IGNORED

What are your favourite Atari 2600 sound effects?

Supermarket

Yars' Revenge has a bunch of my favorites. Just about every beep, squeal and buzz from that game has become iconic.

Outlaw and Wizard of Wor have some great unintentional sound effects when both players die at the same time.

Edited by skunkworx

Space Invaders "march", espec. when there's 4 left...dutdutdutdutDUT, dutdutdutdutDUT

Superman's X-ray vision

the little ship in Asteroids

the short "blipblip" in Missile Command when you've already shot twice

ring the bell in Kangaroo

when the pts add up fast in Super Breakout

Crystal Castles, the short tune after you clear a castle/level (Nutcracker Suite?)

River Raid low fuel warning (you dont WANT to hear it but it's neat)

River Raid "refueling to fuel full" noise

firing your gun(s?) in Defender

Edited by RJ

Lots of good ones that people have already mentioned, such as the sounds from Circus Atari, Yars' Revenge, Pitfall!, and Space Invaders.

I always liked some of the sound effects in Cosmic Ark, such as during the meteor shower, how each meteor destroyed made a higher tone, until the final, high-pitched "ding" signaled that the wave was over. Slurping up the little critters on the planet had a distinctive noise. I like the "whooshing" sound made when your character goes through the tunnel in Alien. Others that I like:

• the buzz bomber drone in Atlantis
  • when the robots in Berzerk get close to a wall and try to shoot you, in sounds like strange Morse code "dit-dit-dit"
  • screeching tires during a high speed lane shift in Dodge 'Em

Yes - the Asteroids background thud was great.

All the sounds from Yar's revenge too.`

I loved the machine gun sound in Game 17 of Combat (bi-planes). My bro and I used to max the volume up on the TV with that one when the parents were out!

my favorite with a bullet is the warping sound in solaris. There are times when it hits a certain off-sound that is just as sci-fi and unearthly as any sound i can imagine. and I love that it's not always the same sound twice.

Also love the opening sound of stargate (and all its sounds, really. especially the laser fire.) and the 'music' which is really just a weird ass sound effect imho in firefly.

The missile and city count after each level on Missile Command! :)

I especially enjoyed the "you have a bonus city coming back to life" sound that comes right after it.

The "Nuclear Apocalypse" sound at the end is technically even cooler, but a real drag to hear :)