IGNORED

Anyone else think the Sears Video Arcade II is cool?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

I've always really liked this system. I've also always wanted to know if the sticks can be read as joystick and paddle at the same time, thus hopefully offering a cheap 'rotating' joystick alternative for mame use (and for future 2600 games that would benefit from such a controller (like tron,) and maybe even some hacks that might put the functionality back into an existing 2600 game (like a rotating arm in front line,) :)

I've always really liked this system. I've also always wanted to know if the sticks can be read as joystick and paddle at the same time, thus hopefully offering a cheap 'rotating' joystick alternative for mame use (and for future 2600 games that would benefit from such a controller (like tron,) and maybe even some hacks that might put the functionality back into an existing 2600 game (like a rotating arm in front line,) :)

quick question on these:

What's the output DC voltage amperage and polarity on the power supplies?

The one that came with the console was 10V AC, not sure about amperage, I don't have the original. An NES power supply works great. Any AC or DC power supply over 500ma, between 9-12v should work just fine, being that the console is meant to take AC, the polarity if you are using a DC power supply isn't an issue.

I've run mine from NES, SMS/Genesis 1 and Jaguar power supplies.

Edited by elliott

There are two other threads out there somewhere on Atari Age about the power supply for the Sears Video Arcade II. You can't use a regular 2600 power supply because the standard 2600 power supply has a male plug tip, and the Sears Video Arcade II requires a female plug tip. Mine came without a power supply, so I've been using a Sega Genesis power supply. But there is another thread out there, I apologize for not having the link handy, in which a couple of Atari Age members discuss the power supplies pretty thoroughly. They did say that a Sega Genesis power supply was okay to use with no ill effects. And so far that has worked for mine.

There are two other threads out there somewhere on Atari Age about the power supply for the Sears Video Arcade II. You can't use a regular 2600 power supply because the standard 2600 power supply has a male plug tip, and the Sears Video Arcade II requires a female plug tip. Mine came without a power supply, so I've been using a Sega Genesis power supply. But there is another thread out there, I apologize for not having the link handy, in which a couple of Atari Age members discuss the power supplies pretty thoroughly. They did say that a Sega Genesis power supply was okay to use with no ill effects. And so far that has worked for mine.

Polarity wouldn't be the only problem with trying to use a 2600 power supply.

My SVAII has a coaxial type power supply connection. All the 2600's I've seen use a phono plug type.

The power supply that came with my SVA (from Goodwill) which seems to work fine is Atari branded, part number C017539: 9.5V AC 750 mA. There is no polarity indication since it's AC.

Edited by BigO

If you can't find a power supply at a flea market or don't have one that's compatible then may I suggest Radio Shack's replacement adapters for AT&T answering machines.

Everybody got on me for suggesting these because they said they were unnecessarily hard to find but what's easier then just going to a local mall and picking one up. Where I come from - Philly, PA - There simply aren't many places to find anything for this system; you just mention it and people give you this wierd look like why are you even looking for that.

The reason why I suggest this one is they fit the specs perfectly that the manual for the system suggests to use:

9VAC 750MA

adapter's specs - 9,10.2,11,12 VAC 800MA. - just set it to 9 and you're good to go.

By the way, I tried this one myself after my original adapter stopped working and it works as good as the original with the Sears Video Arcade II.

Edited by MMyers

• 4 months later...

yeah, I'm resurrecting an old thread!

I bought a Sears Video Arcade II some time ago but never got to try it because it didn't come with a power supply. I won a real cheap one on eBay last week for the power supply. The SVAII that came today was disgusting and I wound up taking the motherboard out and tossing the case. Trust me, it was beyond salvage.

After hooking them both up I only have one word to say... COOL!

The LEDs look killer and the touch buttons are a major improvement IMHO.

If you have a chance to score one go for it! You won't be disappointed!

• 11 years later...

Oh heck yeah it is! (cool)  Exact casing at the 7800; but with the 2600/Sears flair in the middle.  All blacked out like the Vader but even more modern/high-tech looking.  It's like the console version of KITT from Knight Rider with those red lights on the dash when it's fired up.  Plus the 4 controller ports! 

Cool controller too.  My friend @m2carb recently composite modded one for me and re-built the controllers from the ground up.  When they are 100% working properly they are not quiiiiite as good as CX-40's, but they are close, AND they include the paddle controllers which is just an awesome feature and really innovative if you think about it.   Keeping one in the mix going forward for sure. 

PXL_20210124_143717134.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow! This thing is cool. This unit appears to have had limited use. The console is in amazing shape and the controllers aren’t bad. Love the paddles (played Super Breakout). I’m very impressed with the picture quality of this console. I was not expecting it to look so good, but am very happy with the results.

45710ED2-0157-474C-B52B-3AECF4E4C887.jpeg

95E76962-BF9B-4512-9C0A-516054965C84.jpeg

E7FB9B3F-9818-423D-B7B7-38B099961705.jpeg

B4F3D3C5-AD2E-4911-8339-0F7415B37C12.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Wow! This thing is cool. This unit appears to have had limited use. The console is in amazing shape and the controllers aren’t bad. Love the paddles (played Super Breakout). I’m very impressed with the picture quality of this console. I was not expecting it to look so good, but am very happy with the results.

45710ED2-0157-474C-B52B-3AECF4E4C887.jpeg

95E76962-BF9B-4512-9C0A-516054965C84.jpeg

E7FB9B3F-9818-423D-B7B7-38B099961705.jpeg

B4F3D3C5-AD2E-4911-8339-0F7415B37C12.jpeg

Very nice snag! :)

• Like 1