a scrolling maze, would be super cool. If I remember rightly, does the NES version also scroll the maze?

NES Pac-Man does not, but Pac-Man is a little big for the maze.. Tengen's version of Ms. Pac-Man does scroll, but only vertically.