IGNORED

Floppy Image Runner enhancing

ppera

I'm on to adding some new features to Floppy Image Runner.

First is support for multy-floppy games. It means that need to select more than 1 floppy image file, and during gameplay to change active image (for floppy A) somehow.

In attachment is test version of multy-floppy Image Runner. It is mostly for machines with 4MB RAM, since sets 1MB for system, games, and rest above for RAMDISKs.

Usage is relatively simple: mount all required images in order with Mount ST or Mount MSA. Always mount first (boot) floppy first. After last mounting click on GO !. After reset game will start (or need to start from Desktop, A). This is old version based, so need to prevent hard disk driver load with ALT key.

Changing active image: by holding down left Shift key whan game asks some floppy. It will cycle between available images in order. After last first again, of course.

I tried it with Indiana Jones 3 (3 floppies) and worked well. 'Floppy' change is indicated by screen flashing. Then release fast left shift, to avoid multiple changes. When Game sees proper 'floppy' will stop asking for replace...

I really don't know with what games to test it further. Many multy-floppy one is with direct FDC access, so will not work with this... Many works from hard disk's any folder... But certainly we have a number of such which seeks files on A.

So, if someone can do couple tests and write his opinion/ideas...

Further development: multy floppy support in Imgrun Fast (for specific TOS versions). Then maybe will be good to use special fiel naming, so that PRG can automatically load all files. For instance naming first floppy image WHATEVER1.ST and others WHATEVER2.ST and so on...

.. in way good for people with not too much RAM (1MB mostly) - instead RAMdisk will use cache area on hard disk. Then may caching practically unlimited number of floppies (I know about game on 7 floppies max... ).

Maybe is good idea that in case of 2 floppy game map first to A, and second to B...

Some ideas are welcome, especially considering 'floppy' change during gameplay.

Then, I thinking for longer time about solving run of (some) games using direct FDC access. As we have number of games using same mechanisms for direct FDC as some linkings and similar (I really don't remember their names), it is likely possible to do some 'on-fly' patching of code and replacing floppy controller access with RAMdisk (or hard disk) access.

So, former/current crackers, if can suply some infos about popular direct FDC systems used, I will be grateful.

IMGRMUT2.ZIP

• 12 years later...

Hi, does this work on UK Atari STE with 4 MB RAM and TOS 1.62? I tried it and could not get the floppy to change by pressing left shift.

Maybe I'm not following the instructions correctly? I click Mount ST, select disc 1, then click Mount ST again and select disc 2, then click Go, and hold down left Alt key. 

Edited by jmprice_314159

This was loooong time ago. In meantime lot of it happened, lot of games is adapted for hard disk run - and that's what is more comfortable way of running multi floppy games.

Considering using floppy image files on Ataris equipped with hard disks/Flash card adapters there are better ways now. But first to reply about disk change: it works not with all SW/games - if code in SW replaces TOS keyboard reading code pressing of shift will be not detected, so no 'disk' change. And there is actually no way to solve it without changing game's code self - separately for each one. What is done in most of hard disk adaptations - needed for exit to Desktop and state saves.

Now we have better ways of 'running' floppy images - main advantage is that images are not kept in RAM, but on hard disk, and when there is floppy disk/data access from SW (via TOS calls like Trap #1 and XBIOS ) then it will be read from hard disk and not RAM. So, less RAM usage, more and larger images possible.

Hard disk driver with Virtual Floppy feature: http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

It can work with ST floppy image files up to 2 MB size. And why 2 MB ? Right because avoiding 'disk' changes,  if possible. User can put in so large image file up to 3 usual DS floppy contents.  But don't expect that it will work with everything. Some SW, especially games have diverse ways of checking which floppy is inserted and even if all files are present in large image, will not detect that proper disk is inserted (check of disk Volume label, some special sector ...) . Then again, only changes in game code can solve it.

Even better Virtual Floppy solution: http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

It is integrated in TOS (improved original TOS versions), and that gives best results - RAM usage is same as by machines equipped only with floppy - hard disk driver is in ROM, and takes not RAM. Very large image files are possible, there is better disk image change with keyboard (that was hard part to solve), but as is said above - if SW/game code takes over keyboard read from TOS, it will not work.

My idea, 12 years ago about making some 'on fly' patching of disk access code was never realized, and things are that there is too much diverse direct FDC access code  often done not well, that it is almost impossible, for sure too much complications and time would be needed, for part of cracks, which might be not complete, for instance. Better to use STX and other images of originals as source - there are enough problems with them too.

Btw.  jmprice - what program/game is that ?

• Like 1

Hi, the game I tried was Barbarian 2, it has two .ST floppy images. There was no HAGA version of it that I could find, and it was one of my favourite games on the Atari ST. I have a previous PP HD driver from around August 2019 for the Ultrasatan. I think you're the same person I got the PP HD driver from?

From your message, perhaps I should try using http://atari.8bitchip.info/VirtualFloppy.html? I didn't see a download link on that page for the software though. Is there a link?

Thanks for the fast reply and the great work on the Atari ST.

Hmmm... - there are actually 2 Barbarian 2 games: one from Psygnosis, other from Palace . And they surely don't use TOS keyboard read. Will make HAGA releases of both.

That page is instructions for Virtual Floppy feature of improved TOS. You can not DL it - it needs replacement of TOS chips in ST. http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

And that will not solve disk replacement in case of Barbarian games . Originals are even without regular files, so I guess you used some crack where it was filed.

Ah, and yes, I'm the same ?

On 1/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, jmprice_314159 said:

With your replacement TOS, my Atari STE has the chips soldered to the board so I think that won't work?

With the PP HD driver, the version I have is dated 2014. Is there a later one I can get?

Thanks!

PP HD driver, regular version from 2014 is latest. There is newer one, with Virtual Floppy feature, what is extended functionality.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

Yes, some ST(E) machines were shipped with TOS ROM chips without sockets (hard saving times ?) - in that case need to remove chips, solder sockets, and then can put updated EPROMs there ..

I dealt with Barbarian 2 from Psygnosis - hard case. Here is test version: BARB2PST.ZIP

Not complete game, 3-rd floppy is not yet implemented. There are 2 launchers - 1 is for machines with 1 MB RAM, other for 2 MB or more, then will have some animation after start .

There are 2 of such DL-able:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hgkdnnwym334ilg/1000GamesT02.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/77nh2flbsc4wqia/6PartGm.rar/file

First one is done special for people with older TOS versions 1.00 and 1.02 , but works fine on newer ones too.

Second one is for TOS 1.04 and later.  Images are for UltraSatan in first place, but will work with GigaFile, ICD adapters too.

And is possible to extract files from them.

Not all HDD games are included, later ones not for sure. It is lot of work to put it together with some system, so new release will wait some months.