IGNORED

Very bad Craigslist experience... opinions..

I met this guy through Craiglist. He was selling a Gamecube, 2 memory cards, all hookups, 1 controller and 2 games (Super Mario Sun and Mario Kart) all mint like new condition. He lives a good 45 minutes away in the boonies. I told him I would come out to his house on Saturday. I get out there and he doesn't say hi or anything, he just hands me a bag and says "I couldn't find the other Mario game." So I say listen I already have a GC and really wanted the two games so I need to shave off 10 dollars (I figure I drove way out here...) so he gives me this wrap about oweing his parents the money and he can't go down, so I say "then forget it" then he agrees to the modified price. I get in the car and realize there is only one memory card in the bag, so again I knock on his door and he comes to the door and he says "I couldn't find the other memory card either" so I say listen why dont you take your stuff back and give me my money. He says "no" and slams the door in my face. I flip out, I mean it's not about the memory card it's about not telling me, and then instead of talking he slams the door on me, so I kick his door and he has one of those metal screen door things and the metal part smashes in. I know it sounds extreme but you weren't there and didn't deal with this guy. I was literally ready to throw down with him when I walked back up the stairs because the whole thing was very uncool. Anyway I leave.

Now he sends me an email saying "I found the memory card but you cant have it because you broke the door" and "Im calling the cops on you for breaking my door" and on and on... the door is worth maybe 1 dollar, it was a real piece of shit. The thing is now I feel like yea best thing would of been to walk away right in the beginning but I didn't so maybe I over reacted.. I dunno this guy really deserved to get a smack and beleive it or not I am not a violent person. I just dont know who is in the wrong here.

BTW the one game I did get was far from mint condition the disk is filled with scratches and smuges I wouldn't even buy it originally and now he is sending me an email saying "I could of got twice the price for that stuff on eBay you ripped me off!" this guy is unbelievable.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Now he sends me an email saying "I found the memory card but you cant have it because you broke the door" and "Im calling the cops on you for breaking my door" and on and on... the door is worth maybe 1 dollar, it was a real piece of shit. .... I just dont know who is in the wrong here.

Oh, the guy is rude and an ass for sure.

But......

You did, admittedly, damage his property in a fit of anger, and it's certainly not for you to determine how much it is worth. If he really does call the cops, expect to be going to home depot and spending the $50+ to buy him a new one.

...and toilet paper the lawn!!

Let the buyer beware. That's all I can say. Ebay and craigslist share a few things in common with any marketplace, and one of those is thoroughly check your items before you hand over your cash. If they aren't satisfactory, walk away.

You have to realize that craigslist really is no different than going to a thrift store--you might come back empty handed. I have a policy that if I drive over ten miles out of my way, I'll look for something cheap so I don't come back empty. Or, I might just plan to visit some other place, like I might visit Marie's and have dinner on a trip to Norman just in case I wind up not finding any games. (Marie's in only in Norman, BTW). That way, I'm not out of luck on the gas I used up.

The one time I got a deal on craigslist my wife and I went together to pick it up. We made a Saturday trip of it, with craigslist as the first stop. We wound up hitting game stores all over, including some on the opposite side of town. If the CL deal had gone bad, we'd have still gone shopping anyway.

Damn! We could have had another video game related murder in the news, but nooooooo!

So you paid him before you looked at everything in the bag? I like your style. Can I interest you in a bag full of very rare Gamecube games? No need to look in the bag. Just hand over the cash and try to ignore my uncontrollable giggling.

I've had such good experience with people in the past I really let my guard down. This story DOES have a happy ending. I received an email shortly after posting here and he apologized, he also offered to reimburse me some money to make up for the memory card and non mint condition game. I sent him an email back thanking him but said you keep the money, I over reacted too. he sent another apologizing again and explaining that he had a lot of things going on and that he had been "smoking lately" (I assume not cigarettes) and that is why things went the way they did.

Like I said it wasn't so much about the memory card or the game. It was about the deception, rudeness, and general feeling that I was being jerked around. I feel things ended fine and it is a lesson learned. I did end up with a nice cube that has the digital output which my cube did not have and the game does work fine, so as far as I am concerned let by gones be by gones.

Reminds me of a recent non-issue I had. A person I purchased games from goofed, but I was like, hey, it's all good. Stuff happens, ya know? He still offered me some freebies, but it really wasn't necessary.

If it were me that made a mistake, I'd be really relieved when the other dude cut me a break, too.

I personally would never go a significant distance to get something off Craigslist. This way if the deal goes wrong you haven't lost as much time, money and especially Gas. The other reason is sometimes in the time you are going there they (seller) might get a significantly better bid and may not honor your deal. The latter has never happened to me but i'm sure it does happen.

The people i've bought stuff from have been pretty good. Many offer to help carry things to my car and some of them have the system running so that they prove to me that it is working. I also try to judge their personality based on their email writtings and phone calls before i agree. Sometimes an email response doesn't sound right so i don't persue it.

I've sold a few items on craigs list, and 2 out of the 3 deals were awful.

First item I sold, was this monsterous server case (with wheels!). A guy came by my work, picked it up, and handed me cash... No problem what-so-ever.

Now, the other two deals, were awful. About a year ago, I went through a massive house "cleansing" process, where I just tossed a bunch of uncessary crap. On one of my bookshelves, I had two rows of Windows 2000 Books from back when I was studying for my MCSE in Windows 2000. This stuff was out of date, but still good. I wasn't using it, so I put an ad on Craigs list for Free books (i just wanted them out of my house... I didn't want to mess with selling these things). A guy emailed me and said he was interested. But, he couldn't pick them up at my place of work, as he was currently disabled. he was wanting me to drive them out to Yukon, which is west of OKC--not a close drive for me at all. I said, "well, for some gas money, I will".... He wasn't willing to do that, so he was going to send his wife into town at the end of the week to pick them up. A week went by, and I never heard from him or his wife. In the meantime, I've been pushing these books around in the back of my car, and I was fed up with the whole mess. He then emails me and asked if I would reconsider driving them out to his house--unfortunetly, he didn't have any money. I felt like a jerk telling a disabled guy "no,", but hell these books were free! He then sends me an emailing stating how "Unchristian like I was...".... blah blah balh. Needless to say, I found another person interested in the books that was willing to come and get them. But, that whole deal lasted for two weeks.

Another box of items I was trying to part with was a huge box of Iomega Zip Disks. I put a value of $10 on the mess, as these were still shrink wrapped. I received a call, from a lady---who was also disabled, saying she wanted them but couldn't afford them until next week, until she get's paid. So, here I sit, on a huge ass box of Zip Disks, and I agree to hold onto them for a week, until she get's paid. At the end of the week, she asks if I could deliver them---she offered to give me $5 extra to drive them to her apartment. Luckily, she literally lived a block down the street from me, so it wasn't a big deal. But both of these deals were painful for me.

So, now I have a few bad experiences with Craigs list, and I'm uncertain if I want to use it again in the future.... Anybody else had bad experiences with Craigs List?

He then sends me an emailing stating how "Unchristian like I was...".... blah blah balh. Needless to say, I found another person interested in the books that was willing to come and get them. But, that whole deal lasted for two weeks.

How ridiculous.

I've sold a ton of things on Craigslist. Here in Austin it gets a quite a bit of traffic, and it's trivial to get rid of stuff as long as you do a good job describing it and taking nice pictures helps as well. The only problems I've had are with people who don't show up, but that's to be expected. If you dare list something for free (which I've done), your inbox will be absolutely flooded. I've also got some pretty good deals from people on CL, so if I need something that's one of the first places I'll look. I've met people in neutral locations, had people come to my house and gone to others' houses and nary an issue as far as that goes. I suggest using a separate email address that doesn't contain your real name so if you do encounter a psycho, that makes it harder for them to harass you.

One thing that's annoying is if you try to sell expensive electronics (like an iPhone or laptop), you'll get a ton of responses from spammers. They're easy to spot, but still a waste of my time.

..Al

I met this guy through Craiglist. He was selling a Gamecube, 2 memory cards, all hookups, 1 controller and 2 games (Super Mario Sun and Mario Kart) all mint like new condition. He lives a good 45 minutes away in the boonies. I told him I would come out to his house on Saturday. I get out there and he doesn't say hi or anything, he just hands me a bag and says "I couldn't find the other Mario game." So I say listen I already have a GC and really wanted the two games so I need to shave off 10 dollars (I figure I drove way out here...) so he gives me this wrap about oweing his parents the money and he can't go down, so I say "then forget it" then he agrees to the modified price. I get in the car and realize there is only one memory card in the bag, so again I knock on his door and he comes to the door and he says "I couldn't find the other memory card either" so I say listen why dont you take your stuff back and give me my money. He says "no" and slams the door in my face. I flip out, I mean it's not about the memory card it's about not telling me, and then instead of talking he slams the door on me, so I kick his door and he has one of those metal screen door things and the metal part smashes in. I know it sounds extreme but you weren't there and didn't deal with this guy. I was literally ready to throw down with him when I walked back up the stairs because the whole thing was very uncool. Anyway I leave.

Now he sends me an email saying "I found the memory card but you cant have it because you broke the door" and "Im calling the cops on you for breaking my door" and on and on... the door is worth maybe 1 dollar, it was a real piece of shit. The thing is now I feel like yea best thing would of been to walk away right in the beginning but I didn't so maybe I over reacted.. I dunno this guy really deserved to get a smack and beleive it or not I am not a violent person. I just dont know who is in the wrong here.

BTW the one game I did get was far from mint condition the disk is filled with scratches and smuges I wouldn't even buy it originally and now he is sending me an email saying "I could of got twice the price for that stuff on eBay you ripped me off!" this guy is unbelievable.

OMG...I have been hearing about Nightmare experiences on Craiglists.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cops, I'm sure they'll consider it a "civil matter" outsider of their juristiction. The e-mails are just his way of hurling jabs at you, I seriouly doubt he'll retain a lawyer to sue you for a $10 screen door.

Next time inspect the items carefully before exchanging money and always keep your cool. Kicking the door was pretty immature imo.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cops, I'm sure they'll consider it a "civil matter" outsider of their juristiction. The e-mails are just his way of hurling jabs at you, I seriouly doubt he'll retain a lawyer to sue you for a $10 screen door.

Next time inspect the items carefully before exchanging money and always keep your cool. Kicking the door was pretty immature imo.

Yes I agree I was immature, but he really was being an ass. Later that day he sent me an email apologizing for the way he treated me and offering to send me some money in the mail to make up for the lack of memory card and scratched game. He said he was "dealing with a few things at once" when I came over and he had been "smoking a lot lately" (whatever). He even offered to throw in another game for free he found. I declined his offer, but offered my own apology since I figure at least one of us should of been adult about it. Anyway all is okay now.

. . . he sent another apologizing again and explaining that he had a lot of things going on and that he had been "smoking lately" (I assume not cigarettes) and that is why things went the way they did.

But that stuff is supposed to expand your mind and make you mellow and wise. I bet they got the words expand and expend mixed up in their cloudy minds.

. . . he sent another apologizing again and explaining that he had a lot of things going on and that he had been "smoking lately" (I assume not cigarettes) and that is why things went the way they did.

But that stuff is supposed to expand your mind and make you mellow and wise. I bet they got the words expand and expend mixed up in their cloudy minds.

Maybe he was smokin rocks. That definitely doesn't mellow you out.

Maybe he was smokin rocks. That definitely doesn't mellow you out.

I've been corresponding with the guy and I guess he has bi polar disorder. It turns out he is an alright person we just got off on the wrong foot. All is forgiven on both sides now. I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue but I only wish we had taken the time in the beginning to talk. Another factor was it was pooring rain at the time and I was in a rush to get back into the car. I guess these things happen.

As far as what he was smoking that was making him nuts... who knows what weed does to someone who has serious issues like bi-polar?!? I have a feeling mixing ganja with whatever meds he takes is not a good idea.

Break it off though... he isn't your friend. I wouldn't keep talking. You never know when he will revert back to Jeckle.

AX

Yeah, leave it at that. Bipolar peo;lle are quite hard to deal with.

My sister's ex-husband is bipolar and he would go off in a second for no reason. He smoked a lot of weed and it mellowed him out, pretty much overcame the effects of any meds he was on (lots of negative side effects). The family was relieved when he had a bag. But he was still hard to deal with.

No offense to the seller you dealt with, but say thanks walk away. He's not your friend, like Ax said.

Nathan

Opinions:

Out of line to kick in the door. He might not have been much of a brain case, but then you joined him.

Yeh, look at what you are getting before you hand over money. You have more negotiating power when you hold the money so hold it till all agreed items are in your hands.

Yeh, the last part says a lot... negotiate (I do this for my line of work), look at what you're getting. Not all there? Work out a new price, haggle, get other items maybe thrown in the deal, all's good? THEN hand over the money.

-----------------------------------------------

Craigslist... Freelists... to matter the fact I learned all I learned in the retro scene around 1999-2003, but the stories are the same. I was thrilled to meet other retro fans, did a lot of trading, got burned by someone I knew for 15 years when I came back to the Atari scene. Learned a few things since then.

Can't say it enough, pay for services AFTER they've been rendered. Don't give old friends the opportunity or temptation to screw you over because they hold the goods AND the money.

And if they do screw you over, walk away. Either they will eventually make good, or you will never trade with them again. If you, say.. get mad and kick in their door, then they generally feel justifed that they screwed you over. On the other hand they MIGHT decide later to try to make things right. Patience.

Break it off though... he isn't your friend. I wouldn't keep talking. You never know when he will revert back to Jeckle.

AX

Yeah, leave it at that. Bipolar peo;lle are quite hard to deal with.

My sister's ex-husband is bipolar and he would go off in a second for no reason. He smoked a lot of weed and it mellowed him out, pretty much overcame the effects of any meds he was on (lots of negative side effects). The family was relieved when he had a bag. But he was still hard to deal with.

No offense to the seller you dealt with, but say thanks walk away. He's not your friend, like Ax said.

Nathan

Yes I think you guys are right, but I have to say I like his Dr Jeckyl personality. If he were always like that I could even see us becoming friends. After all this isn't that funny, but the memory of the way he acted in the beginning is still with me and that is why I told him forget the money... let's let by gones be by gones. I like that at least we can both walk away from this without a bad taste in our mouths. If I had known he had serious mental issues I would of approached the whole thing differently. Like many of you have pointed out, I did not handle it well either. I guess I've always been lucky. I trade/buy mostly locally on this board and occasionally on Ebay (although less and less on ebay). I have been doing it since the late 80's (back then it wasnt retro of course!)and I can count the bad experiences on one hand. I always tell people that dont understand the hobby that half the fun is meeting the other people that enjoy the same thing.

But, he couldn't pick them up at my place of work, as he was currently disabled.

Do you think it's a scam? I put a waterbed on Craigslist in Cleveland and got the same response from someone...

Here's part of it:

Hi

I am looking for a waterbed for health reasons. Being on social security I could only afford $100.00.

About the guys door you broke,its jam tarts like this who provoke,everyone has a fuse,some longer some shorter.I wouldnt lose sleep over it,the guys a f$$$k wad.And some one else will dummy him up good with his attitude,only a matter of time.In some cases some deserve a good smack in the mouth no doubt,like some of the bad ebay sellers ive read about here in other threads,but is it worth an assault charge,IMO no,i let someone else do it ;) karma is such a wonderful thing.

Edited by Rik