IGNORED

5 things u wished the 5200 had

phuzaxeman

Yeah yeah.. The 5200, The A800, The A400.. They're all essentially the same thing. I just call them the Atari 8-bit family. That being said this is what we want the 5200 to have, not the A8 :P And I say..

1. RELIABLE controllers. I would have been fine with the regular controllers as a kid if they just would've stopped breaking all the time :(

2. Tempest

3. Sinistar

4. Black Widow

5. Major Havoc :D

We'll see how Tempest and Sinistar develops in the future :)

Funny all these wishes can be granted by firing up an A8 computer

Does the Atari 800 have Bosconian? I didn't know that.

Okay, so I still wish for a controller with two buttons on the top, next to each other, with independent functions, for the 5200. That would be very nice, instead of the buttons on the side.

I guess there's always the next best thing--a 5200 Redemption.

I wish the console was bigger. I keep losing mine.

yea it should have been as big as an osborne portable computer that way you could put your tv on top and have it out of the way

oh they should have had a vcr built in and had it play games over the video and maybe had special tapes to be played as background images to certain games

kinda like how john madden draws on the teleprompter

I'm a big fan of the 5200 and I think with its great arcade ports and XE/XL conversions - it has the games. The size makes it unique and while a/v would be nice, this would have been uncommon in 1982. However - two things I wish for and the machine would go from great to awesome:

1. nice non-mushy firebuttons

2. centering joystick (the analog is good with me)

The joystick looks greats to me, but the firebuttons are the fatal flaw in my opinion.

Off the top of my head:

1) Better functioning controllers (not too much the joysticks, though self-centering would be a plus; I mean the buttons in general-i.e. "Start" and "Fire" buttons.

2) I'll also say smaller case, while I like Big Daddy, it would mean more room (Atari should've released the 5100)

3) Converting the 4-port from a propriety box to a standard switch box and move the AC adapter to the back of the unit, just like the 2-port

4) Backward compatibility with the 2600 games WITHOUT the adapter

5) An official paddle control, so we won't have to mutilate our joysticks.

How can one lose a 5200 because of its size?

Whaaat? Its already big as a space ship. There is barely enough room on my TV stand to set the Sega CDX next to it!

I think your sarcasm detectors may need servicing.

:)

I think the 5200's size is just right. It's distinctly 5200ish.

• Like 1

How can one lose a 5200 because of its size?

Whaaat? Its already big as a space ship. There is barely enough room on my TV stand to set the Sega CDX next to it!

I think your sarcasm detectors may need servicing.

:)

I think the 5200's size is just right. It's distinctly 5200ish.

Sarcasm....What's that? :D

• 1 year later...

if there were 5 things you wished the 5200 had, what would they be?

1) reliable controllers (self centering would be great but i really like the 5200 controllers already despite what critics say)

2) backward 2600 compatibility

3) audio/video outputs

4) more 4 player games

5) smaller console (i like the original and think its great, but having a smaller console would be nice)

I know I'm late to the game here but my 5 things I'd wish for would be -

1) All the missing Atari classic games being released officially or completed (Xevious, Asteroids, Quantum, Space Duel, Millipede, Lunar Lander, Battlezone, Red Baron, Asteroids Deluxe, Tempest, Black Widow, Gravitar, Crystal Castles, Marble Madness, Sprint, Gauntlet, etc.) with corresponding controller (so Crystal Castles has true trackball support, for example) and 4-player options if available.

2) Controls for any of the above that required something other than the joystick or the trackball being released (paddle, spinner, asteroids-type buttons controller, digital joystick) so that arcade feel was maintained.

3) Other favorite* arcade games being released, whether they already existed for the 400/800 or not (Bosconian, Rally-X, Space Firebird, Polaris, Galaga, Astro Blaster, Tron, Gaplus, Moon Cresta, Karate Champ, Rip-Off, Star Castle, Scramble, etc.) and also with correct controller support.

4) More games that utilized the 5200 keypad like Star Raiders did (I'm thinking something like the 400/800 game Eastern Front would probably have needed more than fire buttons) to make those overlays useful. Adventure/strategy type games could use that, Doom type games as well.

5) More of the missing 2600 versions converted (not simply ported with nothing added) to 5200 versions (Laser Blast, Dodge 'Em, Bowling, Space War, Circus Atari, Canyon Bomber, etc.), so that means better graphics, more levels/options, correct controllers.

* My favorites, obviously.

As it is I love the 5200, it's tied with the Vectrex for me in terms of favorite game systems, I even like the analog joysticks (when they work).

I think you've all forgotten the one feature that every piece of home electronics needs: a blindingly bright blue LED.

I don't wish them since I have alternatives now but it would have helped back then:

(1) I think a start/select/option keys on the console so even if A5200 controller breaks, at least you can start the game and use the stick part at least since that usually doesn't break.

(2) Integrate the Trackball into the unit since it's almost as big as the unit itself and doesn't break too often; that would take care of (1) above as well.

Unit is big enough that one could incorporate a LCD and li-ion battery and make a portable out of the unit today.

1) TEMPEST! And an RPG or two ("games").

2) Digital controllers.

3) A sort of module to allow use of 2600 paddle controllers. Simple enough to build.

4) A Y-Plug with switches to allow one to plug in two controllers (you only had to kill the common directional control circuit; everything else was digital).

5) A light gun, possibly? And did I mention Tempest?

1. Compatibility with CX-40 joysticks and VCS paddle controllers

2. Mo' betta games, as in Galaga, Make Trax, I-Robot, Pac Man Jr, Crystal Castles, Xevious, Star Wars Arcade, Battlezone, Tempest, etc.

3. Full compatibility with VCS game carts without a plug in adapter

4. Compatibility with Colecovision game carts

5. Compatibility with A400/800 games

6. Compatibility with Intellivision game carts

1. Steering controller like the Colecovision

2. Better Pack-in game, like Donkey Kong

3. A 2600 adapter that didn't stick up and look stupid

4. Simpler controllers

5. Peripherals that used the expansion port.

Curt

if there were 5 things you wished the 5200 had, what would they be?

1) reliable controllers (self centering would be great but i really like the 5200 controllers already despite what critics say)

2) backward 2600 compatibility

3) audio/video outputs

4) more 4 player games

5) smaller console (i like the original and think its great, but having a smaller console would be nice)

1) I wish the stock controllers were'nt made with such cheap-o plastic and rubber parts that break apart so easily. To me it's a good controller design ,but it was poorly made with really weak materials.and as far as games....

2) Gauntlet

3) Mappy

4) Rampage

5) a good racing game with a steering wheel controller like Coleco's